Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) 577/450 dope (Read 6491 times)
nobearsyet
Ex Member

577/450 dope
Dec 31st, 2010 at 8:29pm
Print Post  
I am thinking about keeping my Gahendra Martini as a 577/450 and was wondering about some good load dat for it, other than 60grn. bullet over 80grns. black, that won't blow one of these up.  I'm going to rebarrel with a new barre lfrom Pac-Nor and drop it into some sporter type wood, orconvert it into a 30-30 or 32-40, but the original Martini chambering is interesting.

IP Logged

slumlord44
Frequent Elocutionist

Re: 577/450 dope
Reply #1 - Dec 31st, 2010 at 11:07pm
Print Post  
Nothing wrong with black powder in these. A lot of fun but they sure do kick like a mule!

IP Logged

Paul_F.
Ex Member

Reply #2 - Dec 31st, 2010 at 11:57pm
Print Post  
Kicks like an angry, angry mule...

But a lot of fun to reload once you get past that initial cost for dies and brass.

A fantastic resource for the .577-450 is the British Militaria Forums at 
(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

The folks that hang out there know a lot about getting the Martini's to shoot.  Some of the same folks hang out here too, of course, but if you want a group that is focused more tightly on the .577-450, that's the one.

I've only gotten to the "it goes bang" stage, so I don't have a lot to share...  my first tests were with Hodgson 777 powder (NOT a full case), and I think once I have good bullets to use, it's going to be quite a bit of fun if I can get some valium into that mule.  Smiley

Paul F.

IP Logged

Joel Black

Reply #3 - Jan 1st, 2011 at 11:58am
Print Post  
I use 777 filled to the start of the neck with lubricated wads between it and the base of the bullet. I've used that load in a Soper, a Martini Henry and a Field drop block with good results. The bore only requires normal cleaning with Hoppes, but the cases have to be washed in hot soapy water.

IP Logged

40_Rod
Frequent Elocutionist

Extremism in the persuit
of accuracy is not a
vice

Reply #4 - Jan 2nd, 2011 at 2:04pm
Print Post  
I can tell you what doesn't work, Green dot with a toilet paper wad. A guy showed up at the range with this load. It didn't go bang, It kind of farted and spit out the most impressive fireballs I have ever seen. Accuracy was some what erratic.

40 Rod

IP Logged

Dave
Ex Member

Reply #5 - Jan 2nd, 2011 at 8:01pm
Print Post  
No Bears, check the Martini forums.  A couple of months ago someone posted a nice modification of the issued wood with a schnable forend.  It looked really nice and would be worth a look.

I have been shooting black in my MK II and having lots of fun.  I have been shooting a 535 gr bullet that I use for 45/70 and it is a bit small for the bore.  I still have to get a proper mould.  It takes time to chase down the proper dies, etc for these things as they are all special order.

Dave

IP Logged

Paul_F.
Ex Member

Reply #6 - Jan 2nd, 2011 at 9:16pm
Print Post  
I don't know if they are still in production, but the Lee dies for the .577 Snider and the .577-450 Martini are the best deal going for both calibers...
Under $100, when any other make wants 4-8 months and your first born male issue (and $300+) for a set of dies.

If Lee is still making them, buy a set.  They're typical Lee (not exactly perfect, but adequate), but you won't find another set of dies that are affordable.

Hope this helps.
Paul F.

IP Logged

MartiniBelgian
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #7 - Jan 4th, 2011 at 2:37pm
Print Post  
They don't kick like a mule, recoil is pretty tolerable actually.  And when loaded correctly, they can be quite accurate indeed!  If anything, they will teach you the basics of rifle shooting, because if you do anything wrong, you'll know - especially when you put the buttstock where it doesn't belong...   Wink

IP Logged

Paul_F.
Ex Member

Reply #8 - Jan 4th, 2011 at 3:44pm
Print Post  
The first one I ever fired kicked like an angry mule... but there are two points to be considered;
1) I don't know that the gentleman who loaded it was adhering to sane pressures, and
2) There's no guarantee that I had it on the right spot in my shoulder  Wink

Now that I own one, the mighty whallop I remember isn't there... (I've at least learned where to put it on my shoulder!).

I'm looking forward to when I have time to properly develop an accurate load... and to being able to afford more brass Smiley

Paul F.

IP Logged

nobearsyet
Ex Member

Reply #9 - Jan 4th, 2011 at 5:58pm
Print Post  
I know the feeling on not being able to afford brass.  I haven't bought any for the 577 yet, but  Ishoot a 408 Chey Tac in 1000 meter competition and that is over $2 per piece, yes you buy them individually.  Also got me used to a bunch of recoil, that thing will wallop you good if you ain't careful.  Now, does anyone know where I ca nget a replacement buttstock and forend?  Mine came in and the wood is trash, still scrubbing on the bore.

IP Logged

Paul_F.
Ex Member

Reply #10 - Jan 4th, 2011 at 7:16pm
Print Post  
Don't know on the stock..
But for .577-450, you can form it from Magtech 24ga shotgun brass for LOW PRESSURE loads...  For "regular" loads, you want the $3.50 each stuff.

Take lots of "beginning" "middle" and "finished" pics of the "project" Martini!

I've been tempted myself.. but I already HAVE one! 
I was REALLY tempted to buy one of the Sniders and build a sporter on it... but I keep running out of money or coming to my senses...

Paul F.

IP Logged

Dave
Ex Member

Reply #11 - Jan 4th, 2011 at 11:41pm
Print Post  
I purchased brass from Buffalo Arms.  Make sure you have a full jar of Vasiline when you place your order!!!  Get a copy of the Martini Notebook.  It is fun and informative even though many disagree with what is said on various points.

I also think about playing with one of the Sniders just for the cool factor.  Unfortunately I don't have time to shoot the guns I have or finish all the projects started.

Dave

IP Logged

DoubleD
Oldtimer

Reply #12 - Jan 5th, 2011 at 11:28pm
Print Post  
The  Martini  Handbook is a great book.  Page 36 is an awesome piece of research.

Be sure to slug the Gahendra bore.  Don't use  the  Martini .468- .470 diameter bullets they are way large.  Most  Gahendra's are under .464, mostly under.

Douglas, Ret.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint