Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2]  Send TopicPrint
Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) 8.15x46 chambers (Read 11958 times)
QuestionableMaynard8130
Frequent Elocutionist

Re: 8.15x46 chambers
Reply #15 - Dec 28th, 2010 at 2:13pm
Print Post  
Re: Zika,  I asked Frank about those moulds last summer.  he made a run of them a few years back.  I don't know if he does one-offs.  He advertises in the Journal.  I know his production shop is pretty swamped; he does a lot of non firearms production stuff, fitting the Brownells product in the gaps. And we are all waiting for his Ruger SS trigger too!
I'd have liked a Zika mould as well, but got the one Buffalo sells.  Since my 8.15 is a light stalking rifle it works fine for it. A match rifle might be a different story.
My offhand match rifle for next year will be in 7.5 Swiss and I'd like a SR bullet for it.  I contacted Dave Mos a while back about one, but no response so far.
Finding one of the Zika moulds might best be done on the used market, here and flea-bay

sacred cows make the best burger

IP Logged

westerner
Frequent Elocutionist

deleted posts and threads
record holder.

Reply #16 - Jan 3rd, 2011 at 9:36am
Print Post  
My Stahl rifle has a .316 groove diameter barrel. Noticed that the fired cases were just a smidge larger at the neck than the fired cases from the .321 GD Aydt rifle. 
The .321 SR bullets fall right in the necks. Loaded up twenty leftover SR bullets for the Stahl and took it to the range with the Aydt. The Aydt printed five shot groups about 2- 2/12 inches. The Stahl printed 3-3 1/2 inch groups at 220 yards. No lead in in either rifle. 

This was the first time the Stahl did not lead. I tried to get a RWS .316 SR bullet to work in the Stahl before. Always leaded and shot 18 inch groups. 

Conclusion? Stahl rifle has a chamber meant to shoot the .321?  Were they all made that way?  Dont know.  Undecided

Joe.  Smiley

A blind squirrel runs into a tree every once in a while.

IP Logged

westerner
Frequent Elocutionist

record holder.

Reply #17 - Jan 8th, 2011 at 10:06am
Print Post  
The necks of the fired cases from the .321 barrel measure .345. The cases fired in the .316 barrel measure .350. 

Queersome, mighty queersome!   Huh

Joe.  Smiley

IP Logged

frnkeore
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #18 - Jan 8th, 2011 at 1:38pm
Print Post  
Joe,
Did you ever do a chamber cast of your guns? What is the diameter of the ring on your stop ring bullet? Try making a case thats 1.93 long and measure the inside diameter. You may be able to shot the stop ring from inside the case with a longer case and get it aligned better with the bore. With that .350 OD on the case you might be able to shoot a Hudson bullet (.323) fixed and jammed into the rifling. Have you ever BSed your .316 groove gun?

Frank

ASSRA Member #696, ISSA Member #339
YIMAIM  
IP Logged

westerner
Frequent Elocutionist

record holder.

Reply #19 - Jan 8th, 2011 at 6:41pm
Print Post  
Hi Frank.  My .316 rifle is shooting the .321 Zika stop ring nicely with no leading. My new Aydt shoots it super too. 

I plan to do the chamber casts this coming week. 

Yes, I used to shoot a .321 Pope style 200 grainer breech seated. It was a bugger to breech seat.   

I'll measure the ring on that bullet later. Just got home from Seatac.

Joe.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 
Send TopicPrint