Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2  Send TopicPrint
Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) Market research (Read 7540 times)
38_Cal
Frequent Elocutionist

Market research
Sep 24th, 2008 at 11:18am
Print Post  
Just was on the phone with a friend in the metalworking industry, who has access to a number of original actions and buttplates.  Since he wants to "fly under the radar" and not be inundated with phone calls, he asked me to post the question of what sort of action casting kits/parts that Rodney Storey was formerly making and presently not delivering would be worth making?  Thinking about Ballard trigger components, possibly breechblocks, Winchester HiWall components/levers, some Remington parts, and also buttplates, mostly of the Schuetzen flavor.  This is  a "down the road" project, as molds would have to be made and parts either semi-finished or sold as-cast.  Let me know!

David Kaiser
Montezuma, IA

David Kaiser
Montezuma, IA

IP Logged

whitey hanson
Ex Member

Re: Market research
Reply #1 - Sep 24th, 2008 at 11:32am
Print Post  
David just google. He made lots of diffrent kits. How popular some was.??? I do know it seemed like they was always out on what Wes said was the most popular. Whitey

IP Logged

Green_Frog
Frequent Elocutionist

"It ain't easy being green"
ASSRA Life #281

Reply #2 - Sep 24th, 2008 at 11:45am
Print Post  
David,

I would think that sporter Hepburn actions and perhaps paneled Borchardt actions would be two of the better ones.  Another couple of good one would be the Redfield and perhaps a Farrow action in good modern materials.  Complete affordable Ballard breech block assemblies with DST and the DST tang assembly formerly furnished by Ben Rice would be a couple of popular parts, IMHO.

Froggie

IP Logged

Paul_F.
Ex Member

Reply #3 - Sep 24th, 2008 at 11:57am
Print Post  
I have a DS Cole kit... (which I have not had time to really get started on yet...).

I like the Cole for a casting kit because of its simplicity (very few parts).
I'd highly recommend it for a casting kit for that reason (could probably even be finished without a lathe and mill, except for the barrel threads).

If I was tooling up to sell these kits, I'd do two things to each casting before shipping it otherwise unfinished;
1- True and thread the barrel hole to give a rifle builder a single reference plane to work from, and since that's the hardest part for most home-shop setups to do... internal threads on a hard to fixture and hold part.

2- Centerpunch (probably using a fixture) where holes go. The "cast in dimples" are really not accurate for hole location (at least on mine).  Punch-marks in accurate locations would help enormously.

Of course, if I ever actually tackle and FINISH the DS Cole action, I'll know if it's any darn good Smiley

Aside from that, I think your friend is thinking right... Breechblock blanks for High Walls, and Ballards, and Lever castings for High Walls would be awfully nice to be able to get.  So would some buttplate castings.

Just my opinions, of course...

Paul F.

IP Logged

Paul_F.
Ex Member

Reply #4 - Sep 24th, 2008 at 1:30pm
Print Post  
For "when does it become a firearm";  a lot of informal research guidance, (before contacting ATFE on the subject, of course) can be found on the internet regarding the finishing of "80%" AR-15 type lower recievers... 
Apparently, "80%" finished is OK... 81% is a "Firearm".
I don't know which 20% that is... but like I said, there's a lot of reading with a lot of info before you ask ATF.

I'm going to GUESS (and it's just that...) that a barrel hole would be OK, as long as you aren't doing both the barrel hole AND the block mortise.  I think it would be one or the other, but both might be the breaking point into a "firearm" vs a "casting kit".

Just an uneducated opinion!

Paul F.

IP Logged

plumloco

Reply #5 - Sep 24th, 2008 at 3:18pm
Print Post  
SSDAVE,
If you don't mind me asking? How did you contact Rodney?
Plumloco

IP Logged

whitey hanson
Ex Member

Reply #6 - Sep 24th, 2008 at 3:28pm
Print Post  
Maybe Just lucky.??? Grin Seriously I have tried Manyyyyyyyy times for both him and Wes.So good luck as I will not try anymore. Whitey

IP Logged

leadball
Ex Member

Reply #7 - Sep 24th, 2008 at 5:23pm
Print Post  
There are presently no parts available for the 44 Stevens, such as hammer springs, breechblock & finger lever pins, breechblocks and etc.------  leadball

IP Logged

contrary_kid
Ex Member

Reply #8 - Sep 24th, 2008 at 10:48pm
Print Post  
I would vote for a FARROW action with DST.

IP Logged

waterman
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #9 - Sep 25th, 2008 at 1:59am
Print Post  
I have amassed some experience with an original DST Farrow.  Enough to know I'll never have another one.  Think long & hard about how the DST works before you sink any $ into a D-I-Y kit made of castings.

IP Logged

38_Cal
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #10 - Sep 25th, 2008 at 7:24pm
Print Post  
Thanks for the info so far, guys.  Anyone else out there that might want to chime in with suggestions/requests/comments?  My understanding is that RS is just about out of the picture with his castings, don't know what Wes might have in his hands, but the whole situation ain't pretty!   Cry   

David
Montezuma, IA

David Kaiser
Montezuma, IA

IP Logged

Brozbows

Reply #11 - Sep 25th, 2008 at 10:50pm
Print Post  
Hi David,

I hope this pans out, there are a couple items I would LOVE to see!

First and foremost ... dunno the patent/legality issues but... a Miller/de Haas action that we can afford and be able to put together ourselves. 

And, I will echo the need for more Stevens 44 parts and actions (mainly I just want a 22lr squirrel rifle for myself and can't find a 44 up here Smiley

Darryl

IP Logged

JCHannum
Senior Forum Member

Reply #12 - Sep 26th, 2008 at 8:54am
Print Post  
All the suggestions are good, but reflect each responder's personal wants and needs. Your friend will do well to consider the fate of most such enterprises, and keep his day job.

For the most part, these are a labor of love more than a major source of income. It is a very limited market, and requires a significant outlay of cash and time to start up. While all members of this forum are good guys, the name and reputation of the intended manufacturer will also play a very large part in the acceptance of his products.

Jim H.

IP Logged

acelungger
Ex Member

Reply #13 - Sep 28th, 2008 at 1:45pm
Print Post  
I think that you have been advise well, I vote for the Hi Wall, but I would be happy with anything! I am told that Rodney is still advertising, but there is no way to buy anything, i have call 6 times I called Wes Stanley Wensday eve and someone anwered the phone, ithink it was his son, he told me that he had no idea about the buiness, he told me to call back the next day at 3pm and that Wes would be there, no one answered the phone!! i would like to buy even some Hi Wall casting internal parts? I have a person making me a Hi wall reciever, but unless I want to buy a mill I will not be able to finish it!
To the person that is wanting to make casting action kits, i think you will sell a lot!! I cannot imagine how much money Rodney has lost in the last year? I sure would like to see you get going, Action casting is just $100.00 to high for his kit! My last email to Rodney was i would send him the money asap for a Hi Wall kit even if it was real ruff If it was safe!
Just my 2 cents
ACE

IP Logged

dick_norton
Senior Forum Member

Reply #14 - Sep 28th, 2008 at 2:58pm
Print Post  
I wonder if some chiknee mfg. would be willing to produce a top quality, and they can, copy of the High Wall or 44 1/2, dbl. sets, and sell it for about $159.95? Wholesale at $119.95 in lots of 25. Do wonders for the sport.

fred

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 
Send TopicPrint