Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2  Send TopicPrint
Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) CPA stevens primer problem (Read 8498 times)
Van
Senior Forum Member

CPA stevens primer problem
Jun 26th, 2008 at 7:14pm
Print Post  
My stevens 45-100 will not set off large rifle primer everytime, sometimes it go off and other times it takes two before it pops. 
This gun has been back to Paul 3 times in the last 4 months with this problem and they say "there's no problem see the primers that I sent back to you".  I guess that I'll have to change the primers to large pistol, I know they go off okay.  I have three firing pins that all mesure,look the same so I can't figure that is the problem.  When it does hit the primer the first time and it doesn't go off there is a very small hit on the rifle primer, but the second time it go off every time.   
With the 40-65 barrel on with pistol primers I have zero problems.

That is the great way to find out if you have a flinch,LOL

any ideas other than just go with the pistol primers?

van

IP Logged

38_Cal
Frequent Elocutionist

Re: CPA stevens primer problem
Reply #1 - Jun 26th, 2008 at 7:23pm
Print Post  
Sounds like your rifle primers are not being seated properly.  Clean the primer pockets and use a hand tool to "feel" the anvil seat against the inside of the primer pocket.  Too much force and you can crumble the priming compound, too high a primer and you spend your first hammer fall seating the primer!

David
Montezuma, IA

David Kaiser
Montezuma, IA

IP Logged

dick_norton
Senior Forum Member

Reply #2 - Jun 26th, 2008 at 8:24pm
Print Post  
You will find a set screw near the set triggers. Tighten that screw and you will increase the hammer impact. Worked for me.

dick

IP Logged

Van
Senior Forum Member

Reply #3 - Jun 26th, 2008 at 10:57pm
Print Post  
I'll try that set screw again.  And seat the primers fully and try again.
You know the pistol primers goes in a lot easer and maybe that is the reason with the rifle primers, I'll look at the primer pockets also.

thanks guys for the help

Van

IP Logged

leadball
Ex Member

Reply #4 - Jun 27th, 2008 at 6:34pm
Print Post  
Van;
        I've shot CPA Stevens for a few years--they will not reliability ignite large rifle primers--I suggest you use large pistol primers.   leadball

IP Logged

Van
Senior Forum Member

Reply #5 - Jun 27th, 2008 at 7:36pm
Print Post  
will do from now on, thanks a bunch

van

IP Logged

J.D.Steele
Ex Member

Reply #6 - Jun 28th, 2008 at 7:41am
Print Post  
Quote:
Van;
        I've shot CPA Stevens for a few years--they will not reliability ignite large rifle primers--I suggest you use large pistol primers.   leadball

I am saddened by your conclusions and somewhat surprised by your candor and seeming acceptance. This would appear to be a correctible fault; at any rate it is certainly some kind of fault, at least in my mind it is.
Good luck, Joe

IP Logged

bobnh
Participating Member

Reply #7 - Jun 28th, 2008 at 8:08am
Print Post  
I have a CPA in 32-40 and have no problems using Federal Large rifle primers (210M)

IP Logged

drc

Reply #8 - Jun 28th, 2008 at 9:37am
Print Post  
as I mentioned over on bpcr.net I use Fed 210M's and CCI BR-2's in our CPA's, a 45-100 a 45-70 and a 38-55 (all separate guns) we have not had any issues

on the other site where you also posted this question , I forgot to add, what brand of brass are you using and is it brass you bought yourself? have the primer pockets been deepened ? are you sure you that the primers are actually seating ?

I have a bunch of cpa rifles and seen a significant amount around the country and none of the folks I know are having any issues such as this

there seems to be another variable that is being overlooked, 

dc

IP Logged

SCHUETZEN
Ex Member

Reply #9 - Jun 28th, 2008 at 11:25am
Print Post  
I have been using Rem 9 1/2 Large Rifle primers for years with no problems at all. My CPA has the lighter speed lock hammer which one would think to be more condusive to misfires. I do not care for to heavy a hammer strike so I back off the hammer spring until it won't fire then tighten it back up until it will fire consistently. I do this by popping primers only not using loaded rounds. When set at this point there is still alot of hammer spring presure left that can be applied. 

I think your problem is related to not having enough hammer spring presure so I would try turning the hammer spring screw in further.

IP Logged

Van
Senior Forum Member

Reply #10 - Jun 29th, 2008 at 12:26pm
Print Post  
I plan on taking the 40 barrel off today and install the 100 and try popping primers only and adjusting the rear set screw until it works.
I have Starline brass if that makes any difference.
thanks again for your ideas.

van

IP Logged

boats
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #11 - Jun 29th, 2008 at 2:06pm
Print Post  
CPA furnishes two hammers.  The standard one has never failed to ignite primers in my  1993 vintage 38/55 CPA.  Even Federal Magnum primers. 

My  newer 32/40 CPA Schuetzen has the lighter lower speed lock hammer and won't set rifle primers off everytime.  The speed lock hammer is best used with Pistol primers, they work fine in my rifle.  An advantage for the speed lock is the hammer fall that works well for .22 rimfire is also the right one for the Center Fire barrel on that particular acton.  It's also easier to cock which pays off on long offhand strings

Boats

IP Logged

Van
Senior Forum Member

Reply #12 - Jun 29th, 2008 at 7:23pm
Print Post  
you know CPA installed a light weight hammer and that's when all the problems began.  thanks
van

IP Logged

38-55

Reply #13 - Jun 29th, 2008 at 8:02pm
Print Post  
Have three CPA rifles.  Two centerfire and one rimfire.  Four barrels between the centerfire ones.  I had to adjust the rimfire tension due to a light firing pin hit.  No troubles since that.  Have never had a problem with any of the centerfire rifles.  Use large rifle primers along with large pistol primers, also  use small rifle primers.

IP Logged

boats
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #14 - Jun 30th, 2008 at 6:12am
Print Post  
Now that I shoot pistol primers in the Schuetzen CPA with speed hammer would never go back to the hard magnums.  Magnum primers were the rage some years ago, most people thought they gave a more complete burn with Black powder,  Today the opinion generally is toward pistol primers in 32 and 38's  If you have a 40 or 45 perhaps the standard hammer is a better choice.

Boats

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 
Send TopicPrint