Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic 4759 powder (Read 4484 times)
Hank45
Oldtimer

Beer is living proof that
GOD loves you

4759 powder
Jan 17th, 2011 at 8:18pm
Print Post  
Is the 4759 powder manufactured today the same as the 4759 powder manufactured years age? Thanks for your answer, Hank45

IP Logged

boats
Frequent Elocutionist

Re: 4759 powder
Reply #1 - Jan 17th, 2011 at 8:23pm
Print Post  
I am loading some 45/70 now from old Dupont marked cans.  Have used it for some time and the new Hodgon plastic bottles too. Not any noticeable difference powder to powder.

I like to load up few hundred rounds at a time to keep consistent sight settings, Using the old powder make sure I use it in the entire lot, but don't feel handicapped when making a run with the new stuff either.

Matter of interest old loading manuals SR # 80 data can be used for 4759 loads. it's not the same powder but intended to do the same job & burn rates.   

Always start low and inch up to make sure though.

Boats

IP Logged

waterman
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #2 - Jan 17th, 2011 at 8:55pm
Print Post  
I have a couple of boxes of WW2 frangible ball 30-06 ammo (FA 45) that is supposed to be loaded with SR-4759.  But when I shoot it, there is sawdust (yep, sawdust) in the barrel.  The powder is just nitrated sawdust, although none of the references I have make reference to that.  There may be something in that nitrated sawdust stuff for us.

IP Logged

Slowshooter
Ex Member

Reply #3 - Jan 20th, 2011 at 6:23pm
Print Post  
Not sure how many "years ago" you were thinking, but the burning rate on SR4759 has changed.  Claude Roderick used a lot of this powder, and in answering a letter in 1980 he advised me that charges loaded with the "new" lots should be increased by 8%.  The cartridge being loaded was his 30-222R, and increaseing his recommended charge of 12.3  to 13.3 gr, tightened groups up.

The last keg of 4759 I purchased was about 1990, and it was identical to the 1980 stuff I'd been using.  (Maybe the same mfg?) I've not used any of the newer runs of this powder, so am not sure if it is slower yet, or ???  IMR did have problems in the early 1990's while attempting to run another supply.  In a converation with their sales rep, he said the problems were related to the burn rate.  It may well be that the newer lots are slower yet, and this could be why there have been questions lately as to which is faster - IMR4227 or SR4759.  Up to 1990,at any rate, 4227 was definately slower.  But now????

Jerry

IP Logged

40_Rod
Frequent Elocutionist

Extremism in the persuit
of accuracy is not a
vice

Reply #4 - Jan 21st, 2011 at 10:58am
Print Post  
The truth is that every lot of powder is slightly different also how the powder is stored, both in the warehouse and in your home, Will have an effect on the powder. I buy the powders that I use regularly in 8 lb. When I get a new jug I test it and make my adjustments. It's usually a click or two but adjustment is necessary for best results.

40 Rod

IP Logged

uscra112
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #5 - Jan 21st, 2011 at 8:23pm
Print Post  
Amen to the storage conditions, especially moisture.  Very dry storage will quicken a powder, moisture will slow it down.   One wants to hope that ambient conditions won't affect a new sealed canister, but .......

<div class=

IP Logged

BP
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #6 - Jan 22nd, 2011 at 2:15am
Print Post  
A lot of plastics allow moisture to pass through, and some plastics will absorb moisture and swell.

I prefer to use a brush-on paste when loading the buffing wheels for a number of reasons. There are a couple of grits that I order but rarely use. On occasion, when I break into a new unopened container, I find that the paste has dried out to form a cylindrical brick, which I break up and add water to rehydrate back into a paste. The plastic containers the paste comes in had allowed the moisture to escape. 

On some of the Lyman rear target scope mounts, Lyman used a plastic "button", for lack of a better word, that makes contact with the scope body. I've had them bind when making adjustments due to swelling from moisture absorption, and have replaced them with delrin. 

With most powder now sold in plastic jugs, I have to wonder about the implications for long term storage. 
« Last Edit: Jan 22nd, 2011 at 2:21am by BP »  

There are three kinds of men: The ones that learn by reading, the few who learn by observation, and the rest who have to pee on the electric fence and find out for themselves.
Proud Noodlehead

IP Logged

ikeda
Ex Member

Reply #7 - Feb 5th, 2011 at 12:59pm
Print Post  
Does anyone out there have any loading data for 4759 in the 50-110, for 450 to 525gr. bullets?

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint