Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic Bullet seating problems in the 32-40? (Read 2813 times)
zeke

Bullet seating problems in the 32-40?
Feb 6th, 2011 at 10:50am
Print Post  
Cry      Hi All:

While attempting to load some 32-40 shells I ran into the problem of getting the shells to chamber.  I flared the case mouths lightly to avoid shaving the bullets but the flare is preventing the shell to enter the chamber.

This problem led me to slightly "crimp" the shell mouths to enable me to chamber the rounds.  I have been told not to crimp these bullets.  What else can I do? Perhaps a "M" die is in my future.

I used a .308" M die to slightly flare the case mouths and adjusted my bullet seating die to swage the case neck enough to permit chambering.

Perhaps I need a M die, Lyman or C&H, with a shank that will open the case mouths slightly.  The bullets that I am attempting to use measure .320".  What diameter of a M die do I need for this bullet.

I have loaded 30 caliber bullets before with no problems with the .308 M die so I am guessing that I do in deed need a M die for the .320 bullets.  Am I correct?

Oh yes, somebody asked me where I got the load for 14 grains of 2400 from,and it came from the first reloading book that I bought circa 1956.  It is a Lyman book.  I will try 12 grains with pistol primers etc. in the future.

Any suggestions as to what I should do?

TIA,

Franchi

IP Logged

j_c_johnson

C C Johnson's grandson

Re: Bullet seating problems in the 32-40?
Reply #1 - Feb 6th, 2011 at 11:16am
Print Post  
A Lyman M die in .32 caliber will solve your problems.

IP Logged

westerner
Frequent Elocutionist

deleted posts and threads
record holder.

Reply #2 - Feb 6th, 2011 at 11:21am
Print Post  
You could try sizing the loaded cartridges in your resizing die. If your die will allow it remove the decapping thingamabobber from the die. 
I used to do this with my 40/50 SS cartridges. I finally neck reamed the chamber so dont have to do it now. 

Joe.

A blind squirrel runs into a tree every once in a while.

IP Logged

38_Cal
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #3 - Feb 6th, 2011 at 12:45pm
Print Post  
Sounds like you may be over-belling your case mouths.  The Lyman M die will help, by making the case mouth larger but parallel to the bullet.  When I set up for a new caliber or even a new bullet in my fixed ammo guns, I make up a dummy cartridge to check in the rifle before I finalize my setup.  If all goes well with chambering the round, I continue on, if not, I tweak the die setup until it does.   

David

David Kaiser
Montezuma, IA

IP Logged

frnkeore
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #4 - Feb 6th, 2011 at 1:38pm
Print Post  
Bump it into your seatting die untill it goes in the chamber. If it has a crimp in the case when it finally inters, then all you can do is neck turn the brass or size the bullet down but, don't size it below groove diameter.

The more expensive way is to do like Joe and ream the neck to the loaded Diameter.

Frank

ASSRA Member #696, ISSA Member #339
YIMAIM  
IP Logged

Green_Frog
Frequent Elocutionist

"It ain't easy being green"
ASSRA Life #281

Reply #5 - Feb 7th, 2011 at 7:51am
Print Post  
+1 to Jerry Johnson and David's suggestions together.  The neck needs to be the right size to tension and hold the bullet, then the mouth has to be flared to allow it to enter without shaving.  The Lyman M-die in .32 does a great job of this.  Then the seating die should remove the flare only, without any more crimp than minimum (preferably none) and away you go!  BTW, don't use this technique on magazine repeater rifles or you may have a bit of bullet creep, but it worked great on my high-walls.

Froggie

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint