Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic your opinion on metal finish "retro roller resto" (Read 3884 times)
Magnum_Wheel_Man
Ex Member

your opinion on metal finish "retro roller resto"
Oct 3rd, 2008 at 11:42am
Print Post  
Looking for suggestions for metal surface finishes for this rifle...

it's coming along pretty quickly

I was originally thinking deep blue, as I saw the gun the 1st time... but the wood is so dark, I'm thinking that "white" steel might make the furniture look better or stand out more...

... that & I kinda like how the blued reciever with the new breech block & hammer pins still in white looks, so maybe stainless screws, white finish on the hammer, trigger, & main pins, with the deep blue Diamond Kote on the reciever ??? maybe leave the reciever deep blue & the barrel in the white ( I know thats oposite of how the 2 tone guns are done ) ???

anyway, here are some updated pics...

IP Logged

Magnum_Wheel_Man
Ex Member

Re: your opinion on metal finish "retro roller res
Reply #1 - Oct 3rd, 2008 at 11:43am
Print Post  
barrel still in the white, with close up of the wood, with stainless hardware in the fore arm...

IP Logged

Magnum_Wheel_Man
Ex Member

Reply #2 - Oct 3rd, 2008 at 11:44am
Print Post  
another with the 8 X 40 cartridge the gun is now chambered in...

IP Logged

Magnum_Wheel_Man
Ex Member

Reply #3 - Oct 3rd, 2008 at 11:46am
Print Post  
8 X 40 cartridge next to a 30-30 for comparasion...

IP Logged

Singleshotlover
Oldtimer

Reply #4 - Oct 3rd, 2008 at 11:45pm
Print Post  
Blue the whole rifle. Gotta ask what parent case did you use for your 8x40 cartridge? Guessing 303 british maybe? Thanks Frank

Singleshotlover

IP Logged

mdeland
Ex Member

Reply #5 - Oct 4th, 2008 at 4:42am
Print Post  
The actions sure look nice when bone cased. MD

IP Logged

Magnum_Wheel_Man
Ex Member

Reply #6 - Oct 4th, 2008 at 11:20am
Print Post  
Quote:
Gotta ask what parent case did you use for your 8x40 cartridge? Guessing 303 british maybe?

it's just a 32-40 with an 8mm bullet instead of 32 caliber ( I used a Shilen 8mm match barrel on the gun, when it was rebarreled, then chambered it for 32-40... the neck area is a bit tight even with the smaller diameter jacketed bullet, so we'll be opening up the neck rea enough to fit the brass expanded to a .325 - 8mm cast bullet as well...

also...

actually by "retro", I mean I'm restoring it to look as it was converted in the 60's as a bench rest gun... too many changes had been made to the original rifle at that time, to make it look period original again... the wood is awesome, & I want to keep it, so it won't look original anyway ( it's getting a 15X Unertl external adjust scope, which goes on next week or so )

in previous posts I posted that I wanted a coating that is more resistant to corrosion, as my hands sweat abnormally, & I expect I'll be shooting this alot... at the time, ( & yes I know they are not "original" finishes ), Black Chrome over Electroless Nickle, or deep blue Diamond Kote... if I wanted a dark finish, or Electroless Nickle or this "French Grey" finish offered by E.A. Brown, which is either electroless nickle, hard chrome, or some other type of resistant plating, were what seemed like the best choices... here are links to the finishes I'm looking at...

the "french grey" link...

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

the deep gun blue Diamond Kote...

Black Chrome... ( note that they also do fire arms not just sink parts )

Electroless Nickle...

note that the black chrome would be the most expensive, & the thickest ( not necessarily a good thing ) as they would do a base of electroless nickle, with the black chrome over the top... & the E.A. Brown company is only a few hours from where I live, so I could drop it off & pick it up, & maybe have some sense of better control of the finishing process ...

my top 2 choice right now, are french grey, if I choose to do the gun in white, or deep blue Diamond Kote if I choose to do the gun in blue... or a mix of the 2, if I choose 2 tone... I'm thinking about having my Dan Wesson 44 mag snuby & a Contender action & barrel done up in these 2 processes, before getting the rifle done, just to see what they look like ???

IP Logged

Singleshotlover
Oldtimer

Reply #7 - Oct 5th, 2008 at 1:52am
Print Post  
Well the french grey like on high end over and under shotguns is nice and you could have the bbl done in black hard chrome but I don't have any knowledge
of these processes. Isn't there something about hydrogen embrittlement that you have to be concerned about when doing a chrome finish on firearms?. Maybe someone way more informed about this will chime in and be able to give more info. Nice rolling block, like the wood especially. Frank

Singleshotlover

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint