Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2  Send TopicPrint
Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) 50-140 accuracy & twist (Read 13296 times)
Whistlepigger
Ex Member

50-140 accuracy & twist
Feb 1st, 2011 at 10:02pm
Print Post  
I am considering building a 50-140 on an original Remington rolling block action which is now fitted to a 12 gauge shot barrel.  My only center fire experience of any consequence is with my 45-100 rolling block which I have had for almost ten years.  I like the accuracy I am able to get with that round and would like to know what can be expected from a 50.  On good days my 45-100 will hold under a minute at 150 yards (and often close to half a minute) with iron sights.  Can I expect that from a 50-140? 

I am also interested in what twist rates anyone might suggest.  It seems that most barrels intended for this cartridge have a very slow twist when compared to more modern, higher velocity 50s.  This seems backwards to me, since typically, the slower the bullet the faster the twist needed to stabilize it.  (Pistols=faster twist etc.)  Of course, the twist will be decided in part by the bullet selection too, and I would hope to shoot somewhere between 600 and 1000 grainers.  

I will appreciate any advice from anyone with a 50-140 (as well as anyone else who would like to comment).  Thanks.

IP Logged

westerner
Frequent Elocutionist

deleted posts and threads
record holder.

Re: 50-140 accuracy & twist
Reply #1 - Feb 1st, 2011 at 10:46pm
Print Post  
I've never heard of anyone using one for very long. They kick very hard.  My .55 slug gun has a 24 inch twist and shoots the 700 grain bullets extremely accurate.  
Good luck.

Joe.

A blind squirrel runs into a tree every once in a while.

IP Logged

nobearsyet
Ex Member

Reply #2 - Feb 1st, 2011 at 11:13pm
Print Post  
I'm with westerner, a 50-140 or 50-110 will knock the fillings out of you in a hurry ( this coming from the man that repeatedly shoots a 50BMG prone and from the bench) for any kind of realistic use I'd stick to the 50-70, or maybe a 45-120 although that one'll beat you up good if you let it.

IP Logged

gunlaker
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #3 - Feb 2nd, 2011 at 11:17am
Print Post  
I happen to have one of those monsters (although it's likely going to be rebarreled and chambered with a .45-90 paper patch chamber.).

Mine won't hold 1 moa, closer to 2+. Although the flinching might have something to do with it Smiley.  It recoils a lot harder than my .45-110.  

I shoot a 650gr Saeco bullet and a 700gr BACO. The rifle is an older C. Sharps 1874 with a 34" heavy barrel. It has a 1:26 twist which is probably a little loose for the big bullet, but I haven't shot it long range.

The main issues with the .50-140, other than the nasty recoil, is the fact that it really eats into the lead and powder reserves. And quality brass is hard to find.

Chris.

IP Logged

Whistlepigger
Ex Member

Reply #4 - Feb 2nd, 2011 at 12:35pm
Print Post  
Thanks, guys.  I'm not fully set on this round, and (I don't mean to tease) you sound like my wife on the recoil.  She's afraid I'll throw my atlas out every time I shoot it.  Hmmm...  I don't know what I'm gonna do yet.  I am considering a 40 caliber too, but this is such a large action, I don't want to squander it on something little.   

Two minute accuracy is not what I am after, Gunlaker.  I would think for a 600+ grain bullet you'd need more like 1 in 15 twist.   Thanks for the info. 

IP Logged

westerner
Frequent Elocutionist

deleted posts and threads
record holder.

Reply #5 - Feb 2nd, 2011 at 2:48pm
Print Post  
15 sounds way to fast to me.  This twist calculator comes in handy. 

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

I dont know what the length of a .50 700 - 1000 grain bullet is.

There was a fella came on here a couple years ago wanting to do the same thing you're thinking about.  He was real sure of himself and we couldnt convince him not to do it.  Havent heard from that ruffian since.  Maybe he's been out looking for his atlas. 

Joe.  Smiley 

« Last Edit: Feb 2nd, 2011 at 2:55pm by westerner »  

A blind squirrel runs into a tree every once in a while.

IP Logged

gunlaker
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #6 - Feb 2nd, 2011 at 3:25pm
Print Post  
westerner wrote on Feb 2nd, 2011 at 2:48pm:
15 sounds way to fast to me.  This twist calculator comes in handy. 

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

I dont know what the length of a .50 700 - 1000 grain bullet is.

There was a fella came on here a couple years ago wanting to do the same thing you're thinking about.  He was real sure of himself and we couldnt convince him not to do it.  Havent heard from that ruffian since.  Maybe he's been out looking for his atlas. 

Joe.  Smiley 

I don't remember the length exactly, but I believe it's similar to some of my longer .45 bullets. In the 1.4" to 1.45" range maybe. 

From what others have done I know the 700gr bullet will work well to 1000 yards with a 1:22" twist.  I know it's stable to 200 metres with my 1:26 twist  Grin . I believe that a 625gr to 650gr bullet is about perfect in a 1:26 twist barrel at BP speeds.

The thing about recoil is that many people say "it doesn't bother me". But there is a big difference between "doesn't bother me" and "it doesn't affect my accuracy"  Wink.   I know that in this case the recoil does seem to affect my accuracy, although it's a hoot to touch this thing off.

Each shooter is different though. The guy I bought it from claimed he used 2 recoil pads  Grin.  Personally I find it the same, recoil pad or not.

When shooting 50-60 rounds at a sitting, I'm not too interested in shooting much more than 100gr of powder behind a 540gr bullet out of my .45-110. That's my comfortable limit.

But then, I'm a wuss  Grin  That's why my next rifle is going to be a .38-55  Grin

Chris.

IP Logged

J. pickup
Ex Member

Reply #7 - Feb 2nd, 2011 at 3:40pm
Print Post  
After reading Sellers book i think the sharps company recommended a 1-20 twist for the 50-70 & 50-90.By the way, the sharps company NEVER made a 50-140, as they throught it had far too much recoil.They also said that any 45-100 would outshoot any 50 caliber at any range.Ive fired a 577/450 with 100 grqins of BP, that was enough for me, in fact i sold it because it kicked too much.A 45/70 is my limit.All existing 50-140's were made by Winchester, not  sharps.

IP Logged

gunlaker
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #8 - Feb 2nd, 2011 at 4:56pm
Print Post  
Quote:
After reading Sellers book i think the sharps company recommended a 1-20 twist for the 50-70 & 50-90.By the way, the sharps company NEVER made a 50-140, as they throught it had far too much recoil.They also said that any 45-100 would outshoot any 50 caliber at any range.Ive fired a 577/450 with 100 grqins of BP, that was enough for me, in fact i sold it because it kicked too much.A 45/70 is my limit.All existing 50-140's were made by Winchester, not  sharps.

I don't remember the original .50 twists, but many of the earlier reproduction Sharps used a 1:36" twist.  I've never had one with such a slow twist but I understand they work well with bullets of comparable weight to those available in the "old days".

Chris.

Chris.

IP Logged

Whistlepigger
Ex Member

Reply #9 - Feb 2nd, 2011 at 5:22pm
Print Post  
I mean no disrespect, Mr. Pickup, but I'm not worried about whether or not the 50-140 was an original Sharps caliber.  In fact, I don't understand that argument against it at all (other than respecting the Sharps Co's opinion).  There have been wildcats from the first days of center fires.  We accept today's wildcats, so what is wrong with a 19th century one?  If anything, that makes it a little more intriguing.  Like I say, I mean no disrespect, and I really appreciate your quote from Sharps recommending a 1 in 20 twist.  My 45-100 has a 1 in 20 twist.  When you say "outshoot", what do you mean?  In power or accuracy or what?  

My thoughts on a 1 in 15 twist are based on those listed in Cartridges of the World for the 500 ASquare (1 in 10) the 50 Peackeeper (1 in 15) the 50 Alaskan (1 in 15--20) and so on.  These generate a lot more velocity (and recoil) than the 140, so it stands to reason that the 140 would need a faster twist--not a slower one.  I will look at that link you gave, Westerner.  Thank you very much for it.  

I'm "real sure" of myself with a flintlock (or at least more at  home) but this breach loading thing is not something I understand as well as you fellas.   I hope I do not seem to be bulling my way forward like that other poor guy you described.  Please be patient with my stupidity.  Like I said, I am not set on a 140, and I very well may choose another cartridge.

IP Logged

singleshotsam
Oldtimer

Reply #10 - Feb 2nd, 2011 at 5:59pm
Print Post  
My personal 50 caliber rifle is a roller that I built using and original Remington sporting action that was a 20 ga. shotgun. My first intention was to go with a 50-90 but after talking with several shooters that had rifles in that caliber I decided to go with the "little" 50-70. I used a 1-22 twist barrel and bullets from 350-550 grains. Most of my shooting with this rifle is from 50-300 yards and it is capable of shooting 6" groups a 300 yards. This is with a tang sight and globe front. Since I use this rifle for hunting and limit my shots to 150 yards I am happy with the end result. Having shot several 50-90 caliber rifles since building my own and being surprised by the additional recoil I would recommend anyone contemplating a 50 caliber rifle to try one out before making a decision. Unless you are doing the work yourself it can get fairly expensive building a custom rifle. If a person was not exactly sure as to the cartridge length he could always start with a shorter version I.E. 50-70 or 50-90 and have the chamber run out the the longer version if he was not satisfied with the power. Good luck on your quest.

SSS

IP Logged

gunlaker
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #11 - Feb 2nd, 2011 at 11:58pm
Print Post  
Quote:

My thoughts on a 1 in 15 twist are based on those listed in Cartridges of the World for the 500 ASquare (1 in 10) the 50 Peackeeper (1 in 15) the 50 Alaskan (1 in 15--20) and so on.  These generate a lot more velocity (and recoil) than the 140, so it stands to reason that the 140 would need a faster twist--not a slower one.

That does make sense to me too, but sometimes it seems that firearms manufacturers use a different set of rules.  I'm not sure why that is. 

For instance I understand that the .458 Win Mag generally has a 1:14 twist yet modern .45 cal BPCR rifles that usually shoot longer, heavier, bullets at lower speeds usually run at 1:18 twist.

I do know that there has been a fair bit of discussion on .50 cal twist rates on the Shiloh board.  You might want to check out those discussions.  IIRC they considered 1:22" fast. I know that Badger's standard twist for .50 BPCR is 1:26", and I know that a lot of the earlier Sharps replicas used 1:36" twists but they were limited to "original" weight/length bullets in the .50-70 and .50-90.

Good luck on your rifle build. 

Chris.

IP Logged

40_Rod
Frequent Elocutionist

Extremism in the persuit
of accuracy is not a
vice

Reply #12 - Feb 3rd, 2011 at 8:35am
Print Post  
I have said this before so if the rest of you have seen it just pass by.
The 50-140 sounds a lot better when you are planning than when you are shooting it. If you want a rifle that you will shoot a few times and then leave in the safe to collect dust than chamber it up.

most seen gun ad
For Sale: Shilo Sharps deluxe wood, long range sights, engraved, 50-140, 200 cases 184 still loaded, waited 4 years for this gun.

nuff said
40 Rod

IP Logged

Whistlepigger
Ex Member

Reply #13 - Feb 4th, 2011 at 11:05pm
Print Post  
You fellows are very convincing. Of all the responses to this question, no one has said, "That'll make a great gun--you're gonna love it!"  Hmmm. Since I try to listen to people who know more than I do on a subject, I think I will heed the common advice and go with a lighter round.  

I really appreciate your advice, ssdave, as well as your offers on the reamer and your rifle.  I will give it some serious thought.  My 45-100 has a 36" barrel by RA Hoyt.  I soldered an underib and ram pipes onto it and restocked it to look and feel like a muzzle loader.  I have heard the term "gemmerized" for when that is done, but I don't know if that is a real term or not.  Something about when the old Hawken shop was bought out and after the muzzle loader days were over, the shop began turning cartridge guns into rifles that would hold more like men were used to.  I intend to do that with this action too, no matter what round it ends up eating.  I don't mean to ramble; this does have a point. For a rifle like this to hold like I like, I require a lot of drop. This would compound the whollup that you're all warning me about.

The best fitting gun I have was made by a relative in the 1860s. It is a 38 caliber percussion with a 4 1/2" drop and a 12 1/4" pull. That is what I try to imitate in all my rifles. For this configuration, I think it might be better to go with a lighter cartridge, even though I have not noticed any adverse effects with it on the 45-100.  (Then again, I do come away with bumps and bruises.)

I am now thinking of a 40-70 and will probably begin a thread opening discussion on that round.  Thank you all very much for the help you have been in this decision.

ssdave, that is very interesting about the greater twists for the dangerous game cartridges.  It also explains why similar twists are used for boat tailed spitzers and round nosed slugs of the same caliber. I had not considered terminal performance.  Thank you.

IP Logged

rustyrelx
Senior Forum Member

Reply #14 - Feb 5th, 2011 at 10:43am
Print Post  
Whistlepig: Physically you can't get a 50-140 into a rolling block action. UNLESS you grind a lot of the hammer off so that the cartridge can make the bend into the chamber. Look at the books and you will see that there was never a cartridge that long made for this action. Bottleneck cartridges were used on the longer cases to get the capacity higher. The 3 1/4 " case is way too long to fit into the chamber even without a projectile installed. Even a commercial action which is a bit more accomodating will not accept this length without seriously altering the hammer. Alot of grinding on the top of the hammer. The 50-2 1/2 is a substantial cartridge in a rolling block.
Don

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 
Send TopicPrint