Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2  Send TopicPrint
Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) "Beeswax" on Bullets (Read 9007 times)
Redwing
Oldtimer

"Beeswax" on Bullets
Oct 7th, 2008 at 6:12pm
Print Post  
Hello all !!!

Just finished a novel that takes place during the first World War.. The story is of a Aussie sniper who distinguishes’ himself through out the horror of war. During these amazing feats of accuracy, it is noted that his spotter informs him that all is prepared for him and each bullet has received a fresh coat of Beeswax….

My question is: Has anybody ever used this method to lube the bullet and what were the results. If I had a coronagraph, I would test the obvious myself, but I don’t, so how about it ???

Any info ????

Ed….  

IP Logged

boats
Frequent Elocutionist

Re: "Beeswax" on Bullets
Reply #1 - Oct 7th, 2008 at 6:38pm
Print Post  
It was popular to coat 03 Springfield cartridges with grease before shooting in that period, and one of the reasons some blew up, Brittle actions with pressure increased because of the extra material in the bore. No doubt there was a lot of coating and doubt it helped at all. And dangerous in a high velocity round,

Most of that sniper stuff is pure BS.  Like the guys who keep taking there rifles apart and cleaning them, Wonder how they found the right sight settings when the gun was always apart.  I don't know of any Sniper Novels that are accurate,

If you want to read the best book on WWI Snipers read McBrides book "A Rifleman went to war", He was the real deal

Boats

IP Logged

Paul_F.
Ex Member

Reply #2 - Oct 7th, 2008 at 7:01pm
Print Post  
Sounds like 99.5% BS to me...
However, at the time (if I recall correctly) some .30-06 ammunition had cupro-nickel jackets, which left a very hard to remove fouling in the bore... 
I have read some things from target shooters of the era about gyrations they went through to remove and/or prevent cupro-nickel fouling.

I'm going to guess that trying beeswax on bullets may have been tried in a non-combat circumstance, and the writer picked that up and ran with it.

IP Logged

Jeff_Schultz
ASSRA Board Member

Reply #3 - Oct 7th, 2008 at 8:51pm
Print Post  
Boats is right on with his book recomend, you won't be able to put it down!

"We have met the enemy and he is us." Pogo

“There is no situation so bad that it cannot be made worse."

Confidence- The feeling you get before you fully understand the situation.

IP Logged

QuestionableMaynard8130
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #4 - Oct 7th, 2008 at 9:04pm
Print Post  
another speculative take on it:
The trenches in WW I were absolutely filthy with mud and rain--especially the Brit Sector lines.  I know from my reading that they spent a lot of time scrubbing their equipment down to keep it functional in the environment--it had a higher priority thay their clothes and bodies.  Dirty ammo was a major issue.   Perhaps after scrubbing ammo it was felt that a supplemental wax coating would help, if nothing else, keeping it sealed.   I seem to recall from somewhere that cordite was real susceptible to dampness

sacred cows make the best burger

IP Logged

sureshot
Senior Forum Member

Reply #5 - Oct 7th, 2008 at 10:40pm
Print Post  
Does anyone know what jacket material is used for the bullets in the Swiss G11 7.5 military ammo? It appears to be either a steel or a nickel alloy.
These rounds have a wax ring at the junction of the bullet and the case mouth. It would appear to be for sealing purposes.
Steve

IP Logged

Singleshotlover
Oldtimer

Reply #6 - Oct 7th, 2008 at 11:15pm
Print Post  
For a good read try "Brown on Resolution" by C.S. Forrester excellent book.
The bullets on the swiss GP11 are steel jacketed or cupro nickle alloy. The wax ring was used as a sealant up to a certain year. Then the swiss improved the sealing and the wax ring was done away with. I have some GP11 dated 1982 and it has the wax ring. Hope this helps. Frank

Singleshotlover

IP Logged

waterman
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #7 - Oct 8th, 2008 at 2:05am
Print Post  
If you suspect steel jacket material, check it out with a magnet.  That will differentiate between steel & cupro-nickle.

IP Logged

sureshot
Senior Forum Member

Reply #8 - Oct 8th, 2008 at 1:14pm
Print Post  
The GP11 ammo I have is dated 1979, and it has the wax ring on it. I tested the bullet with a magnet and the attraction is pretty strong. I remember reading somewhere that this ammo is steel jacketed, but aren't nickel and nickel alloys also magnetic?
Steve

IP Logged

Schutzenbob
Frequent Elocutionist

Rheinisch-Westfälisc
hen Sprengstoff-Fabriken

Reply #9 - Oct 8th, 2008 at 1:52pm
Print Post  
I've always been leary of steel jacketed bullets, even though they've been used for many years, during WWII the Germans made lots of steel jacketed bullets as well as steel cases, the problem with them is that when steel rusts it creats iron oxide which is a very strong abrasive. Usually the steel jacket is coated with copper or nickel to prevent rust, however it only takes one or two rusty bullets to destroy a rifle barrel. This may be why the steel jacketed bullets were coated with a layer of bees wax.

Bob

IP Logged

Redwing
Oldtimer

Reply #10 - Oct 8th, 2008 at 3:05pm
Print Post  
Hi All !!!

After reading the post’s, I decided to pursue my own question with a vengeance..

It seems that Beeswax is a cure-all for just about everything (according to the Beeswax industry). I find that every Kit issued to the British solder (in WW1) had a tin of B/W in it.

Mixed 50 /50 with a light oil (olive ?), it produced a salve that was used to treat cut’s, callous, burns and such.. When used on equipment, it was used as a water & wood preservative, weatherproofing, lubricant, leather softener and whatever else came along. 

It’s use on coating bullets were more so to provide a better seal and lubricant for the worn-out barrels suffering from corrosion and excessive use.. As a soft coating, it was not considered a threat… There appears to be no record of failure due to this procedure and we certainly can’t criticize the marksmanship of the sniper in those times.

I look forward to reading those books suggested in the previous post’s..

Thank You !!!

Ed…..

IP Logged

Kurt_701
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #11 - Oct 8th, 2008 at 6:59pm
Print Post  
It might be interesting to note that NECO kits for molying copper bullets ( for Highpower shooting)include carnuba wax. The wax is applied after the bullets have been molyed.  I presume mostly to keep the moly from migrating to everything the bullets touch. While I moly coat, I do not use the wax on Boots Obermeyer's recommendation.

M-14 3rd Battalion 27th Marines RVN 68'69'

IP Logged

waterman
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #12 - Oct 9th, 2008 at 11:56am
Print Post  
Try the magnet on some metal that you think contains nickle and also on a piece of high-quality stainless steel. Compare the results with the GP11 bullet results.

IP Logged

henpeckedmuch
Ex Member

Reply #13 - Oct 13th, 2008 at 1:09pm
Print Post  
   Bee's wax is used for many different things. Like furniture polish, lip gloss, and bullet lube for shooting lead bullets. I have used it for years on my original Springfield 1861 barrels. These barrels were left in the white not blued or browned. One can imagine what dampness encountered outside for long periods would do to them. But, if you apply the bee's wax by rubbing the hardened  wax on the barrel and using a leather piece to rub it onto the metal. The friction of rubbing causes the wax to heat up and spread a ultra thin coat of wax over the entire barrel. Barrels thus treated will resist rusting in inclimate weather and even rain. And, if the same treatment is applied to the stock including the barrel channel your stock can take quite a bit of moisture without warpage as well. This treatment can also be used to treat blued or browned barrels as well. So, I also use it on my modern rifles when I know I will be outside hunting for some time and not be able to protect my rifle as I normally would. What it would do for a fellow under the conditions of trench warfare would seem obvious. But, one must realise that a metal jacketed bullet that was just dipped in wax and loaded in a centerfire rifle would probably be a dangerous  situation.

IP Logged

QuestionableMaynard8130
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #14 - Oct 13th, 2008 at 9:52pm
Print Post  
If I recall correctly the ol'-tyme treatment for freshly browned barrels was to immerse them in boiling water to heat up the metal so it yourr evaporate off quickly and then while the barrel was hot rub it down with a lump of beeswax.

At one point in my chaotic career track I worked for a number of years as a museum director.  We used a specialty product which was some sort of emulsified beeswax/carnauba mix in a pump spray to protect metal.  spray it on, it leaves a yellowish-white film when the solvent flashes off, the rub/burnish/polish. yields a hard highly poolished surface with a lot of effort but it was an excellent rust preventative.  We got it through the museum/archival specialty supply houses.  I seem to recal it might have been called Royal Armory Spray Wax or something like that

sacred cows make the best burger

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 
Send TopicPrint