Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic Steel Silhouettes Colors (Read 2459 times)
Sharps1874
Ex Member

Steel Silhouettes Colors
Nov 6th, 2008 at 11:32am
Print Post  
A few years ago I made my own steel silhouettes. I have painted them both white and black. White at this time has been the best color to see at a distance. I was wondering if anyone has found a color that stands out better then Black and White. I can shoot out to 400 meters.  I use them on private property in the local foothills that are near me. So the land is not flat. The shooting is done close the top of the mountain ridge. I get excellent light all day.  I have the sun over my back when I start in the mornings. I know that black and white are typical colors. I have used florescent orange, not with much success at all. Green will not work in the spring, blends with the green grass on the hills.  I am looking at finding other colors that may work better then Black and White. I would appreciate any and all suggestions on the use of other colors.

IP Logged

screwloosetc
Ex Member

Re: Steel Silhouettes Colors
Reply #1 - Nov 6th, 2008 at 4:07pm
Print Post  
HOW ABOUT BRIGHT ALUMINUM ORCHROME?
TOM

IP Logged

screwloosetc
Ex Member

Reply #2 - Nov 6th, 2008 at 4:08pm
Print Post  
MENT CHROME

IP Logged

Sharps1874
Ex Member

Reply #3 - Nov 7th, 2008 at 4:52pm
Print Post  
screwloosetc,

I have tried the silver paint; I was not impressed with it. I will give the Bright Aluminum and Chrome a try. Have you used them? And if so, what were you impressions on how well they stood out. And how far out did you try them? 400 meters at this time is the longest distance that I can set up at and easily get to. I can shoot out much farther, yet I am unable to carry my silhouettes. Nor do I wish to carry them out some 500 meters to 1,000 meters mostly up hill. If I owned the land, then perhaps I would just set up once and leave them. Not on this property.   

Thanks for the suggestion. 

IP Logged

screwloosetc
Ex Member

Reply #4 - Nov 8th, 2008 at 7:58am
Print Post  
MY EXPERIENCE WITH COLOR DOES NOT COME FROM SHOOTING BUT MODEL AIRPLANES.THE BRIGHT FLORESCENTS SHOW UP THE BEST AGAINST A TREELINE AND BLACK AND WHITE AGAINST THE SKY. IF U HAVE A LOCAL HOBBY SHOP NEAR U U MIGHT WANT TO LOOK AT SOME OF THE FILM COVERINGS IN USE. THEY ARE HEAT SENSITIVE AND IRON ON.WOULD WORK GOOD ON A SMOOTH SURFACE. MONOKOTE IS A BRAND NAME. FIND A LOCAL MODEL  AIRPLANE GUY MORE THAN LIKELY HE WILL BE FRIENDLY AND HELPFULL.
TOM

IP Logged

tim_s
Oldtimer

Reply #5 - Nov 9th, 2008 at 4:40pm
Print Post  
Back when we shot a lot of  IHMSA big bore pistol it was pretty much agreed that flat white gave the most consistant sight picture with good contrast. I have also read it gives less eye strain and have no reason to disagree.

“ I don’t have to be faster than the bear, I just have to be faster than you”

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint