Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) Uberti low wall .22 and MVA (Read 6181 times)
Rusty4065
Ex Member

Uberti low wall .22 and MVA
Jun 11th, 2008 at 7:40pm
Print Post  
Mounted MVA soule on my new Uberti .22lr. Front screw was a little tight and long.I probably put more pressure on it than I should have.It snugged down OK and lighten trigger pull a bunch. Whatever I did, lighten pull from 8 pounds to around 2.Did I break something or what. Gun shoots good,ran about 100 rounds through it and trigger pull is great now.

IP Logged

Quarter_Bore
Oldtimer

Re: Uberti low wall .22 and MVA
Reply #1 - Jun 11th, 2008 at 7:52pm
Print Post  
If the foreward tang sight screw is long enough it bears on the sear and decreases the hammer/sear engagement. At least this is what I have observed on original Hiwalls.

IP Logged

thop
Senior Forum Member

Reply #2 - Jun 11th, 2008 at 8:43pm
Print Post  
That's interesting.  Can you basically make the trigger on an original highwall adjustable by using a longer than normal screw in the front tang sight screw hole?  I wonder if the adjustments would be repeatable or would it be a hit and miss proposition?  Sounds like a cheap way to address the heavy trigger pull on my highwall .22.  Terry

thop

IP Logged

fineredmist
Ex Member

Reply #3 - Jun 12th, 2008 at 9:05am
Print Post  
That is exactly what happened, I have 2 Uberti Highwalls and experienced what you did. It really upset me as I paid a gunsmith good money to lighten the trigger on my first gun and then did it myself accidently.

IP Logged

waterman
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #4 - Jun 12th, 2008 at 10:58am
Print Post  
How much longer should the screw be?  If this happens with both the original and the Uberti, there must be some length that is safe.  I would assume that using a screw that is too long will result in an unsafe condition or a rifle that cannot be cocked.

IP Logged

PowderFlask2
Ex Member

Reply #5 - Jun 12th, 2008 at 5:43pm
Print Post  
Take off the stock and you can plainly see what is going on........
The screw and spring etc. will be visible and you can do some measuring and then cut the screw off to keep it from interfering with the spring/sear.

Gary

IP Logged

Rusty4065
Ex Member

Reply #6 - Jun 12th, 2008 at 6:45pm
Print Post  
PowderFlask2,you may not understand.The trigger is SO nice now,I really don't want to mess with it. I just wanted to know if I have done something to harm the gun or create an unsafe condition. I shot 100 rounds afterward,and it shot great with no problems. I am a AAA silhouette shooter,Tx.CHL instructor,certified NRA instructor,X-USAF small arms instuctor,but, I aint no gunsmith and stumbled on this trigger deal by pure accident.

IP Logged

marlinguy
Ex Member

Ballards may be weaker,
but they sure are neater!

Reply #7 - Jun 12th, 2008 at 9:09pm
Print Post  
Yes, this works with originals, and repros. I found the same thing with my original Low Wall when I replaced a buggered up front screw on the tang sight. First one was too long, but I filed it until it gave a perfect trigger pull when the sight was tight.
As to whether you made your gun unsafe; that depends on the trigger pull/weight. Mine is still crisp, and clean at just under 3#.

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

IP Logged

Joe_S
Oldtimer

Reply #8 - Jun 16th, 2008 at 10:50pm
Print Post  
I have been thinking about buying a Uberti .22, how does your shoot? Thanks! Joe S

IP Logged

PowderFlask2
Ex Member

Reply #9 - Jun 17th, 2008 at 7:18am
Print Post  
At the St Louis Regional BPCRS matches Jeff Conover showed up with a Uberti Low wall, 22RF and double set triggers (The first double set triggers on a Uberti I've seen)

I wish they would have copied the lines of the Winchester a little better but at 200 yards from a rest it was shooting very well. We were shooting at regular BPCR chickens for fun and he was hitting it every time.

Thats not a scientific study of its accuracy potential, but the guys plinking with the original Winchesters, CPA's and Ballards were impressed. And for about $900.00 one may follow me home some day. 

On another note, Jeff said that he ordered that rifle from Cimmaron last September and waited about nine months for it, the long delay may be because it was one of the first and regular production may be quicker....we will see.

Gary

IP Logged

Rusty4065
Ex Member

Reply #10 - Jun 19th, 2008 at 9:30am
Print Post  
I do not think that it quicker now.They are hard to get and Uberti is not sending very many into the country. Call Buffalo Arms for details.My LW with single trigger shoots great. Off sandbags,I was shooting a group about the size of a half dollar with most in an area the size of a quarter.This was in a 20MPH Texas wind. I also could hold on the chickens at 200 meters with no problem.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint