Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) Update on purchase of 1885 Winchester H.W. (Read 6294 times)
zeke

Update on purchase of 1885 Winchester H.W.
Apr 14th, 2010 at 9:43pm
Print Post  
    Hi Gang:

As some of you know from my post below about the purchase of a Win. 1885 rifle, I received a some replies as to what a fair price would be for this rifle.

My friend who has the gun for sale just called me and he claimed that he had the gun apprised today by a gun shop for $3750.00.  I read all of the posts that you guys sent me but he still is worth the $3750.00 since it it is an a very rare caliber, 32-40, that makes it worth much more than the $2000.00 that I offered.  I suggested that he take the gun back to the gun shop tomorrow and sell it as the owner of the gun shop thinks that it is very valuable.  Oh yes, the gun shop owner claimed that the mid sight was not orginal, the rear tang sight was bent, the gun was very rusty as it should have a  blued finish and it needed a professional cleaning.  He claimed that the steel was not covered with a patina but was badly rusted.

In any case, I am not spending that much money! It is interesting but not at that price.

Any comments regarding the above post?

Thanks to all,

Zeke

IP Logged

ssdave
Frequent Elocutionist

Re: Update on purchase of 1885 Winchester H.W.
Reply #1 - Apr 14th, 2010 at 11:40pm
Print Post  
If the gun shop owner is valid in his appraisal, is knowledgeable in winchester high walls,  and works on the typical margin that such a shop makes, he should be willing to pay about $3000 for the rifle.  Maybe even $3250 if it's as rare as he believes.  If he's not willing to make an offer that is between 75 and 80% of what he appraises the rifle at, he's overpricing it on appraisal.   

If he is sincerely interested in purchasing the gun, not just making a lowball offer because he has little interest or thinks he can get away with it, I would take whatever he's offering, add 20% to it, and think that's about the typical retail that can be gained by patient selling, without taking advantage of the buyer.   

The market for good, desirable guns is quite competitive.  Most successful dealers who make a living at it, not just go to shows to warm up the chairs and buy stuff that walks by, operate on a 10 to 20% profit margin on better merchandise.  They try to get a bit more out of low end, typical merchandise, and make their gravy on occasional windfalls that come to them cheap.

dave

IP Logged

fallingblock
ASSRA Board Member

Reply #2 - Apr 15th, 2010 at 12:22am
Print Post  
Zeke,
It is interesting the if dealer thinks the 32-40 is rare he is not very knowledgeable in High Walls. If it is in the condition the dealer states "mid sight was not orginal, the rear tang sight was bent, the gun was very rusty" and "steel was not covered with a patina but was badly rusted." His price is way over the top for the condition if it is as bad as that. It is always posable that it is indeed a rare gun but I would think it unlikely. 
Now if the boxes of factory Ammo are from the 1880's and they go with the rifle the price may still not be bad and may in fact be where the value is.
Cheers,
Laurie

Cheers,
Laurie
ASSRA Secretary & Archivist

IP Logged

fallingblock
ASSRA Board Member

Reply #3 - Apr 15th, 2010 at 12:48am
Print Post  
Zeke,
I just looked on Guns International and found this. I think is is a reasonable buy is you want a high wall.

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

Cheers,
Laurie

Cheers,
Laurie

IP Logged

40_Rod
Frequent Elocutionist

Extremism in the persuit
of accuracy is not a
vice

Reply #4 - Apr 15th, 2010 at 8:13am
Print Post  
Most gunshop owners wouldn't know an origional Winchester 1885 from their elbow. I have been told a shocking amount of aftermarket stuff was "Factory original". I have seen every thing from P.O. Ackley stamped barrels to Paul Shuttleworth palmrests tried to be passed off as "rare factory".The single most over used description when dealing with Winchesters is the word "rare". As in rare Winchester wooden stocks. Or rare Winchester with Brass buttplate. Or as in Rare Winchester Serial number 345XX, Only one left the factory so marked. If your friend wants that much for a rusty High wall let him sell it on Fleabay there are enough fools there to buy into such nonsense. 

40 Rod

IP Logged

John Rigby

Reply #5 - May 5th, 2010 at 3:39pm
Print Post  
What 40_Rod said.

Dutch

John Rigby

IP Logged

boats
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #6 - May 5th, 2010 at 5:31pm
Print Post  
My advice is to let your friend offer the gun on the market, and give him a reserve price you are willing to pay. If he is a friend you want him to get as much as possible for the gun . Something that has worked for me in the past is give them a check, you will know if he accepts the offer when the check is cashed. You can only do this with somebody you know and trust.

I had a friend who had been told his poor condition Ballard was worth high dollar and after a few months cashed my check for 1/3 of what he thought it was worth.  I used the gun for a while then sold it to a competitor at a match for exactly what I paid. Selling are re-selling price set the market price not what some "expert" who would not put cash on the line appraised it for.

On High walls, and I am down this path with a Low Wall action so know what I am speaking about.  Buy a rough one for 2000 you are going to  double the buying price to come up with something worth owning.  Stock work barrel work add sights loading tools molds etc.  

That is unless somebody wants to own a gun with "Patina",  that generally means dirty from standing in the corner of the Kitchen for 100 years in Gun traders language

Boats

IP Logged

whitey hanson
Ex Member

Reply #7 - May 5th, 2010 at 6:10pm
Print Post  
Smile everybody is trowing these prices around. As most know I am a LW ,martin,Peabody,RB fancy Mauser's fan etc. But have not been involved with High Walls. I "think" I have a chance to trade for a Super nice 32-40 HW with PG real nice all checkered wood and DST's.  and is a take down model  I don't think it's been outside in 40 years. Any advice on worth would be appreciated.  Whitey

IP Logged

whitey hanson
Ex Member

Reply #8 - May 6th, 2010 at 4:40pm
Print Post  
Did I post on the wrong thread.?? If so no problem I will start a new one. Whitey

IP Logged

fallingblock
ASSRA Board Member

Reply #9 - May 6th, 2010 at 4:59pm
Print Post  
Whitey,
Look at Jim Goergen's High Walls on Gun Broker. He has two take downs listed now.
I have in the last three years picked up two actions for under $1000.00 each but feel it was as much luck as anything. One came with the iron and one didn't but it has schuetzen double sets which are very nice. 
Still looking for a barrel if he wants to trade for an regular action I have a few on the side. Even have a rifle or two that could go for a take down even up(:
Cheers,
Laurie

Cheers,
Laurie

IP Logged

whitey hanson
Ex Member

Reply #10 - May 6th, 2010 at 6:17pm
Print Post  
Laurie after talking to you I went and looked at the rifle as I had never seen it just talked about it. This rifle is as close to new as I have ever seen. And still in the wood case etc. That it was given to his grand dad in as a retirement present at the time of his retirement. from the railroad. so for sure it is not a parts rifle as I first thought. I just got to decide if I want to trade for it.  Whitey

IP Logged

ssdave
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #11 - May 6th, 2010 at 10:08pm
Print Post  
Whitey,

I'm about as cheap as they get when it comes to buying guns, but I'd put down a substantial amount of money for a rifle as you describe, if it's not messed with at all. 

I just bought a brown finish, not messed with, good condition 20 ga takedown high wall.  I paid $1100 and thought it was a fair bargain.

Pistol grip and double sets would add $800 to that price in a hurry.  Conditon, select sights, or accessories could double or triple the overall price very easily.

dave

IP Logged

whitey hanson
Ex Member

Reply #12 - May 6th, 2010 at 10:31pm
Print Post  
Thanks fellows. I am thinking about the trade. The problem is #1 I am not a big HW fan. I know I am crazy  but the LW's are my favorite. And the car he wants to trade it in on. I don't want to get rid of it. So if I make The deal I would just sell the HW. Then I would not have the special car. Just money and we all know what we do with that> SPEND It. Smiley So.?? Whitey

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint