Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2  Send TopicPrint
Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) 25/20SS case (Read 8955 times)
ledball
Frequent Elocutionist

25/20SS case
Dec 14th, 2010 at 7:29pm
Print Post  
I'm doing a bit of research on the 25/20SS  Stevens-Maynard case, I understand from Harvey Donaldson's book that it was made from the 32 CF Wesson case. I can't seem to find a picture of this Wesson case, does anyone know what old cartridge book might have a picture.  thanks for any info-----ledball

IP Logged

uscra112
Frequent Elocutionist

Re: 25/20SS case
Reply #1 - Dec 18th, 2010 at 1:01am
Print Post  
I'll watch this one with bated breath.  I've been wanting to know the answer to that question for nigh on 15 years!   I ran across a short article in one of my old Am Rifleman the other day about a Wesson revolver (of all things) that used a .32 CF cartridge with a case 1.5" long. Still too short.  No picture, either.   Maybe the article had the length wrong - in which case that might be the one.  The revolver was said to be something short of a roaring success. . . .

Phil

<div class=

IP Logged

BP
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #2 - Dec 18th, 2010 at 2:21am
Print Post  
ledball,

I don't think I'm going to do much here except add to the confusion. 

Going through my old Win catalogs, the first listing for the 25-20 SS (ammunition section) shows up in an 1890 catalog. In the same catalog, and in previous ones starting in 1884, Winchester shows a 32 S&W Rifle cartrige listed as "Adapted to Smith & Wesson Revolving Rifle" , but nothing respective to a 32 Wesson cartridge for Wesson rifles. 

Of course the catalogs showed line drawings back then, but it appears that the S&W Rifle case length is slightly shorter than the 32 WCF case, if the illustrations and scale can be trusted. 

I think your 32 Wesson data is going to have to come from a different source. Best of luck in your search.

BP
« Last Edit: Dec 18th, 2010 at 3:10am by BP »  

There are three kinds of men: The ones that learn by reading, the few who learn by observation, and the rest who have to pee on the electric fence and find out for themselves.
Proud Noodlehead

IP Logged

Green_Frog
Frequent Elocutionist

"It ain't easy being green"
ASSRA Life #281

Reply #3 - Dec 18th, 2010 at 8:15am
Print Post  
Often wrong but seldom in doubt, I thought the .25-20 SS came from the .32 Ideal(?)  Huh

BTW, while going through an old junk box recently, I found not one but two of the old Ideal hammer type sizing dies for the .25-20 SS, then last night I found a brand new in the box Lyman 257283 mould I had stashed away.   I guess I'm running out of excuses not to have one of my little quarter bores up and running!  Roll Eyes

Froggie

PS  I have my own supply of original Rem & W-W brass for this caliber, but I am curious as to how everyone's Jamerson brass is working out for them?

IP Logged

ledball
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #4 - Dec 18th, 2010 at 8:25am
Print Post  
The 32 Ideal did not come along until about 1900, its also of a different head size. H Donaldson did mention that this 32 Wesson  was an outside lubricated case, making matters worse it seems that most of his cases were not headstamped.   ledball

IP Logged

Quarter_Bore
Oldtimer

Reply #5 - Dec 18th, 2010 at 8:30am
Print Post  
If you compare base sizes you will see that the .25-20SS could have only been made from a .32 rimfire/centerfire size cartridge. The .32 Ideal or .32 Wesson rifle cartridge are too big at the base. Maybe some relative of the .32 Ballard extra long was used . The problem is that the .32 extra long is not quite long enough. It's possible that the originator (Rabbeth) of the .25-20 cartridge got untrimmed extra long shells from the factory or it is possible that the whole story was either not told or it got mixed up in printing. There was a lot of misinformation printed over the years including back at the turn of the century.  I don't recall ever seeing it said that the .25-20SS that ended up as a factory cartridge was exactly the same as the cartridge that Rabbeth used in developing it. In fact I think I recall reading that the original wildcat .25-20 was a folded head case and the factory version was a solid head. Some of these mysteries are impossible to unravel.

IP Logged

40_Rod
Frequent Elocutionist

Extremism in the persuit
of accuracy is not a
vice

Reply #6 - Dec 18th, 2010 at 8:54am
Print Post  
I went to Phil Sharps Complete Guide to Reloading He describes the 32 Smith & Wesson as: A short stubby cartridge rarely reloaded. It is purely a pocket revolver cartridge.
32 Smith & Wesson Long and 32 Colt New Police: The two cartridges are almost identical in every way. Only the bullet seated in the cartridge differs. He gives the date of 1895 for the introduction of the 32 Smith & Wesson long making it unlikely as the basis for the 25.20 SS.

40 Rod

IP Logged

uscra112
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #7 - Dec 18th, 2010 at 10:25am
Print Post  
Found the article this morning.  It is in Am Riflemen June 1982.  It's a narrative about all three of the Wesson brothers.  I saved it because I have most of an Edwin Wesson muzzleloader that was found in a barn in Montana some ten years ago.  Edwin bought Alvan Clarks' patent for the false muzzle, and made a lot of match rifles until he died rather young, in 1849.  His heirs, it is written, formed the Massachusetts Arms Company, which of course made many guns we all know from that period.  

The second brother Franklin was also a gunsmith and is responsible for the well-known Wesson breech-loading rifles, in partnership with his brother-in-law Nathan Harrington, and later with a Mr. Cutter.  His company also made some pistols that he designed.  

Baby brother Daniel was of course the one who allied with Horace Smith to create the modern cartridge revolver we still know today, and along the way they tried a rifle based on the general design of the revolvers.

To quote from the article:  

"...in 1874 was a decision to discontinue the small tip-up revolvers and produce a .38 S&W cal. revolver and other advanced models.  In this year, too, they designed a revolver-rifle - a top-break revolver with a 16 inch or 20 inch barrel which could be used with an attachable shoulder stock.  It took until 1880 to complete the manufacture of these long-barrel guns, and the model did not prove a howling success.  About 1000 were made.  They took a special .32 centerfire cartridge with a 1 1/2 inch long case".

I want to think that this case was actually about 1.6" long, and that this is the case that Rabbeth used.   Maybe because, what with the poor sales of the S&W rifle, there were a lot of unused cases going begging?   That the rifle was a commercial failure would explain the dearth of information about the cartridge.

Author of the article was James E. Serven.  

<div class=

IP Logged

ledball
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #8 - Dec 18th, 2010 at 11:09am
Print Post  
A lot of good info here, I intend to do some more research on the 32 Wesson this winter, have quite a few more old books to look through for answers, F Wesson did not make it easy on us gun-nuts looking for answers to questions such as the 32 Wesson, with all his odd-ball and RARE cartridges.   ledball

IP Logged

MIKE-T
Oldtimer

[SHOOTCAST>

Reply #9 - Dec 18th, 2010 at 12:23pm
Print Post  
Found this info on my old hard drive as I once looked into finding a base case to make 25-20SS cases from. As you see I found no 30 Wesson but a 32-35 Wesson (with an outside lubed bullet) that has almost identical dimensions to the 25-20SS. Very interesting topic.
Good luck on your research & keep us filled in. 
MIKE-T

IP Logged

uscra112
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #10 - Dec 18th, 2010 at 1:55pm
Print Post  
Boy, that sure looks to be the answer !   

So, now that we can buy new .25-20 SS brass, we can go backwards and make .32-25 from it.   Then we'll need a mold for the heeled bullets, and the reamer, and dies, etc., etc.   Powder capacity would be close to these .32-20-sized things that the modern Schuetzen guys are using, too.   

Oh, the joy - another project !

« Last Edit: Dec 18th, 2010 at 2:01pm by uscra112 »  

<div class=

IP Logged

MIKE-T
Oldtimer

[SHOOTCAST>

Reply #11 - Dec 18th, 2010 at 3:09pm
Print Post  
uscra112 Let me help you spend your $$$ on the new project,

"Boy, that sure looks to be the answer !   

So, now that we can buy new .25-20 SS brass, we can go backwards and make .32-25 from it.   Then we'll need a mold for the heeled bullets, and the reamer, and dies, etc., etc.   Powder capacity would be close to these .32-20-sized things that the modern Schuetzen guys are using, too.  

Oh, the joy - another project !"

Check out the Jamison web site they have BASIC 25-20SS, this brass is straight sided 32-25 Wesson ready to go. (You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

Some more data on Wesson cartridges, believe this is where I located the 32-25 data, found this 4-5yrs ago when the 25-20SS "B" brass lasted about one firing.

« Last Edit: Dec 18th, 2010 at 3:40pm by MIKE-T »  

IP Logged

ledball
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #12 - Dec 18th, 2010 at 4:04pm
Print Post  
MIKE-T
           I believe you have found it--Harvey Donaldson said that  J. F. Rabbeth  first made a 28 Caliber cartridge from this case but decided that it ruined too much game so took it down to 25 caliber.  Most of our books tell us that Harry Pope made the first 25 caliber rifle but Donaldson says that it was Rabbeth with his 25/20SS cartridge that was first.    thanks MIKE-T              ledball

IP Logged

uscra112
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #13 - Dec 18th, 2010 at 4:07pm
Print Post  
Mike-T :  You remembered that, and I didn't !    Grin

I've bought 100 of the Jamison brass already, and mighty good stuff it is, too.   Has made me completely forget my arduous process for making it from .223! 

<div class=

IP Logged

MIKE-T
Oldtimer

[SHOOTCAST>

Reply #14 - Dec 18th, 2010 at 4:46pm
Print Post  
ledball & uscra112, I'm just happy I could provide a few answer's, most of the time I'm asking them.
Take care, Mike

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 
Send TopicPrint