Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) Jacked bullets in Stevens 44 1/2 (Read 5557 times)
slumlord44
Frequent Elocutionist

Jacked bullets in Stevens 44 1/2
May 6th, 2008 at 12:53am
Print Post  
Got a deal on a quanity of .32-40 jacked soft point ammo. I the boxes I do not need listed in the for sale section.I understand that lead bullets are easier on these old barrels but will these cause a problem with excessive wear in this gun?

IP Logged

QuestionableMaynard8130
Frequent Elocutionist

Re: Jacked bullets in Stevens 44 1/2
Reply #1 - May 6th, 2008 at 8:46am
Print Post  
let me preface this by making it clear that this is strictly my own opinion, other more knowledgable and more experienced member may have more valid ideas.

First of all, its your rifle. You CAN do anything you want with it, the question is "Should you?".

Its kind of an open question with a whole lot of "depends".
what gun is it?   exactly what is the barrel?  how hot will you load it? how much will you shoot it that way?

If it is a rebarrel with a relatively modern barrel and you keep your loads reasonable The action itself---assuming it is in safe condition,should hold it.    After all CPA makes/made a heat treated version of the 44 1/2 usable with modern magnum hunting cartridges as I recall.

now if it is a good original barrel it might be a different story--depending.

AND if the gun is a really nice original--one of the more select models---custom gunsmith work etc etc ----why risk ANY wear and tear.   If some of the more traditionalists thought you were shooting modern powder loads and jacketed bullets in a vintage Pope/Schoyen/Zischang they'd be at your gates with torches and pitchforks in a NewYork minute.    LOL     Now if it was a Niedner rebarrel it might be slightly different----like I said---lots of things to be considered.

The bullets are for hunting and the 32-40 is not considered to be one of the great hunting rounds.  Nowdays must hunters would consider it minimal to dubious for whitetail deer----not that it won't kill one if hit properly.

I'm sure you realize by now that ASSRA permits ONLY plain-based lead bullets in their matches so they would not be usable for that and accurate loads developed with them might be interesting--information-wise, but would not be very helpful to most of the 34-40 shooters here.
Again JMHO!
It'll be interesting to hear what others might say.

sacred cows make the best burger

IP Logged

marlinguy
Ex Member

Ballards may be weaker,
but they sure are neater!

Reply #2 - May 6th, 2008 at 6:51pm
Print Post  
Barrel metallurgy is always softer on these earlier guns. Of course it's made during the smokeless powder era, but not exclusively for jacketed bullets, as the much later high power cartridge guns were.
Jacketed bullets can wear these softer steel barrels out, and I never use them in any collectable gun. I'd strongly agree with DWS that it's your decison, but they sure aren't making any more of them!

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

IP Logged

waterman
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #3 - May 6th, 2008 at 11:08pm
Print Post  
One of the old gun catalogs reproduced by Satterlee (in 14 Old Gun catalogs) was the 1902 Stevens catalog.  In 1902, Stevens was advertising both their high-end Pope match barrels and barrels especially made for smokeless powder & jacketed bullets.  The smokeless barrels were chambered for .30-30, .30-40 US, .32 Winchester Special, .32-40 or .38-55.  The customer was to furnish his action and Stevens would fit the barrel, either the fancy Pope barrel or a barrel made for smokeless powder and jacketed bullets.  When the 44 1/2 came around a year or two later, it seems reasonable to me that one option the customer had was to order a barrel made of steel better suited for smokeless powder & jacketed bullets.  We know that Stevens-Pope barrels were fitted to other than Stevens Ideal actions by J Stevens A&T Co, both with and without HP's blessing.  Several of us have seen such rifles.  The Pope barrels went for $40 and up.  The smokeless barrels went for $20 each, installed & chambered by Stevens.  There were at least 2 different types of barrels made by Stevens.  So I would suggest Slumlord44 takes a closer look at the 44 1/2's barrel markings.

IF the barrel in question is one of those made for smokeless powder, today's bullets & smokeless powder and primers are a lot less damaging than their counterparts of a century ago.  A hundred years ago, how many shots could one expect to get from a "smokeless steel" barrel?  I have read that Winchester barrels made for the 6mm Lee Navy cartridge were well on the way to being worn out after 800 rounds.  Townsend Whelen reported that the original 1903 Springfields with the first .30-03 cartridges were also worn out & too inaccurate for service use after 800 rounds.  But those were the high-intensity cartridges of the day.  The .32-40 was less erosive, but how much less is less?  If barrel life was 1,000 rounds, each shot will degrade the barrel by 0.1 %.  Maybe modern powder & bullets decrease that rate of wear, but is it worth it?  If that is what is happening, any bargain realized from jacketed bullets is more than offset by a decrease in the value of a vintage 44 1/2.

IP Logged

slumlord44
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #4 - May 6th, 2008 at 11:17pm
Print Post  
It is not a Pope barrel. Wish it was. It is your basic standard 44 1/2 Stevens. Nothing fancy. I will only be shooting it occasionaly. Have too many to shoot any one a lot. This is standard factory ammo. Is pulling the bullets and replacing them with the same weight lead bullets?

IP Logged

mdeland
Ex Member

Reply #5 - May 7th, 2008 at 2:34am
Print Post  
  The 44 1/2 is a good deal stronger than the 44. I think the 32-40 is to much cartridge for the 44 action in smokeless persuasion. One mans oppinion. MD

IP Logged

QuestionableMaynard8130
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #6 - May 7th, 2008 at 5:30pm
Print Post  
I've wondered about that barrel wear in the early part of this century.   Perhaps it was a combination of a couple things,  use of unlubricated jacketed bullets which gave no protecticve coating to the bore and the corrosive primers.  My thinking is that perhaps the combination of heat, grit and the lack of any lube may have eroded those bores at an accellerated rate----more than just the use of jacketed bullets alone.

If that is the case the use of modern jacketed bullets, powders, and primers, ( in moderate use of course,) might be less likely to damage them.

sacred cows make the best burger

IP Logged

J.D.Steele
Ex Member

Reply #7 - May 7th, 2008 at 7:22pm
Print Post  
QuestionableMaynard8130 wrote on May 7th, 2008 at 5:30pm:
I've wondered about that barrel wear in the early part of this century.   Perhaps it was a combination of a couple things, .

IMO causes were corrosive primers, priming compound containing glass, erosive powder, cupro-nickle and other fouling-prone jacket material (unremoved jacket fouling accelerating rust underneath) and the mistaken idea that smokeless powder meant that cleaning could be delayed and so of course in many cases it wasn't done at all. Also, many of the fouling removers of the day, especially US military, contained ammonia and would etch out a barrel overnight under the wrong conditions.

It's true that the old barrels are softer but they're still steel. I hardly think a few hundred rounds of jackets will noticeably wear any steel barrel that gets cleaned properly. But that's just JMO and I, too, would not use jackets in a really rare or exceptionally valuable rifle barrel.
Good luck, Joe

IP Logged

slumlord44
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #8 - May 7th, 2008 at 7:54pm
Print Post  
Thanks for the input guys. My plan is to shoot 4 or 5 boxes of 20 and then have my reloading buddy load them with lead bullets and mild smokeless loads. I think proper cleaning is always critical.

IP Logged

FITZ
Oldtimer

REGARDS

Reply #9 - May 7th, 2008 at 8:29pm
Print Post  
Slumlord. In my opinion with no shouting or insult intended you are taking a chance that cannot be undone. The 44 1/2 was introduced in the time when the industry was going from some very soft and mild steel barrels to tougher alloy steels. No way that I know of to determine when your Rifle was built. Does not take a lot of time or effort to pull Bullets with an inertia puller and resize and reload with lead. There just are not enough of these fine old rifles to go around.
Just my opinion. Regards, FITZ Smiley

FITZ

IP Logged

davedecker
Participating Member

Reply #10 - Jun 29th, 2008 at 11:39am
Print Post  
FITZ wrote on May 7th, 2008 at 8:29pm:
Slumlord. In my opinion with no shouting or insult intended you are taking a chance that cannot be undone. The 44 1/2 was introduced in the time when the industry was going from some very soft and mild steel barrels to tougher alloy steels. No way that I know of to determine when your Rifle was built. Does not take a lot of time or effort to pull Bullets with an inertia puller and resize and reload with lead. There just are not enough of these fine old rifles to go around.
Just my opinion. Regards, FITZ Smiley

I agree. Pull the jacketed bullets and replace with cast lead or buy a modern rifle that is intended for jacketed bullets.  We don't really own these things, we are just caretakers for the next generation. IMO

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint