Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic Elliptical vs spitzer bullet nose (Read 5266 times)
RSW
Frequent Elocutionist

Elliptical vs spitzer bullet nose
Jan 18th, 2011 at 10:02pm
Print Post  
Question to those who consider themselves ballistic experts or accomplished experimenters. For 32-40 bullets fired at approximately 1,400 FPS, which is the less wind-sensitive bullet nose shape, elliptical, like the mini-groove BPCR designs from P Jones and S Brooks, or a spitzer? 
Barrel is a 14 twist Badger, action is Ballard (Cody), propellant is smokeless, alloy I’m now using is 1:25 but will use whatever proves to be most accurate for a new bullet. I shoot a spitzer in this rifle now and it is accurate. Since this is for the schuetzen game, distance is 200 yards.
I’m aware the difference between the two nose shapes is likely to be slight but I’m trying to push this rifle to a higher level of accuracy.
Thanks

Randy W
ASSRA 10211  -  ISSA 125
There are indeed two Americas. Simply put, it is not the haves and have nots. The two Americans are in reality divided into those who do and those who don't.
IP Logged

John Boy
Ex Member

Re: Elliptical vs spitzer bullet nose
Reply #1 - Jan 18th, 2011 at 10:35pm
Print Post  
Crash, the last time I was at the Shuttleworth's there were a bunch of spitzers next to the pot.  Paul shoots his 32-20 Ballard Pope and what caliber Gail shoots, I don't know but presume spitzers also

The top BPCR guns like Doc Lay are using Dan's 'Money Bullet' to place high in the rankings at the NRA National Target Match, 800 to 1000yds 

In a 45-70 and 45-90, I have shot Dan Theodore's Mini Groove from PJ's mold, plus the Paul Matthew's 457677 and the Lee 500gr spitzer at Steel and 1000yds.  All the bullets produced

The best approach as they say ... try both and see what your rifle likes best.  Will say, the spitzers and the Mini Groove shoot flatter than the Postell and Creedmoor and at the muzzle are 1250+ fps

IP Logged

frnkeore
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #2 - Jan 18th, 2011 at 11:29pm
Print Post  
As for ballistic coefficient. If the bullet stays over the speed of sound, it needs as sharp a point as possible to have the lowest BC. 

For subsonic and transonic the elliptical has the lowest BC. The elliptical shape is really a radius leading into a tangent ogive and air can still flow and follow the shape at subsonic speeds up until it starts pushing the shock wave at supersonic. At supersonic you have to have a sharp profile to penetrate the shock wave. It doesn't even have to become tangent to the base to have a high BC (thats what the Hornaday spire point is). It main perpose is to penetrate the shock wave.

But, a bullet can almost any profile and still be accurate.

Hope that helps,

Frank

ASSRA Member #696, ISSA Member #339
YIMAIM  
IP Logged

RSW
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #3 - Jan 18th, 2011 at 11:45pm
Print Post  
John Boy, Frank
Thank you for the input, you both offer food for thought. The spitzer I’m now shooting stays supersonic out to 200 yards which lends credence to the spitzer being less affected by wind than an elliptical. Perhaps I need to go beyond getting a different bullet mould to squeeze a little more accuracy out of this rifle.

Randy W
ASSRA 10211  -  ISSA 125
There are indeed two Americas. Simply put, it is not the haves and have nots. The two Americans are in reality divided into those who do and those who don't.
IP Logged

38_Cal
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #4 - Jan 18th, 2011 at 11:54pm
Print Post  
You might try reading that book by that Wright fellow!  He offers some good suggestions... Grin   Smiley

David

David Kaiser
Montezuma, IA

IP Logged

boats
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #5 - Jan 19th, 2011 at 5:28am
Print Post  
Years ago I went to a spritzer from LBT for my 38/55 Was shooting BPCS and wanted max velocity on the Rams to improve knock down. I gave BPCS up re stocked the CPA with a hook plate and went to short fat flat noses for 200 yard club matches fixed and a Hoch tapered for breech seating Schuetzen

Lately back to the Spritzer for the 200 yard club matches.  It's a bit more accurate than the flat nose for fixed ammo.  Don't think the sharp point has anything to do with it just a good mold and fit for the rifle. This season I am going to try it for a Hudson match fixed ammo, see if Fixed will improve my scores.

If I was going to bet on a mold working well would not put my money on a sharp point, but if they work they work, is the balistic performance better ? who knows. I just don't pull the trigger when the wind is blowing so drift is not real important.

Boats

IP Logged

RSW
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #6 - Jan 19th, 2011 at 9:57am
Print Post  
David
Gee thanks. Why didn't I think of that. I'll just bet I have a copy of that book on my shelf  Wink

Randy W
ASSRA 10211  -  ISSA 125
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint