Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) Australian Martini Cadet (Read 8747 times)
slumlord44
Frequent Elocutionist

Australian Martini Cadet
Jun 15th, 2008 at 12:40am
Print Post  
Looked at one today at gun show in St. Louis Mo. Was originaly .310 but was stamped .32W.S. on the barrel. I am assuming it has been rechambered, but what is .32 W.S.? The gun looked prety decent with a good bore. The dealer wanted $450 and would probably have taken a little less. Will probably see it at the nexe show. Opinions?

IP Logged

Bent_Ramrod
Frequent Elocutionist

Re: Australian Martini Cadet
Reply #1 - Jun 15th, 2008 at 1:37am
Print Post  
It's been rechambered to the .32 Winchester Special, to take advantage of the .321-.323 bore of the original Cadet cartridge.  The .32 Special is about the same power level as the .30-30.  Kind of a large cartridge for so small a rifle, but I understand they're safe in this caliber.

$450 is about what is asked for most examples of this type rifle unless they've been restocked in exotic wood, rebarreled, scoped, etc,  Unless you have to have a featherweight single shot .32 Special, you might do well to keep your money and buy an unaltered original for the same price.

IP Logged

Ex Member

Reply #2 - Jun 15th, 2008 at 10:08am
Print Post  
Bent Ramrod is right about the ID, I think these conversions may have been done by a gunsmith at Klein's in Chicago in the 1960's.  I am less certain it was a good idea.  The suitable cartridges for small Martini's have been discussed here and on the predecessor Shooters Talk board at length.  The issue is not the strength of the small Martini, but rather it's size.  In this case the barrel shank is getting pretty thin and the breech block may also have been modified to allow loading the longer cartridge.  It is also my understanding that the original barrel dimensions on .310 Cadets varied, so if is on the large end ok, but...

In other words: use some caution here, this is a little edgy.  It also seems like a lot of money for a hacked up small Martini, but I guess dollars are like worthless drachma these days.

IP Logged

38_Cal
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #3 - Jun 15th, 2008 at 10:51am
Print Post  
They are a delight to carry hunting, but with the light weight, the recoil can be...fierce!  Also, getting a load to shoot is a bit of a problem, since the twist is designed for about a 120 gr. bullet.   

David
Montezuma, IA

David Kaiser
Montezuma, IA

IP Logged

MartiniBelgian
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #4 - Jun 15th, 2008 at 11:17am
Print Post  
Also, the original round is a dandy, a very nice one for the reloader - call it a heeled 32-20.  And an non-converted rifle is not only quite accurate, but also collectible, and will only gain valeu - unlike the conversions.

IP Logged

J.D.Steele
Ex Member

Reply #5 - Jun 15th, 2008 at 1:30pm
Print Post  
FWIW, the later (1910?) models have a very nice fully-windage-adjustable open rear sight with a dandy little bright centerline below the notch, just right for these aging eyes. I've used this sight on custom 'meat' rifles with great success.
Good luck, Joe

IP Logged

slumlord44
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #6 - Jun 15th, 2008 at 5:35pm
Print Post  
Thanks for the input guys. Think I will pass on this one. It is a neat little rifle. I have a Martini .22 target rifle that I like but my main interest is in the Stevens single shots. Will keep looking for something that catches my fancy. Heading for Kansas City July 26. Should find something there to my liking.

IP Logged

Bad_Ass_Wallace

Reply #7 - Jun 27th, 2008 at 10:07am
Print Post  
Original Cadets do hold their value very well. A  rebuilt sporter can be a very attractive small gamerifle though.
This one as a left handed in 25/35

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

Hold still varmint; while I plugs yer!

IP Logged

waterman
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #8 - Jun 27th, 2008 at 10:28am
Print Post  
B_A_W,

NICE rifle!  Please tell us more about the rear sight and how it is mounted.  TIA,

waterman

IP Logged

Schuetzendave
Frequent Elocutionist

Retired Ex-Shooter

Reply #9 - Jun 27th, 2008 at 3:42pm
Print Post  
I see this rifle has a Parker Hale No. 8 on it. They screw directly into the factory threads in the back of the receiver. These rifles also came with the Parker Hale No. 7A as well (instead of the No. 8 tang sight).

I have found I could sight in at 100 yards with a No. 7A sight on my Cadet No. 4 modified to Winchester 32 Special; however the closest I could sight with a No. 8 was only 200 yards.

Both a 8 or 7A screws into the factory screw holes at the back of the receiver.

IP Logged

Fred Boulton
Oldtimer

Reply #10 - Jun 27th, 2008 at 5:37pm
Print Post  
The cadet rifle was not provided with tapped holes by the factory unless the no8 sight was ordered with it. The no8 sight was a BSA product, not a Parker Hale and was made in a variety of different stem lengths so that it could be fitted to other rifles than the small Martini. I have one for my large frame Martini Henry but it is only usable in the standing position--prone, it hits you just above the eye.
Original .310 cadet rifles are popular in historical gallery rifle shoots here in the UK. I have fitted half a dozen for fellow club members over the last 10 years or so and have always had to drill and tap the holes.
Fred

IP Logged

Bad_Ass_Wallace

Reply #11 - Jun 28th, 2008 at 9:03am
Print Post  
waterman wrote on Jun 27th, 2008 at 10:28am:
B_A_W,

NICE rifle!  Please tell us more about the rear sight and how it is mounted.  TIA,

waterman

The rifle started out as a smallbore 22RF with a BSA rear sight. This one I think is a No 9 long stem with built in windage adjustment, then there was a long stem with no windage (I've mounted on a Win low wall 32/20) and I have another with a short stem and windage on a BSA Model 12 rimfire.

Two holes are tapped directly into the rear stock mortise housing.

Hold still varmint; while I plugs yer!

IP Logged

Ex Member

Reply #12 - Jun 29th, 2008 at 8:00am
Print Post  
Another excellant cartridge for a conversion to a hunting caliber is the 7-30 Waters which ia a modified 30-30 case necked to 7mm.  Very accurate, very effective for up to white tail sized animals and can be loaded with lighter bullets for varmint hunting to about 175 yds.  A new barrel and your pretty much done.  I have seen a real fancy example of this conversion(fancy wood, engraving,etc) and the caribu head from the animal that was taken with this cartridge.  Recoil is moderate compared with the 32 WS.

IP Logged

EdBu

Reply #13 - Jun 29th, 2008 at 4:51pm
Print Post  
B_A_W;  Please, some more information about your LH .25-35!  Did you do the woodwork?  It is quite beautiful!  My .25-35 still has a semi-military stock, and is awaiting wood and funding. Your rifle's forend looks a lot like the pattern that Dominick Pisano (SanAntonio, TX) uses.

Edbu

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint