Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2  Send TopicPrint
Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) Obsolete brass source (Read 11894 times)
singleshotsam
Oldtimer

Obsolete brass source
Feb 9th, 2011 at 9:49am
Print Post  
While attending the Shot Show I visited with a vendor that offers obsolete brass in a wide variety of calibers with the correct head stamp. They offer both European and American early and unique brass and it is made here in the USA. I thought it might be of interest to some of our members so I am posting the contact information.

SSS

Quality Cartridge
P.O. Box 445
Hollywood, MD. 20636
Pete Cardona president/contact 

301-373-3719
(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

IP Logged

Whistlepigger
Ex Member

Re: Obsolete brass source
Reply #1 - Feb 9th, 2011 at 4:08pm
Print Post  
Thank you very much.

IP Logged

rustyrelx
Senior Forum Member

Reply #2 - Feb 11th, 2011 at 3:35pm
Print Post  
Wow seems like they have a large inventory...  Shocked Smiley Smiley SmileyDon

IP Logged

frnkeore
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #3 - Feb 11th, 2011 at 5:02pm
Print Post  
The one that's missing that I'd like to find a source of is the 32 Ideal. Has anyone ever talked to Jamison to see if they have plans to make it?

Frank

ASSRA Member #696, ISSA Member #339
YIMAIM  
IP Logged

ledball
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #4 - Feb 11th, 2011 at 6:19pm
Print Post  
The little known 6 X 70R Norma is the same head size as the 28/30 Stevens and the 32 Stevens Ideal, the case is a little over 2 1/2 inch long. Cut it to 1.77 inch and presto a 32 Ideal.  Huntington was selling this brass for about a dollar a case.   ledball

IP Logged

frnkeore
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #5 - Feb 11th, 2011 at 8:57pm
Print Post  
Ledball,
I did some checking and I'm finding that the 32 Ideal only has a head size of about .347 - .348 or about .010 smaller than the 28/30 and the 6x70.

Frank

YIMAIM  
IP Logged

uscra112
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #6 - Feb 11th, 2011 at 9:54pm
Print Post  
Hey y'all.  ledball is having you on a little bit.  He told me about that brass at Huntington's, and I immediately ordered some.  Turned out that I got the last that will likely ever be, and I shared it with ledball.  Huntington's had bought a small amount left over from a special run, and they told me that it was virtually certain that there would never be any more.  

But never fear.   If I could squeeze .223 brass from .375 down to .315 base diameter to make .25-20SS, which I was doing until Jamison came to the rescue, then squeezing the same case down to .348 should be a doddle. Probably could be done on a strong reloading press.  For .32 Ideal, you would start with 5.6x50R, which is available, so there would be enough length.   The swaging leaves a little fillet at the base, so you'd want a lathe to skim this off, but it could be done with a drill press and a file.   Key factor is finding the right die to do the swaging.  The neck of an 8x57 sizer should be about right.  If I have time in the next week or so I'll try it.  I have a stash of 5.6x50R on hand.   A Model 44 in .32 Ideal has been in my mind for at least ten years.....

<div class=

IP Logged

frnkeore
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #7 - Feb 11th, 2011 at 10:50pm
Print Post  
USCRA,
What is the head and rim size on 5.6x50R? Is it .375-.378 and .438 rim diameter? 

I have done a lot of re-swagging brass, I started shooting the 32/35 Stevens back in '88 on a 308 barrel and have made slighting reduced capacity 32/40 cases out of 30/40's. I just make a straight female die with a radius on the end (to keep from shearing the brass in the body of it) at about .005 under the case head that I want. Then chuck the rim in a step collect with a pilot in the case mouth, turn the head to what I want and trim.

I thought about using the 204 Ruger but, I wanted a full diameter rim @ .060 thickness.

Frank

YIMAIM  
IP Logged

uscra112
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #8 - Feb 12th, 2011 at 12:04am
Print Post  
Frank,

I pulled a couple of the 5.6x50R out of the ammo can.  These are Hirtenberger, BTW.

I measure the rims at .419".   A little small, but not fatal.

Base diameter adjacent the rim is .372" - .373".  This is new brass, never seen a chamber or a sizing die once it left the factory.

Rim thickness about .0475 give or take.  I'm just using a caliper.

If you want a thicker rim, a trick I've tried is to swage the rim slightly convex (viewed looking at the headstamp).   This gives the effect of a thicker rim.   In the end I abandoned it, because my 2R Lovells can just as well headspace on the shoulder.    

My turning tooling is a spud in the 3-jaw with a pilot that just enters the primer pocket, and a mandrel that goes thru the case mouth and all the way down to the web.  A tiny pilot enters the flash hole to keep it centered.  Live center in the tailstock pushes on the mandrel to clamp the case against the spud.  I don't have a collet chuck for the little Prazi bench lathe that I do these on, but even if I did I'd still use the mandrel.  

Talked to a guy years ago who used drill bushings to swage brass. They're almost impossible to buy anymore.  CNC has made them obsolete.   Last ones I bought had to be special ordered and took 3 weeks to get, and that was 5-6 years ago.

Phil
« Last Edit: Feb 12th, 2011 at 12:11am by uscra112 »  

<div class=

IP Logged

frnkeore
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #9 - Feb 12th, 2011 at 1:37am
Print Post  
Phil,
Where did you get the 5.6x50R brass?

Frank

YIMAIM  
IP Logged

38_Cal
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #10 - Feb 12th, 2011 at 1:54am
Print Post  
Phil, did a EvilBay search for drill bushings, and came up with over 300 results.  Went to the MSC site and entered drill bushings and came up with a boatload also.

David

David Kaiser
Montezuma, IA

IP Logged

Green_Frog
Frequent Elocutionist

"It ain't easy being green"
ASSRA Life #281

Reply #11 - Feb 12th, 2011 at 10:58am
Print Post  
frnkeore wrote on Feb 12th, 2011 at 1:37am:
Phil,
Where did you get the 5.6x50R brass?

Frank

Ditto to Frank's question.  That also makes the best donor/parent for Charlie Dell's version of the .32/.357, and I can't seem to find it anywhere!  Cry

Froggie

IP Logged

uscra112
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #12 - Feb 12th, 2011 at 7:19pm
Print Post  
Bought the 5.6x50R from Huntington's, probably 6-8 years ago.  Even then I had it in mind for a .32 Ideal.  Just last week I got a set of .32 Ideal dies from 'em, too.  They had one set on the "clearance" discount list.   Now all I need is a reamer.   I have barrel blanks and actions.

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

MSC may LIST the drill bushings, but they didn't actually stock 'em when I needed 'em.   I was building a gaging fixture for work, and it held me up for a long time.  That made GM mad, and believe me, those arrogant S.O.B.'s can make your life miserable. 

Might be worth a retry, though.  Without GM breathing down my neck.

Tried sizing down a 5.6x50R case in the neck of a Lee 8mm die today, using just my RCBS reloading press.  Works, but not entirely to my satisfaction.  O.D. as sized is .336, which is unnecessarily small.   Could not get as much crush on the web as I would like, so when I machined it and sectioned it I did not see a good fillet between the web and the beginning of the case wall.  At BP pressures it won't be noticed, I think, especially since the .32 Ideal is almost a straight case, but I still would feel better if it had more.  The hydraulic press will do it, I'm sure.   Come summer I hope I'll have a shop set up again so I can put the press back together.   

Phil

<div class=

IP Logged

ledball
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #13 - Feb 12th, 2011 at 8:47pm
Print Post  
Lets measure some cases, I have two original  UMC 28/30 Stevens cases, one measures .3485 the other .349--the 6 X 70R Norma cases measure .350 [5 measured] head dia, 2.750  length.  I don't have any 32 Ideal cases but the books say its .350 dia---I.77 length. It seems to me to be the perfect brass to make either of these cartridges.
   I was told by a cartridge collector at the OGCA that this Norma brass was available but, since I have plenty for my own use I didn't ask where---Huntington's still lists this brass on their web-site.
    If someone had a few original 28/30 cases they could measure the head size and see if they conform to mine.   ledball

IP Logged

ziplocjoe

Reply #14 - Feb 18th, 2011 at 9:01pm
Print Post  
Froggie,
I get my 5.6X50R brass by buying Sellier & Bellot loaded ammo. I have had very good luck with their brass. The last I bought came from SGAmmo.com for $15.00 for a box of 20.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 
Send TopicPrint