Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic Breech seating pressure (Read 2875 times)
Oldguyshootr
Ex Member

Breech seating pressure
Jan 1st, 2011 at 11:37am
Print Post  
I am breech seating a .322 and .323 dia 1-30 bullet in my CPA .32-40.  Gun is used  but new for me. It requires a great deal of pressure to insert. Is there a "rule of thumb" on seating resistance?  )Many yearw ago I used a Ballard and seated 38-55 .379 bullets quite easily with plugged case.   Appreciate any info
ADD INFO
CPA barrels are cut for breech seating per CPA info..bullets are 1-30 alloy and tapered 1).323-.319 and 2).322-.319. CPA says 44 1/2 action as made by them  will seat bullet with plugged case. Mold is Paul Jones custom and is of the best quallity I have seen. Other mold is Lyman.  Just wonder why it takes so much force to seat. thanks for input
« Last Edit: Jan 2nd, 2011 at 9:58am by »  

IP Logged

38_Cal
Frequent Elocutionist

Re: Breech seating pressure
Reply #1 - Jan 1st, 2011 at 11:47am
Print Post  
What alloy are your bullets?  Are they tapered, cylindrical, or two diameter in the bearing areas?  How is your barrel throated?  

And welcome to the insanity!

David

David Kaiser
Montezuma, IA

IP Logged

mes
Senior Forum Member

Reply #2 - Jan 2nd, 2011 at 9:32am
Print Post  
Maybe your Ballard was throated for the bullet you were seating in it.  If a barrel is throated for a specific bullet it is easy to seat with about any tool.   

Its when you try to seat a cylindrical bullet into a tapered or straight throat and the bullet is a little hard that things get difficult.   

Then its time for a seater from Russ Weber or Mr. Willis

Martin Stenback

IP Logged

LynnF
Ex Member

Reply #3 - Jan 9th, 2011 at 7:59pm
Print Post  
I felt that breech-seating my 32-20 CPA was a little more difficult than it should be with a plugged case, didn't feel comfortable putting too much pressure on the block, so I had Russ Weber make a seater for me. It works great, a bit pricey, but a fine tool. 
Lynn

IP Logged

boats
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #4 - Jan 10th, 2011 at 7:33am
Print Post  
My 32/40 CPA seats easy.  38/55 does too but when used with Black powder just a little bit of fowling makes it seat real hard.  Thing to remember is tolerances are tight anything will make it harder, temper fowling in the leade etc

Boats

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint