Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) Coil vs flat mainsprings on 'walls (Read 6988 times)
Green_Frog
Frequent Elocutionist

"It ain't easy being green"
ASSRA Life #281

Coil vs flat mainsprings on 'walls
Jun 23rd, 2008 at 11:21pm
Print Post  
Mr. HST, 

On another thread (which will remain nameless to avoid cursing) you mention specifically a coil spring high-wall to build a high accuracy rifle on.  Is there some reason you are choosing the coil over the flat spring?  I had always heard that the flat springs gave a better trigger, better action on the lever, etc with fewer parts, and were easier to work on. (This last is important as they do occasionally break mainsprings.)  Is there empirical proof in favor of the coil spring other than durability and would you share?  I ask this because I am getting ready to finalize my BPCS rifle and have it temporarily on a coil spring action but was planning on using a flat spring for the final iteration.   

Respectfully,
the Azure Amphibian

IP Logged

hst
Oldtimer

Re: Coil vs flat mainsprings on 'walls
Reply #1 - Jun 24th, 2008 at 1:29pm
Print Post  
Mr. Frog:

Those were musings on the theoretical ultimate accuracy potential of the silhouette legal actions, based on the solidity of the breeching and the nature and mass of the lockwork. The advantage of the coil spring Winchester action is in the reduced moving mass of the firing mechanism. Both the spring and the hammer are of considerably lower mass. If you really want to get out there splitting hairs, the flat spring mounted to the barrel and the subsequent change in torque as the spring relaxes is ungood as well.

As for the trigger quality, I cannot see why there would be any difference between the two designs. The sear geometry remains the same and the sear pressure at least very similar. That theory could possibly stem from the fact that the coil spring models were later and were made with "safer" triggers. Lawyers are not a recent invention.

I will grant that the lever action of the flat spring action has a little magic to it. Howsomever, it is possible to approximate the feel in a coil spring action if one spends a bit of quality time with the plunger and lump on the lever. Both tend to wear.

There is no question that the flat spring is easier to assemble, but the coil spring model does come apart real well...

How this translates into the real world is another matter. If I were building a pure bench rifle on a Winchester action to chase the magical 250, it would be on a coil spring action.  In a silhouette rifle, any advantage the coil spring may have will be lost in the smoke. My silhouette rifle is built on a flat spring action.

Glenn Fewless

IP Logged

Schuetzendave
Frequent Elocutionist

Retired Ex-Shooter

Reply #2 - Jun 24th, 2008 at 3:59pm
Print Post  
And with the removal of a flat spring with a coil spring you are able to mount a hanger and free float the barrel for even further improvements to a very fine highwall action.

IP Logged

J.D.Steele
Ex Member

Reply #3 - Jun 24th, 2008 at 4:39pm
Print Post  
I run coil spring hammers in flat spring frames all the time, with properly-timed links. If the link and linkage is timed correctly then the lever doesn't droop and the little plunger is unnecessary. 'If' is the operative word.
Regards, Joe

IP Logged

Quarter_Bore
Oldtimer

Reply #4 - Jun 24th, 2008 at 5:41pm
Print Post  
I have found both styles to be good. The only weakness in both syles is that the mainspring breaks every now and then. The only problem is growing that third hand so I can repalce coil springs. Actually it is not that hard if you clamp the breech block in a bench vice.

IP Logged

Brent
Ex Member

Reply #5 - Jun 24th, 2008 at 6:43pm
Print Post  
Just to further muddy the waters, I'm becoming very partial to my flat AND coil spring action.  The .22 low wall uses both simultaneously for more of a good thing and all that.

Brent

IP Logged

38_Cal
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #6 - Jun 24th, 2008 at 7:00pm
Print Post  
Yeah, but you've got to lube the action with marinara sauce!   Grin

David
Montezuma, IA

David Kaiser
Montezuma, IA

IP Logged

hst
Oldtimer

Reply #7 - Jun 24th, 2008 at 7:26pm
Print Post  
Hmmmm.... I can't for the life of me see why Alfredo sauce would not work as well. That is what I usually use.

Glenn

IP Logged

Brent
Ex Member

Reply #8 - Jun 24th, 2008 at 8:55pm
Print Post  
Frarnkly, the low viscosity of Scottish Ales is just idea for action lubing.  It also doubles as an emergency rehydration drink of sorts.   Wink

IP Logged

gunsbrad
Ex Member

Reply #9 - Jun 24th, 2008 at 9:39pm
Print Post  
Brent

That seems right to me.  It always seems to lubricate the conversation.

Brad

IP Logged

Green_Frog
Frequent Elocutionist

"It ain't easy being green"
ASSRA Life #281

Reply #10 - Jun 24th, 2008 at 10:46pm
Print Post  
OK HST and the rest of you guys, thanks for all the input.  I guess the only thing for me to do now is decide whether I want to permanently "sacrifice" the high-wall musket that was the temporary donor for development of the BPCS rifle and try to find/modify a suitable lever for a BPCS DST, or whether I should continue with the flat-spring action that I have been bringing along since JDS traded it to me several years ago in a moment of weakness.  All I have to do to make that work is put the dovetail on the bottom of my new Green Mtn bbl for the mainspring base, while with the coil spring I have to deal with the aforementioned lever.  Decisions, decisions!   Roll Eyes

Any-whooo, thanks again for all the input.
Green Frog

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint