Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) 40-70 accuracy (Read 7302 times)
Whistlepigger
Ex Member

40-70 accuracy
Feb 6th, 2011 at 11:21am
Print Post  
What kind of accuracy can I expect from a 40-70 sharps bottleneck?  Can this be a one minute round out to 200 yards? Is there a significance difference in performance and accuracy between that and the 40-70 sharps straight?   

I am considering this round for a new barrel on an old Remington rolling block which I recently got ahold of.  I welcome any advice anyone might want to share.   

Thanks.

IP Logged

rustyrelx
Senior Forum Member

Re: 40-70 accuracy
Reply #1 - Feb 6th, 2011 at 11:28am
Print Post  
I agree with you on this cartridge. I'm partial to the 40-70BN and the 40-90BN. If a hunting gun go with 40-90 if not go the other route. One thing to remember is that these were dropped in favor of newer inventions. But we are traditional people are we not? So just have fun with it whatever you decide... Don  rustyrelx

IP Logged

ssdave
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #2 - Feb 6th, 2011 at 11:53am
Print Post  

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

« Last Edit: Feb 19th, 2011 at 12:48am by ssdave »  

IP Logged

Whistlepigger
Ex Member

Reply #3 - Feb 6th, 2011 at 2:23pm
Print Post  
Yeah, Rusty, I know the old rounds are not what the new ones are.  It is fun to out-shoot the new ones though (when it happens).  I had a friend come by a couple weeks back with his 220 swift, and we shot together at 150 yards.  His swift shot a 1 1/2" group, and my 45-100 shot a 3/4" group.  He still thinks I have a really precise gun, even though on another day with different temperatures, my straight case won't do that, but his bottleneck thingy probably will.  I like old stuff.

Dave, that is really interesting.  What you end up with is a 40-70 straight that is longer.  Do I understand you right?  The reduced case capacity of the original 40-70 straight is one thing that has had me leaning towards the bottle necked version.  What is its capacity when you are done? (how many grains of PB does it hold?)

So the next question is, what twist did you go with?  The 405 Winchester is listed with a 1 in 14, while the PB 40's are 16 to 18, as far as I know, even though they shoot longer bullets.  This goes back to what we were talking about in the other thread.  Is the 405 Winchester considered a dangerous game round and that is why the greater twist--for the terminal performance?

IP Logged

.22-5-40
Oldtimer

Reply #4 - Feb 6th, 2011 at 4:20pm
Print Post  
Hello, Whistlepigger.  I have a .40-70 Str. in an Axtel long-range Sharps 77'  I also have a .40-70 BN in a Lone Star long-range Rolling Block.  Both have 34" brls.  With the straight, using H4895, I can put 10 in one ragged hole at 100yds.  The B.N. I am still working on..It has put them in close..11/4 to 11/2" at 100 but not like the straight.  I haven't tried black in either yet.  I am using  300-350gr. bullets in the Axtel because of it's regulation 10lb. it tends to hurt with heaver.  The Lone Star is built for Silhouette so it is heaver & I can stand a bit more lead.  The Axtel started shooting groups like that from day one, which isn.t normal..for me anyway..the .40-70BN gives me something to work towards.  Best of luck!

IP Logged

Whistlepigger
Ex Member

Reply #5 - Feb 6th, 2011 at 6:58pm
Print Post  
Wow, Dave, those are faster twists than I am used to hearing.  Your explanation of how the bullets lose their stability with velocity loss over distance makes good sense.  Thank you for taking the time to explain.  Have you noticed a measurable accuracy difference between those faster twists and the slower ones at closer ranges--say 200 yards? 

It seems like 85 grains is a lot for a 40 caliber, especially with that bullet length.   

My main use (meat-wise) for the gun will be for hunting whistle pigs, and usually I can't see the little buggers much past 100 yards, though I have shot some close to 200 with my 45-100.  That's just the all-round best hunting there is!  Most of my shooting is at targets though, and I like to shoot out to 400 yards.  Even that makes for a lot of hiking.  Here on the farm in Michigan, the longest distance I can reach between fence rows is about 600 yards, so 1000 is pretty much out of the question.  I will have to give some serious thought to the purpose of this rifle.  (WHY was I considering a 50-140??)

.22-5-40, that is a good comparison--and impressive on the part of the straight.  Would you be willing to share the twist of your Axtel barrel with us?   

IP Logged

westerner
Frequent Elocutionist

deleted posts and threads
record holder.

Reply #6 - Feb 6th, 2011 at 7:32pm
Print Post  
Lots of opinions on twist rates. I think 18 - 22 is closer to the traditional twist rate for old rifles. The 16 twist became popular in the late 1980s

My 40/50 SS has a 22 inch twist. I shoot 400 grain bullets out to 600 with no problem. Straight BP. My 40/65s with 18 inch twist shoot good out to 1000 yards. 

I used to shoot 540 grain bullets in an original hiwall in 45/70. It had a 20 inch twist. It had to be duplex loaded to stabilize out the the rams. 

Lots of different ideas on twists. 

Joe.

A blind squirrel runs into a tree every once in a while.

IP Logged

zrifleman
Ex Member

Reply #7 - Feb 6th, 2011 at 7:38pm
Print Post  
Dave---Are you stating as an absolute fact that 1-20 twist 45 cal, accuracy diminishes past 500 yds? Original Sharps were mostly 1-20 twist with a few match rifles being 1-18 twist in the 45 calibers. My Farmingdale 45-70 w/1-20 twist is very accurate from 600-1000 yds with 540 gr + bullets. My friends who have similiar rifles report similiar accuracy.

IP Logged

frnkeore
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #8 - Feb 6th, 2011 at 8:25pm
Print Post  
This is my take on twist......... I want a twist rate with what ever bullet and twist that I shoot to be just stable enough that it doesn't tip when it goes through the target (or object). Anything else is a waste and over stabilized, there for the centrifugal force has acted on it more than need be and the imperfections (no, we never cast imperfect bullets, I know) aren't magnified as much at the lower RPM. Temperature and altitude have a effect so, you take that into account, also but, it's not a big factor.

Frank

ASSRA Member #696, ISSA Member #339
YIMAIM  
IP Logged

westerner
Frequent Elocutionist

deleted posts and threads
record holder.

Reply #9 - Feb 6th, 2011 at 8:50pm
Print Post  
Twist rate is something I've never made up my mind on.  Too slow a twist is a killer.  I'd rather have a bit more twist than I need than not enough.  Cant go wrong going to a longer bullet if you have to. 
Bullet molds are much better now which allows a faster rotation.  Rambling now.  Lips Sealed 

Joe.  Smiley

A blind squirrel runs into a tree every once in a while.

IP Logged

Whistlepigger
Ex Member

Reply #10 - Feb 7th, 2011 at 12:29am
Print Post  
One thing I haven't heard anyone say is deliberately matching your velocity to the twist. This is a very real thing in round ball guns.  With those, the opposite is true when it comes to twists in target vs hunting guns. For instance, most of the newer barrels, from Colerain and other companies, have fast twists (1:48 for .40, 1:60 for 45, 1:66 for .50) in order to allow lighter, slower loads for less recoil in target work. With the exception of one .40 collerain barrel, my rifles all have slower twists which allow higher velocity. (My three older guns--one .40, one .38 and one .35--all have 1:56.) In my .40 Colleran (if I spell it differently every time I might get it right) I get excellent accuracy with 42 grains of powder. On the other hand, a good friend of mine has a .40 flintlock with a slow twist of 1:72, and he is running 70 grains.  I cannot begin to shoot that fast, or my accuracy goes all over the map. (Yes, I weigh my balls.) This gives him a decided advantage in wind and distance.

So does this hold true with the bullet guns--does a fast twist barrel benefit from reduced velocity? If they do, I would think there would be a point of no return when it comes to more twist and longer bullets, because air time would be increased. Of course, a ball is a ball, where as bullets are all different shapes, each requiring a different twist (and speed?). I think I understand you to say, Dave, that the faster twists which you prefer allow a bullet with a higher coefficient, and this allows you higher velocity for the same weight?

Honestly, there is not a thing I do with a center fire that cannot be better done with a flintlock--until I pass the 100 yard mark.  Since most of my hunting is well under that, hitting mostly comes down to the gun that holds the best. So, the only real reason for a cartridge gun for me at this point is power and distance. That is why I first thought of the .50 over my .45-100 and then backed off to the little .40.   

IP Logged

frnkeore
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #11 - Feb 7th, 2011 at 12:52am
Print Post  
WP,
I have two guns that I have had to match velocity to twist with one is a 32/40, 16 twist the other a 25/20, 18 twist. The biggest problem for those is that as the temperature goes up, you have to increase velocity and if your in the 1450 fps range, like a lot of people are, you stand to lead your barrel with more velocity and heat combined. In a match, that can kill your chances at being competitive. You can't compensate for it.

It takes a lot of velocity to compensate for even a 1/2 inch twist. The way I fine tuned both rifles was to shorten my molds. .050 off the mold will probably do more that 200 fps.

Frank

YIMAIM  
IP Logged

frnkeore
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #12 - Feb 7th, 2011 at 3:04am
Print Post  
I ran some calculations on the Don Miller formula for stabilization to show the effects of twist, temperature and velocity. My base line was a .321 bullet, 195 gr, 1.035 long, 1000 fps with a stabilization factor of 1.4. All these other combinations have the same 1.4 stabilization factor.

Bullet     FPS   Twist    Temp
1.035    1000    16        70
1.085    1000    15        70
1.085    1475    16        70

Temperature effect:

1.035    1125    16        50
1.035      850    16      100 

In this application, it takes 475 fps to make up for 1 inch of twist and 275 fps to make up for 50 degrees of temperature.
Most of us have shot at temperatures above 100 and below 50 so, it's something to watch out for if your close to stabilization on your twist rate..

I miss spoke (fancy way of saying I lied) about the way that temperature effects stability in my above post. Embarrassed I was thinking about how velocity goes up with temperature. Two different things.

Frank
« Last Edit: Feb 7th, 2011 at 3:11am by frnkeore »  

YIMAIM  
IP Logged

Whistlepigger
Ex Member

Reply #13 - Feb 7th, 2011 at 9:51am
Print Post  
Wow, Frnkeore, that is a lot.  I did not expect 475 fps per one inch difference.  I have never put a flintlock over a chronograph, so I do not know how much change I get from different loads, but I would bet that a round ball responds more dramatically than a bullet to a difference in load.  Maybe I can talk my dad into letting me use his chrony and see what I come up with.  My guess has been that the RPM remains quite similar between balls through different twists at different velocities.

I had not thought of shortening a mould to get there. Bullets are weird. 

I have shot 500 grain hornady round noses in my 45-100, and they do not stabilize well.  It was really bad when it was a 45-70 with a slower twist (1:22).  I am wondering, do jacketed bullets require faster twists than lead bullets?  After all, they are wrapped in a lighter skin.  If so, that might be another factor in the DG loads you mentioned, Dave.

(How many subjects can we squeeze into one thread?)

What is magical about 1450 fps?  Dave, you said that you preferred the 40-70 straight because the BN had too much capacity, and you think that contributes to a bad reputation with that round.  Could this be because the BN is passing that velocity?   

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint