Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2  Send TopicPrint
Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) Importance of BPCR Silhouette Scope Parallax Adjus (Read 11768 times)
texasmac
Frequent Elocutionist

Importance of BPCR Silhouette Scope Parallax Adjus
Sep 2nd, 2008 at 2:21pm
Print Post  
Hey guys,

I just started another thread on the question of parallax adjustment, or lack thereof on the Leatherwood scope.  I know that both the Parsons (no longer made) and MVA scopes do feature parallax adjustment.  So how about some feedback from you experienced scope shooters concerning the ability to adjust parallax.  Is it a distinct benefit for ranges out to 500 meters?  If it is, do you adjust it during the match or do you adjust it to a nominal setting and leave it along for ranges of 200 to 500 meters?  Also knowing that RHO scopes do not offer parallax adjustment, I’m wondering if the feature is a real or only a perceived benefit (marketing hype).  Thanks.

Wayne

NRA Life (Benefactor & President's Council) Member, TSRA Life Member, NSSF Member, Author & Publisher of the Browning BPCR book
IP Logged

sureshot
Senior Forum Member

Re: Importance of BPCR Silhouette Scope Parallax A
Reply #1 - Sep 2nd, 2008 at 3:34pm
Print Post  
Hi Wayne,
I currently use an MVA scope for BPCR Silhouette. I set the parallax adjustment at the turkey distance (385 meters) and just leave it there. Trying to adjust it for each distance might be possible, but I don't really think it is necessary. I don't know anyone who changes it during a match. Constantly loosening and tightening the tiny screws on the adjusting collar and refocusing could lead to a disaster in the middle of a match.
I used to use an RHO scope and the only reason I switched to an MVA was because of the MVA having both elevation and windage adjustments in the rear mount, thus being a little faster to get a sight setting on the swinger prior to record shots. I usually don't make any adjustments while shooting for record with a scope, just hold to adjust for changing conditions. 
The RHO is not adjustable for parallax, but it didn't ever seem to be a problem. If I were looking for a scope for hunting, I would have stayed with the RHO. It is a much more rugged and traditional looking scope.
Steve

IP Logged

Gundoc
Participating Member

Reply #2 - Sep 2nd, 2008 at 4:07pm
Print Post  
Wayne,   I have had a Leatherwood Malcom for over two years,  have shot from 100 to 500 yards with no problems with parralax, the optics are the best thing going with this scope.  However even with the fine Elevation Adjustment Set , for about $50 extra, the adustment from one range to another is not very fine.  The scope makes a noticeable jump when the locking knob is loosened and the scope may or may not lock where expected after adjusting the elevation screw.  I put up with this until I sold it to a friend, that I made aware of it's quirks.  Perhaps their Precision Long Range Mount for about $200 extra will work like it should. If my friend springs for one of those I will report the results.
Gundoc

IP Logged

texasmac
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #3 - Sep 3rd, 2008 at 8:07pm
Print Post  
Steve & Gundoc,

Thanks or the info.  It's exactly what I was looking for.  Actually I'm seriously considering the relatively new 18" Leatherwood scope.  It's 6 power and comes with a micrometer rear mount (most likely a copy of the Lyman mounts).  The micrometer-style mount should not have the problems associated with the ladder-type mount used on the longer (30.5") scope.  Since the new scope is short, the micrometer mount should have sufficient range for adjustments out to 500 meters.  Both front and rear mounts use screw in blocks (no dovetails). The scope is sealed, nitrogen filled and does not feature parallax adjustment, hence the reason from my questions.  Hopefully the optics will be as good as the longer scope.

Wayne

NRA Life (Benefactor & President's Council) Member, TSRA Life Member, NSSF Member, Author & Publisher of the Browning BPCR book
IP Logged

mriisj assra Life

Reply #4 - Sep 4th, 2008 at 4:07am
Print Post  
Hi Wayne

Please keep us informed of your new scope, I have the long model and concider the short 6X model for my next winter project.

Michael

IP Logged

tenx
Senior Forum Member

Reply #5 - Sep 4th, 2008 at 10:21am
Print Post  
 Parallax is not "marketing hype". It can easily be shown how great an improperly adjusted scope can throw the cross hairs off.

Your eye has a tendency to self center itself when looking thru a small circle so with the small tube scopes this might not be all that critical. But......

Take a scope you know is not set properly. Set it on a set of bags so it can't move with the cross hairs pointed at an object at any distance you want...... say a 100 yds. Now move your eye back and forth across the lens. You will see the cross hairs also move. At 100 yds. this isn't so much but if the parallax is really off this can amount to a coupla inches. Just think what this amount will be at 500 yds.!! You adjust the parallax till no matter where on the rear lens your eye happens to be the cross hairs are still on the target.

This is the major reason I bought the MVA.

Others with more experience might disagree but since I only shoot at 100 or 200 yds. I've found that once the parallax is set for either distance it doesn't change for the other.

PETE

IP Logged

KAF
Ex Member

Reply #6 - Sep 4th, 2008 at 10:29am
Print Post  
Interesting information:

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

IP Logged

SPG
Ex Member

Reply #7 - Sep 4th, 2008 at 11:09am
Print Post  
Gentlemen,

When I shoot scope silhouette, I adjust for parallax for each distance. I may be splitting hairs but it makes me feel better. A few years ago, when at Nationals, a shooter saw me adjusting for parallax and asked me what I was doing. I told him I was taking the parallax out of the scope and he gave me a funny look and walked off. This may explain why the scope silhouette scores are still lower than the iron sight scores.

If a scope does not adjust for parallax one can position it forward so that there is a shadow ring when looking through the eyepiece. Technically, this will help with parallax because one will try to keep the eye centered when looking through the eyepiece. I do both as sort of an insurance policy.

Parallax is a real problem and can seriously affect your shooting. Using a scope that is not adjustable for parallax is simply adding another handicap to an already tough game. I prefer the MVA scopes simply because you get what you pay for. The glass is excellent, workmanship is top-notch...I just wish that they would come out with a 10 or 12X scope.

And don't think that all modern scopes are "parallax free." A friend showed up at the range with his new, very expensive, "sniper scope". When I looked through it at 100 yards, it had about an inch of parallax. He was a little disappointed when I showed him how much this could possibly throw a shot off.

Just my two cents...

Steve

IP Logged

Gundoc
Participating Member

Reply #8 - Sep 5th, 2008 at 10:35am
Print Post  
Wayne,
The 17 inch Leatherwood is 3X and the adjustments are not micrometer but screws with jam nuts. The tops of the the adjustment screw knobs have some marks and numbers,,,but,, not very precise.
I have one,  it is fine for recreational shooting as is the long model but I am sure a serious match shooter would not want to use them.
Midway USA sells them and has user feedback reports on them.  Mike Sexton their factory repair man told me to use the extra anti-slip ring on the short model too.
Gundoc

IP Logged

texasmac
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #9 - Sep 5th, 2008 at 12:34pm
Print Post  
Gundoc,

I am aware of the 17" model, which, as you correctly noted, is only 3 power (part number M334151).  But Leatherwood has recently introduced an 18" 6-power version (part number is M634181), which is the one I was referring too.  It uses the same micrometer style mount as the 3X.

The term, “micrometer-style mount” is commonly used to describe the style of rear mounts that Leatherwood uses with these scopes, which is in contrast to a ladder-style mount.  In this case the term “micrometer” is in reference to a fine thread adjustable knob, similar to a standard measuring micrometer, which also normally has a locking ring or nut.  The micrometer-style mounts can come with or without click-adjustments and/or with or without a locking nut or ring.  As you may know, some scope shooters prefer the micrometer-style mounts over the ladder-type used by Leatherwood on their long 30.5” scope.  MVA & Parsons also use a ladder-type rear mount with their scopes.  Other well-known and higher quality micrometer-style mounts are made by Unertl, Fecker, and mounts for the Winchester 5A or Lyman A5 scope.

Concerning scope sliding, I prefer that the scope slide under recoil, assuming it holds rotational alignment.  Similar to the rear Sliding Mount Accessory (SLDMT) for the long scope, Leatherwood offers a Scope Sliding Lock Ring (17SLR ), which works with the front mount on either the 17” or 18” scopes.  It rigidly clamps to the scope body and provides an under-tube bar that slides in a notch in the front ring, allowing the scope to slide under recoil.  If I purchase the new 18” Leatherwood and the 17SLR does not perform adequately, I may modify the scope with an under-tube pope-style rib.

My interest in the 18” 6X Leatherwood is due to the price, which is around 1/3 the price of an MVA.  My main concern is lack of Parallax adjustment, which may or may not be an issue.  If the rear mount is not adequate, I have a Unertl rear micrometer mount that I can use.

Wayne

IP Logged

texasmac
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #10 - Sep 5th, 2008 at 12:42pm
Print Post  
Gundoc,

I forgot to thank you for your comments.  If I choose to rigidly mount the scope I'll definitely get the extra anti-slip ring.  Also, I agree with you about the inadequate adjustment markings on the rear mount knobs, which is the main reason they may not work for precision adjustments and shooting.  I would not be surprised to find that I end up switching them out for the Unertl mount.    Thanks again.

Wayne

IP Logged

38_Cal
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #11 - Sep 5th, 2008 at 1:03pm
Print Post  
If the scope mounts lock solidly, I don't know why something like the P.J. O"Hare sight micrometer couldn't be made up to help you make precision adjustments at the silhouette or target range.  Take a look at this one on EvilBay, (You need to Login or Register to view media files and links), to see what I'm referring to.  Micrometer heads are readily available to use for the measuring instrument part of the tool.  If you don't have machining capabilities, PM me, and perhaps we can work something out.

David Kaiser
Montezuma, IA

David Kaiser
Montezuma, IA

IP Logged

texasmac
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #12 - Sep 6th, 2008 at 11:41am
Print Post  
Following is an email I received this morning from Randy Oates, owner of R.H.O. Instruments and a well-know classic Malcolm-style scope supplier.  I had spoken to Randy about his scopes a few years ago and knew that his scopes do not feature a parallax adjustment, but asked him to comment once again.  I thought some of you may be interested in his response below.

=================
"Hello Wayne, Thank you for your interest in these sights. In answer to your question, these telescopes are not adjustable for parallax, however, due to the quite long focal lengths of the lenses used in these telescopes, parallax is not much of an issue. The telescopes are zeroed for parallax at 200 yards, and there will be essentially no parallax at distances further than this. At say, 100 yards a small amount of parallax may be observed, but this will amount to no more than approx 1/8" total movement of the crosshairs. At 50 yards observable parallax will be about 1/4". In practice, actual effective parallax will be even less since the relatively small exit pupil diameter of this type of telescope tends to keep the eye well centered in the image (field of view).  If a person wants to use one of these telescopes at a very short distance all the time, say 25 or 50 yards, I can adjust the parallax to zero at this distance, but there will then be some parallax at longer distances."
Regards, Randy Oates
=============

One of Randy's interesting comments is ..."due to the quite long focal lengths of the lenses used in these telescopes, parallax is not much of an issue".  Therefore, the implication, at least to me, is a shorter scope of equivalent power (hence with shorter focal length lenses) and no parallax adjustment could very well have an accuracy problem due to parallax.   

I also called Leatherwood and asked what the zero parallax range was in their scopes, especially the short 18" 6X version.  They did not know.  So I'm following up with an email hoping they will evenually respond with a better answer.

I know some of you guys are thinking, "why doesn't this guy give it up and just buy an MVA"?  The answer is I just can't justify spending $950 - $1000 for a scope at this time.   

Stay tuned,
Wayne

IP Logged

sluggunner
Ex Member

Reply #13 - Sep 7th, 2008 at 8:08am
Print Post  
Wayne,
I'm not sure you'll find my comments meaningful but maybe they will be of interest to you. My main insanity is muzzle loading slug rifles. I prefer traditional ones and either shoot originals or close replicas that I build myself. Lock, stock, barrel and full length scopes. I learned to build scopes from the few books that I've found and also from guys like George Mitchell and Larry Thompson. Mine are generally in the 12X-15X range. Parallax exists in all optical instruments but varies with the power, components used and how far from the scope the object being viewed is. Lower powered scopes have such an insignificant amount that it is ignored. That's the reason most hunting scopes do not have parallax adjustment. As the power increases so does the parallax. The longer focal length lenses also exhibit less. Even high power scopes have insignificant parallax beyond about 200 yards. Look at a Unertl for example and you'll find they only graduate the objective head adjustment to 200 yards and beyond that it's considered to be set for infinity. I've never owned or seen a Leatherwood but due to the relatively low power and the long focal length lenses I do not think parallax will be a problem for you.
                                                  Rich
« Last Edit: Sep 7th, 2008 at 8:53am by »  

IP Logged

texasmac
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #14 - Sep 7th, 2008 at 11:38am
Print Post  
Rich,

Coming from someone with your scope building experience, I certainly do appreciate and value your comments.  I have some optics training and experience, so I am educated on optics, but all of it was from technical training and research with lasers in support of the US Gov. backed laser fusion program.  Therefore, I understand most of the common optics terminology, but not necessarily the specifics concerning telescope or riflescope construction.  I have seriously considered educating myself on riflescope construction and making my own scope, but placed this on the backburner as I have too many irons in the fire already.  I am about ready to order the 18” 6X Leatherwood and your comments just reinforces my decision to do so.

I’m in the process of building a gunsmith/machinist workshop, so don’t be surprised if I contact you sometime in the future for some tips on scope construction.  By the way, my complements to you for your recent and excellent article titled “To Build A Full-Length Scope”, which was published in the Black Powder Cartridge News.  I saved it for future reference.  Thanks again.

Regards,
Wayne

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 
Send TopicPrint