Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2]  Send TopicPrint
Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) Sharps or C.Sharps or Pedersoli or ??????? (Read 13226 times)
Brent
Ex Member

Re: Sharps or C.Sharps or Pedersoli or ???????
Reply #15 - May 5th, 2008 at 8:23pm
Print Post  
Marlinguy, maybe there are a few pros that would do a rust blue for that money but not many.  And none will fix those flats for that money.  I have a Pedersoli barrel in my safe right now that I'd fix if it wasn't such a big problem.  And then there is the wood - it's fit would not be improved.

Brent

IP Logged

J.D.Steele
Ex Member

Reply #16 - May 6th, 2008 at 9:14am
Print Post  
The polishing if done by the owner would probably take about 2-3 hours and remove maybe 0.005" to 0.010" of the barrel metal. The barrel would then be ready for bluing with only a prior degreasing, and the gunsmith would have very little work left to do. Mainly removing and reinstalling the barrel.

The Pedersoli poor excuse for a barrel polish IMO is really the only drawback to their product that would give me pause before purchase. Their wood-to-metal fit isn't quite perfect but then again neither is 
Shilohs. My Shiloh actually had a small chip out of the front of the buttstock where it had been fit entirely too tightly, so I wasn't really overly impressed with it either. Like the madam said to the Bishop, "You pays your money and you takes your choice!"

My own ranking would be Shiloh, then Pedersoli, then C.Sharps.
Regards, Joe

IP Logged

Brent
Ex Member

Reply #17 - May 6th, 2008 at 9:45am
Print Post  
Joe, the Pedersoli barrels you have must be a lot better than the ones I have.  I think a lot more than twice that much would need to be removed to get the octagons flat, and taken off of both sides, that begins to look like real work (and money). And the forearm would fit even worse.

What do you think of that perch-belly forearm anyway?   

I'd go with Shiloh or C. Sharps first.  Probably C. Sharps (I own a Shiloh).

IP Logged

J.D.Steele
Ex Member

Reply #18 - May 6th, 2008 at 4:35pm
Print Post  
Some of the originals I've seen have had a similar perchbelly but it may have been worn into that shape over time. The original shape underwhelms me anyway, I personally would restock one if I kept it. And as for those 'collars' on some Sharps barrels, well, all I can say is that the first time I saw one I figured it musta been some kinda massive FUBAR and I haven't changed my opinion. And you gotta admit that at least Pedersoli gives you enough forearm material to shape into whatever you want!

For a truly elegant and well-shaped sidehammer Sharps, please look in Steve Hughes' Custom Rifles in Black and White at the '77 Sharps done by Ed Webber. There are several '77s in the book but all the others have rather awkwardly-shaped wrists and are generally not quite as aesthetically pleasing to the eye. They're plenty fancy with lots of gleam and glitter but Webber's is far more pleasingly shaped and sculpted IMO.

But, like Boats said, stockmaking is more art than science anyway, and art is extremely subjective. One man's canoe paddle is another man's pride & joy. Or as a car dealer of my acquaintance is fond of saying, "There's a donkey (or something like it that starts with an a and ends in an s) for every car seat!"
Keep the shiny side up, Joe

IP Logged

marlinguy
Ex Member

Ballards may be weaker,
but they sure are neater!

Reply #19 - May 6th, 2008 at 6:47pm
Print Post  
Brent,
The fella I use is (IMHO) one of the finest refinishers around. The last barrel I took to him for rust bluing cost me $65. He told me then that he'd hot blue it for $30. Of course I always have my barrels as good as possible when he gets them. The last one was "too good" when I handed it to him, and he said he'd have to break the finish with a Scotchbrite pad before the rust bluing would take.-Vall

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

IP Logged

Brent
Ex Member

Reply #20 - May 6th, 2008 at 8:26pm
Print Post  
Vall, you got a good deal going.  I hear prices that are always in three figures.  Meanwhile figure quite some time flatfiling a Pedersoli barrel to get it close to right.  The price won't be $65 then for sure.

IP Logged

BillOregon

Reply #21 - May 10th, 2008 at 11:25am
Print Post  
Tombstone: I'm funny about rifles that I don't bond with, and I have had two Pedersolis, two Shilohs and one C.Sharps. The Pedersolis were perfectly good rifles -- both were the "lower end" silhouette models from Dixie -- and shot just fine. Pedersoli makes an excellent barrel. The first Shiloh was a Farmingdale .45-70 such as Brent is very fond of. I shot it a bit, then sold it. The C. Sharps I finally received after nearly a year of promises made and not kept, and I was so disgusted by the buying experience I sold it without shooting it. I waited nearly two years for the last Shiloh, an Early Hartford in .50-70. I wanted a rifle as close as possible to what would have been found in the Texas Panhandle in 1874. It was a very nicely made rifle. For some reason it left me cold and I traded it off. I don't think any rifle is worth a two-year wait, but that's just me. I repeat, THAT'S JUST ME.
I am just more of a rolling block and trapdoor guy, I guess. But if I ever get another hair for a Sharps, I'll hunt up a plain vanilla Pedersoli and not worry about getting a scratch on it.

IP Logged

Richardwv
Ex Member

Reply #22 - May 10th, 2008 at 12:18pm
Print Post  
I spent a fair amount of time shopping for a Sharps before making a decision, handling and shooting where possible everything from originals to all the major current production models.  I guess it all depends what one wants to do with a rifle as to which one to buy.  Now I like authenticity and pretty wood as much as the next guy, but a very good quality factory fit and finish of less than the finest materials is more than acceptable.  Pretty wood makes the heart grow fonder, but doesn’t do anything for groups.

For price, quality, fit/finish and the availability of what I wanted (50-90 for long range) the Pendersoli 1874 Sharps Long Range Rifle is the best rifle.  A joy to own and shoot.  My only complaint with it is that it came with a very tight chamber, great for accuracy, but a tad testy with Starline brass without being trimmed just a few thousands of an inch to absolute minimum length (my experience with Starline is that most of their rifle brass is shipped a little long).  I still plan on having an original clunker action I own rebuilt to a quality rifle, but doubt that it will be any better than a Pendersoli and I know with the cost of custom work it won’t be any less expensive.

IP Logged

tbird1960
Senior Forum Member

He shoulda armed himself.

Reply #23 - May 10th, 2008 at 1:37pm
Print Post  
This will probably excite a few people but if you are going to shoot black powder I personally think the CPA 44 1/2 is a much better rifle. Falling blocks tend to have problems with black powder that the Stevens does not. When things get a little dirty the Stevens will seat the cartridge while the sharps will not. Just my opinion.

NRA Patron, Whittington Center Founders Club, Life Member TSRA, Life Member HGCA Distinguished Rifleman Badge #783

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 
Send TopicPrint