Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic Still can not get Lyman tang sight to move! (Read 4349 times)
zeke

Still can not get Lyman tang sight to move!
Dec 16th, 2010 at 4:35pm
Print Post  
     Hi Gang:

I posted awhile ago that I could not get my Lyman(?) 103 sight to move for elevation changes.  Someone suggested that I turn the peep sight to unlock the adjusting screw.  I have tried to do this but to no avail.  It moves slightly b Lips Sealedack and forth but not enough to unlock anything.

I have been soaking the sight in a mixture of acetone and ATF for over three weeks but still no movement.

How is this sight supposed to move foe elevations adjustments?  I am afraid of applying too much torque to teh peep sight and breaking something!

Any suggestions?

TIA,

Franchi

IP Logged

BP
Frequent Elocutionist

Re: Still can not get Lyman tang sight to move!
Reply #1 - Dec 16th, 2010 at 10:41pm
Print Post  
Franchi,

The elevation adjustment on a Lyman 103 is simple enough. All you do is rotate the round knurled barrel that surrounds the elevation stem. The direction you rotate the barrel determines whether the elevation change is up or down. 

Are you sure your sight is actually a 103?

There are three kinds of men: The ones that learn by reading, the few who learn by observation, and the rest who have to pee on the electric fence and find out for themselves.
Proud Noodlehead

IP Logged

slumlord44
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #2 - Dec 16th, 2010 at 10:54pm
Print Post  
A photo might help the diagonisis.

IP Logged

Kurt_701
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #3 - Dec 17th, 2010 at 7:50am
Print Post  
This is a Lyman 103.  It adjusts by turning the knurled drum above the numbered scale. 
Kurt

M-14 3rd Battalion 27th Marines RVN 68'69'

IP Logged

zeke

Reply #4 - Dec 17th, 2010 at 4:54pm
Print Post  
     Hi Gang:

The knurled part of the sight moved after I typed my last reply.  For some reason, I was attempting to turn the sight disk that is mounted on a threaded stem.

My sight does not resemble the Lyman #3 pictured above.  It may be a Winchester or a knock off of a Lyman#3.  It does not have the graduations around the base and the bas looks different.  Any suggestion as to what it might be as there are no mfg. marks on it.

Thanks for the help,

Zeke Smiley

IP Logged

BP
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #5 - Dec 17th, 2010 at 5:12pm
Print Post  
Zeke, 

The sight Kurt posted a picture of is a Lyman #103. 

I haven't ever run across a Lyman #3 tang sight and am always ready to learn something new. Could you provide some more info on your tang sight?

Regards,
BP

There are three kinds of men: The ones that learn by reading, the few who learn by observation, and the rest who have to pee on the electric fence and find out for themselves.
Proud Noodlehead

IP Logged

boats
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #6 - Dec 18th, 2010 at 8:23am
Print Post  
Whatever it's parentage it's probably a nice sight and if taken apart real complicated.  Not to mention expensive to replace if you break it. If you don't see any outside evidence of damage it's likely to be dirt and dried out lube that's making it stick.  Most of the old tangs corrosion was not an issue. If you see corrosion more aggressive methods are probably going to be needed.

If it was mine I would take it off the rifle and give it a long soak in something penetrating. Not just an outside spray. Diesel fuel is what I always use. Remove from the Diesel dry it outside and apply heat.  Heat gun gets hot but not hot enough to damage. Apply only finger twist to the barrel. Pliers will ruin it in short order

Patience is the key

Boats

IP Logged

zeke

Reply #7 - Dec 18th, 2010 at 10:50am
Print Post  
    Hello Boats:

I did soak this sight in a mixture of ATF, mineral spirits and acetone for three weeks.  All of a sudden, it turned wit great ease.  Sometimes, this is called PFM!

Franchi Smiley

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint