Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic Rifle Selling Question (Read 2097 times)
wislnwings
Participating Member

Rifle Selling Question
Oct 23rd, 2008 at 11:26am
Print Post  
I've got a single shot rifle I'm looking to sell (due to our first child on the way).  I'm hoping you guys can recommend what the best way to sell it is?  I'm assuming "online" is probably best.  I've checked with the local gun shops but they dnot deal in older rifles such as this.  If I sell it online, how do I need to ship it?  Through an FFL or direct to individual?  Thanks.

IP Logged

Paul_F.
Ex Member

Re: Rifle Selling Question
Reply #1 - Oct 23rd, 2008 at 11:39am
Print Post  
You have a few choices for places to sell it..
Here, for one, in the For Sale/Trade section.

Or you could post an auction on Gunbroker, or AuctionArms. Or post a classified on GunsAmerica.

As for shipping;
If it was made in 1898 or prior, it's an antique and you can ship it directly to a buyer.
If it was made after 1898, then it's not an antique, and you MUST ship it to an FFL (or Curio and Relic if the firearms qualifies - and I'm not qualified to tell if it qualifies).

Get a copy of the FFL dealers license before you ship.

Hope this helps!
Paul F.

PS if it happens to be a High Wall in .38-55, drop me an email, and I might be able to save you the trouble of posting it anywhere Wink

IP Logged

Bruce P

Reply #2 - Oct 23rd, 2008 at 8:08pm
Print Post  
Another alternative may be to place it on consignment. 

If you have a large gun shop near you which attracts a lot of traffic might be the route to go. Often they work on commission. See what kind of deal you can strike.

I've sold guns through both Track of the Wolf and Buffalo Arms. Both offer good services, and reach a wide customer base. Call them up, tell them what you have and what you would like to get out of it. That may work for you also.

Good Luck, Bruce

IP Logged

slumlord44
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #3 - Oct 23rd, 2008 at 9:19pm
Print Post  
I would post it here first. It is free. Gunbroker is not. Any gun over 50 years old is a C&R. You need to be able to prove this. For example, Stevens 44's and 44 1/2's have all been out of production for much over 50 years so no problem. Some guns age can be verified by serial #. If you have any Stevens I may be interested. There are a lot of potential buyers here. Good luck.

IP Logged

wislnwings
Participating Member

Reply #4 - Oct 24th, 2008 at 7:41am
Print Post  
Thanks guys.  I'll post it here later today.  It is a Winchester Lo Wall that was built in 1902 if my serial number research is correct.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint