Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) 25-06 Rem. Ackley Improved (Read 12939 times)
Gone Fly Fishing
Frequent Elocutionist

25-06 Rem. Ackley Improved
Apr 3rd, 2010 at 12:01pm
Print Post  

I'm seeking information regarding the 25-06 Remington Ackley Improved cartridge and specifically how does in differ from the 25-06 Remington.  Will the Ackley Improved cartridge chamber into the 25-06 Remington chambered rifle ?  If not, may a standard 25-06 Rem chamber be altered by using the Ackley chamber reamer in order to accept the Improved cartridge ?

Would a plain based cast lead bullet be acceptable for loading the Ackley Improved, or would that be defeating the purpose of the Improved round.   

I'm not informed at all Re: the Ackley Improved round, but since the original round is a high speed jacketed varmint bullet, I suspect that Ackley's improvement simply made it a higher velocity.

Thanks much for your information,

Creedmoormatch

IP Logged

boats
Frequent Elocutionist

Re: 25-06 Rem. Ackley Improved
Reply #1 - Apr 3rd, 2010 at 12:06pm
Print Post  
Creedmore

Ackleys were generally the same cartridge as the factory round with the chamber reamed out to have less taper and sharper shoulder allowing more room for powder.  He was a good salesman and promoted the cartridges well. Some are better some not much better. I used to have a K Hornet which used the same methods and in a single shot straighter case was an advantage, not much but some.  You could and did shoot factory rounds in the Ackley chamber to blow them out to the new shape. Ackley would not chamber in a factory chamber.

I have Ackleys book and a couple of others on wildcat rounds you can borrow if you want. To my mind it's not suitable for cast bullets. One of the smaller case 25 calibers would be better. Too much air space when loaded to cast bullet max preassures.

Boats

IP Logged

Gone Fly Fishing
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #2 - Apr 3rd, 2010 at 12:21pm
Print Post  

Boats '

What are you doing indoors and in front of your computer screen on a great day like today.  I would have thought you'd be out on your boat, soaking up some rays, with a line over the side for tonight's supper.

Thanks for your input RE: the Ackley cartridge.  I wanted to ask you if you've ever worked up a Ruger No. 1 S.S.  You probably know this, but some are good right from the factory, while others require a lot of "know how" and tuning to get them to shoot consistently.

What is your level of expertise on the Ruger No. 1 ?

Hope to see you at Thurmont on the 16th .

Creedmoormatch

IP Logged

boats
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #3 - Apr 3rd, 2010 at 1:21pm
Print Post  
Creedmore the Chief Steward is putting lunch aboard right now. Cocktail Cruise no fishing today.  I skipped the Ram Bash in favor of Yachting on the Corkscrew III.  Fishing Skiff is ready to go too. Shad in the rivers now and Fly Rod Stripers not far behind

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

Don't know a thing about Ruger # 1's

Expect to see you at Thurmont next week.  Schuetzen no Fishing or cruising

Boats

IP Logged

waterman
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #4 - Apr 3rd, 2010 at 5:46pm
Print Post  
Boats,

Do you pickle the shad?  My mother-in-law used to pickle shad from "an old family recipe".  Always tasted & smelled like something pilfered or discarded from a high school biology class.

IP Logged

SBoomer
Oldtimer

Reply #5 - Apr 3rd, 2010 at 6:03pm
Print Post  
The concept of the Ackley Improved is that the original round can be fired in the Improved chamber(and how all fireforming is done). The Improved round changes the chamber to less taper and a steeper shoulder. The Improved round WILL NOT chamber in the standard chamber. The standard 25-06 is already overbore and Improving it is just a waste of powder in my opinion. Ackley will even tell you this in his writings. He was not fond of the 25-06AI. I have done several for customers and in working up loads the gain is insignifigant for the expense. Several of Ackleys other Improved cartridges are night and day difference in both velocity and accuracy. The .257AI is my personal favorite. I have designed several proprietary cartridges based on Ackley's concept with excellent results.

Mike  

IP Logged

38_Cal
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #6 - Apr 3rd, 2010 at 6:12pm
Print Post  
CMM, one thing you have to keep in mind, when cutting a chamber for an Ackley Improved version in rimless calibers, unless you're starting from a blank barrel, you will have to set the barrel back one turn.  This will get the start of the shoulder in the right place to correctly support the parent case when fireforming.  I've seen reamers run in without setting back the barrel, and it caused some major problems!  And I agree, the 25-06 is not a good candidate for re-chambering to AI.

David

David Kaiser
Montezuma, IA

IP Logged

boats
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #7 - Apr 3rd, 2010 at 9:20pm
Print Post  
I agree you can get all you need out of a 25/06 without changing the shoulder.  To my mind the best high velocity 25's are on a smaller case than the 30/1906 anyway. Modern powders don't need all that space.  257 Roberts or one of the wildcats on the 7mm case is about perfect.  260 Remington which is just a 6.5 MM .308 is the cartridge to shoot Silhouette now. Adequate power minimum recoil very accurate. If I was building a new light hunting rifle that's what I would build.

We release all the Shad.  Not the best table food for sure. Around here Hickory's are protected White Shad you can keep. Roe is good but that's about all. For a  Virginia Shad planking stake one out on a cedar plank in front of an open fire, cook then throw the Shad away and eat the plank.

Boats

IP Logged

trapdoor Dick
Oldtimer

Reply #8 - Apr 3rd, 2010 at 10:22pm
Print Post  
CMM, I gots to agree with Boats on one thing, (but don't let it go to your head Boats) in the quarter bores The one I loved best was my 257 Roberts. Hated to get rid of it. The smaller case is much more efficient than 25-06. Some of the "improved" cartridges create more problems, as has been indicated here, than they are worth. Case in point, a .22 Hornet on a Ballard No. 5 DST action. convert it to "K"Hornet and it cracked the receiver. You wouldn't think this could happen, I didn't, but it can, so just be careful. 

Dick

Democracy is two wolves and a lamb deciding what to have for dinner. Liberty is a well armed lamb. - Benjamin Franklin

IP Logged

Mizura
Participating Member

Reply #9 - Apr 4th, 2010 at 11:06am
Print Post  
Not a AI 25-06, but a shooter. It's a .257 Wby.

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

Nice light rifle.

Jim

two wrongs don't make a right, but 3 lefts do

IP Logged

rustyrelx
Senior Forum Member

Reply #10 - Jun 8th, 2010 at 10:08am
Print Post  
A friend had a 25-06AI. He was a varmit shooter. His loading proceedure was to fill the case with 4831 place a 87 grainer on it and shoot away. Small ring action. I do NOT recommend this load to anybody, its just the way he loaded. He had no trouble with it by the way. Seems like it got there before the reciol was felt or seen thru the scope. It was fast. Effeciency has nothing to do with this cartridge. It is just fast..bucks wind pretty good too with the 87 grainer. In the right action theres nothing better. Can be used for large game also with the 120 grainers.
  Don

IP Logged

Bulseyetom
Oldtimer

Reply #11 - Feb 25th, 2022 at 11:05am
Print Post  
Many years ago I bought my first single shot hunting rifle, a slightly used Browning B78 in 25-06.  My intention was to have it rechambered to a 25-06 Gibbs.  I bought a box of factory ammo as I didn't want to buy dies for a 25-06 if I was going to rechamber and went to the range to see if the rifle would shoot.  The first 3 shot group was a cloverleaf at 100 yards and I decided not to try a rechamber and ruin a straight shooting rifle.  Many years later, it has accounted for a boat load of deer and antelope and I never found myself wanting for more velocity.  Then I got wiser with the years and built a 25/35 WCF on a Stevens 44 1/2 and it has now taken several deer and antelope.  Point is, we do not need all of the speed in the world to hunt with. If you want to join the generation that thinks shooting game at 700 yards is the thing to do, then forget the 25 caliber and get a 338 Lapua, a gunbearer to carry the thing, a muzzle break off of a Sherman Tank, a pair of 25 power binoculars and go shoot game.  If not, enjoy the 25-06 as an excellent hunting rifle.  I hunted with a guide a few years ago that used a 25-06 on antelope, deer, black bear and elk with a 117 grain factory Remington bullet.  If I was starting with a new barrel on the Ruger #1, I would go with a 257 Roberts but nothing wrong with the 25-06.  Attached is a picture of a buck taken with my 25/35 at 225 yards.  Tom

Twitter  
IP Logged

slowshot
Participating Member

Reply #12 - Feb 25th, 2022 at 9:39pm
Print Post  
good shooting, nice buck and a reeealy nice stevens.
Dennis

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint