Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic 32-40 WCF Case Identifier (Read 4529 times)
Gone Fly Fishing
Frequent Elocutionist

32-40 WCF Case Identifier
Jan 24th, 2010 at 7:31pm
Print Post  

The original 32-40 WCF cartridge was a black powder cartridge when introduced to the American public.  After the developement of smokeless powder, W-W continued the manufacture of the popular 32-40 loading with black powder, as well as with smokeless powder.  In order to distinguish one loading from the other, W-W imprinted (scored) a ring around the case circumference approximately 1/2 inch back from the case mouth for cases loaded with smokeless powder.

I am looking for information regarding the date at which point W-W discontinued the use of the identifier ring which scored the brass of smokeless loads.       

Anyone of our readers who is a cartridge case collector may know the date.

Creedmoormatch

IP Logged

Set_Trigger
Ex Member

Re: 32-40 WCF Case Identifier
Reply #1 - Jan 25th, 2010 at 12:23am
Print Post  
I always thought that the ring around the case was for makeing sure that when loaded with a jacked bullet it did not get pushed back into the case when using in a repeating rifle such as a 1894 Win., had nothing to do with the powder, at least that's what one of the guys at Winchester told me many years ago.
ST

IP Logged

BP
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #2 - Jan 25th, 2010 at 1:02am
Print Post  
I recall the "ring" being used with Winchesters short range loads (lighter bullet, lower velocity for gallery or small game), but maybe I'm just muddying the waters here.
BP

There are three kinds of men: The ones that learn by reading, the few who learn by observation, and the rest who have to pee on the electric fence and find out for themselves.
Proud Noodlehead

IP Logged

Gone Fly Fishing
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #3 - Jan 25th, 2010 at 9:51am
Print Post  

Thanks Guys;

Set Trigger, the ring imprint around the case is very slight, and the inside indentation is not much, but I guess it could be intended to be an "index mark" for seating long jacketed bullets.  The ring in set back away from the mouth at  0.540 ", so you may well be correct.

What I understood was that Winchester didn't want their smokeless loads  winding up in the multitudes of early black powder firearms when W-W first switched over to smokeless and they were producing both Smokeless and black powder simultaneously.   

Each box of ammunition would have been clearly marked to distinguish one from the other, but W-W apparently wanted something in the way of a permanent "mark" on higher pressure smokeless cases for when they were placed into a cartridge belt or sportsman's pocket.

Someone must know for sure  (Winchester Manufacturing obviously does)

Creedmoormatch

IP Logged

Stonewall
Ex Member

Reply #4 - Jan 29th, 2010 at 1:46pm
Print Post  
You will most probably find more than you want to know on that subject here.

The International Ammunition Association forum :

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

Glenn Smiley

IP Logged

waterman
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #5 - Jan 30th, 2010 at 8:51pm
Print Post  
I consulted Shuey's "W.R.A.Co. Headstamped cartridges and their variations".

There was a short range load with a 98-grain lead bullet loaded from 1894 to 1916.  Also from 1912 to 1916, a 100 grain "full patch" bullet was loaded.  Both loads apparently have a small ring near the neck.  The black powder load without any grooves was loaded from 1886 to 1937.  The smokeless load with the groove at the base of the bullet first appeared about 1895 and was apparently used throughout the WRAco production run.  The groove was on the case regardless of whether the case was sold as reloading components or loaded ammunition.  I have some new "Winchester" cases that came from some factory in a factory-labeled zip-loc bag.  They have grooves.

The groove served to stop the bullet from being pushed back into the case when loaded into a tubular magazine.  I was also told by a retired W-W employee that it was an easy way to quickly identify a product in the midst of a manufacturing run.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint