Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2]  Send TopicPrint
Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) Fair price for an 1885 Winchester H.W. 32-40? (Read 10495 times)
Quarter_Bore
Oldtimer

Re: Fair price for an 1885 Winchester H.W. 32-40?
Reply #15 - Mar 28th, 2010 at 6:35pm
Print Post  
Sounds like a Lyman 2A. The small lever was just to lock the staff in an upright position. This sort of sight brings about $150 or so. I think if you look real close you will see that it is marked Lyman and has patent dates. If it had windage adjustment there would be a small Knurled knob on the side of the sight, down by the base. Many rifles had no other windage adjustment other then to drive the front sight back and forth. This was probably more of a hunting rifle, so windage would not have come up that often. Back in the day most target rifles had the windage adjustment built into the front sight. Again you would see a small knob or a tab which would be used for adjustment.

IP Logged

38_Cal
Frequent Elocutionist

Re: Fair price for an 1885 Winchester H.W. 32-40?
Reply #16 - Mar 28th, 2010 at 7:10pm
Print Post  
Quarter_Bore wrote on Mar 28th, 2010 at 6:35pm:
Sounds like a Lyman 2A.  If it had windage adjustment there would be a small Knurled knob on the side of the sight, down by the base. Many rifles had no other windage adjustment other then to drive the front sight back and forth. This was probably more of a hunting rifle, so windage would not have come up that often..

You'll also find that hunting rifles would occasionally have shims under one side of the tang sight base, to make a windage correction for one particular range where it was sighted in.  My Savage 99 with an integral front sight ramp and pinned-in blade had that on it when I got the rifle.   

David

David Kaiser
Montezuma, IA

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 
Send TopicPrint