Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic Switching from BP to smokeless and back (Read 3923 times)
sharps54
Ex Member

Switching from BP to smokeless and back
Jul 13th, 2008 at 11:58am
Print Post  
While I sit here anxiously awaiting the delivery (sometime next week I hope) of my a new-to-me 1993 CPA .32-40  I have a question. I know when you go from smokeless powder to black powder in a rifle you need to clean out all the "modern" solvents and oils because they will gunk up badly with black powder. One of the selling points of the CPA is the ability to switch barrels. I also know the action in a single shot should contain the fouling pretty well and of course any black powder or smokeless fouling will remain in the barrel it is shot in. 

So here is the question. If I shoot a black powder cartridge and then swap the barrel for a smokeless I should be able to get away without any major "gunk" building up in the action, correct? I plan to use Ballistol to clean the breech block and receiver so I don't think it will be an issue but I figured I would ask. I could see using the same receiver for both rimfire and centerfire barrels at a match since I can't afford a second receiver and stock at this time.

Thanks for fielding my rookie question.

IP Logged

KAF
Ex Member

Re: Switching from BP to smokeless and back
Reply #1 - Jul 14th, 2008 at 6:41am
Print Post  
Jason,

I have shot BP in my 32 40 CPA , then switched to smokeless and just cleaned the barrel like I normally do, no problems, I cleaned the action when I got back from the match and had much of nothing in the action. Just made sure I did clean it.

My other CPA is used for Silly wttes and long range when I can, and have no problem at all with much fouling in the action, just best you check it out and see for yourself.

AS for ballistal..... I had been told it removes/damages the color of the color case.  Don't use it.

IP Logged

sharps54
Ex Member

Reply #2 - Jul 14th, 2008 at 7:19am
Print Post  
Quote:

AS for ballistal..... I had been told it removes/damages the color of the color case.  Don't use it.

I didn't know that! Shocked Thank you very much for the response. I figured that swapping black powder and smokeless powder barrels thoughout the day wouldn't be a problem but after the Ballistol tip I'm glad I asked.

IP Logged

tenx
Senior Forum Member

Reply #3 - Jul 14th, 2008 at 10:05pm
Print Post  
Jason,

What Keith said is good advice. Some members of our club regularly switch from smokeless to black and vice versa with just a normal cleaning before switching.

The main thing to do is to be sure the lube residue for either powder is removed as they tend to not be compatible with each other.

I like Ed's Red as a cleaner. Does a super job on both black and smokeless residue.

Some of our members do switch barrels but only for the reason they are switching from a CF to a RF, or one of the smaller caliber matches such as a .25 cal. one as vs the usual standard .32/40 set up for everything else.

PETE

IP Logged

boats
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #4 - Jul 15th, 2008 at 7:18am
Print Post  
No worries on switching black to smokeless powder.  The action does not get much residue and does not need to be cleaned at the range, except.  If you are breech seating and dump a load of powder in the action it will shut it right down.  Have done this with my CPA's a couple of times.  I always keep enought tools to strip and re-assemble in my shooting box.  This week I dropped an empty .22 case in the action and it locked things right up until I stripped it down and removed. Somehow the closing breechblock bent the case and jammed things up good.

My  black powder barrel has to be real clean shot to shot so cleaning it after shooting does not take much work.  That gunk clean up applies mostly to muzzle loaders shot a lot and cleaned seldom. Could tell some stories about one of my old friends that muzzle loader hunts once a year and only cleans the rifle night before.  Shooting like we do clean up is not a problem

On Balistol. Have read some reports about it.  I have used it 100% on my two CPA's one over 15 years old the other about 10 with no problem.  Speculating only the "case" you see on modern reproductions is not case at all but applied finish and can wear off, also not applied very well in some cases. 

Any solvent has it's vices and best used to clean then wiped clean and dry after.  In my actions I don't use much lube at all. Some grease on the heavy load surfaces small amount only. Triggers and firing pins none at all.  Outside I apply plain clear floor wax.  Other thing is Oil or lube will surely mess up the Pope rib on external adjustment scopes, sticky they don't return to battery properly and cause off shots. Clean and dry is best.

Boats

IP Logged

13Echo
Ex Member

Reply #5 - Jul 15th, 2008 at 10:08am
Print Post  
Routine cleaning between powder types is all that is necessary if you are shooting lead bullets only.  I think copper fouling from jacketed bullets is another matter.  I've had a real bear getting leading out of a barrel if the lead bullets were fired over copper fouling.  I think the copper clings to a barrel tighter than lead and lead clings, possibly even alloys with the copper, to produce a really nasty form of fouling.  The lead also seems to protect the copper from bore solvents.  I won't do that again.

Jerry Liles

IP Logged

FITZ
Oldtimer

REGARDS

Reply #6 - Jul 15th, 2008 at 6:42pm
Print Post  
When I shoot Black, usually Duplex with 10% Smokless. When I am done I shoot a half a dozen straight smokless shots thru and this cleans the barrel very well. Have not had any problems with fouling issues. But I do use the same Lube (Pope Formulae) for both Smokess and Black Powder loads. I would make one note. I have found that with Black Powder as the Bore size goes down (Smaller) the fouling issue gets bigger. For 32-40 I have found that wiping between shots is necessary between shots for best accuracy. Duplex loading helps but wiping works better. After having shot Black and blowing out the fowling with my smokeless loads I then clean normally with Hopes #9 and leave the Bore swimming in #9. When I get home I park the Rifle for two day's and then clean again with Hoppes. Have not hurt a Barrel using this procedure in nearly 40 years. HTH, Regards, FITZ. Smiley

FITZ

IP Logged

sharps54
Ex Member

Reply #7 - Jul 16th, 2008 at 6:55pm
Print Post  
I want to thank everyone for their responses, some great advice! I think I should have been a bit clearer, I know Boats got what I was trying to say but he has had the misfortune of dealing with me in person so he had an advantage over the rest of you!  Grin

Anyhow I was really interested in any problems that might occur with the receiver when I switch from a black powder barrel to a smokeless barrel without cleaning the receiver first. Wow, I wish I had been able to type that in the first post, that's a lot clearer. Embarrassed  Oh well, I still learned a bunch and if I ever do want to try smokeless and black loads from the same barrel during a trip to the range I'll be prepared! 

I guess if I do like Fitz and settle on one cleaning solution for black and smokeless I won't have to worry. One reason I ask is that the 200 yard range I may end up using is black powder only so I may fall on that for my main centerfire propellant.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint