Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2  Send TopicPrint
Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) Sharps or C.Sharps or Pedersoli or ??????? (Read 13215 times)
Tombstone_Marshal
Ex Member

Sharps or C.Sharps or Pedersoli or ???????
May 4th, 2008 at 3:33pm
Print Post  
I have been wanting to get a Sharps since I was a kid. I like the Sharps Sporting model #1 or #3.  C.Sharps closest model is 200 bucks more and so are the Pedersois that I can find that look close to what I want. Problem is Sharps has a wait, C.Sharps has less wait  and so on. Why does Sharps cost less than the others. I just dont know which way to go. $$$$ is precious right now.

IP Logged

Tombstone_Marshal
Ex Member

Re: Sharps or C.Sharps or Pedersoli or ???????
Reply #1 - May 4th, 2008 at 5:18pm
Print Post  
Several reads, no replies. What wrong fellas? Dumb post or what?

IP Logged

tenx
Senior Forum Member

Reply #2 - May 4th, 2008 at 6:00pm
Print Post  
tombstone,

I've never owned a Shiloh Sharps but have both the C. Sharps, and Pedersoli. Never had a bit of trouble with either and converted the Pedersoli from a .45/70 to a .50/90.

If buying a Pedersoli I'd get one from Cimmaron. They seem to be a little better quality, altho the others aren't bad.

As mentioned Shiloh seems to be the top of the line, but you pay for it to. My experience with the others is that looks don't win matches and the CSA & Pedersoli are accurate enuf to win anything.

PETE

IP Logged

Tombstone_Marshal
Ex Member

Reply #3 - May 4th, 2008 at 6:08pm
Print Post  
Sorry, when I wrote Sharps I meant Shiloh. From looking around at many of the websites, the best (Shiloh Sharps) is the least expensive. I dont want all the fancy doodads on my rifle. I just want a standard Shiloh Sharps sporter #1 or #3. Something that my grandfather might have used to shoot Buffalo.  Maybe I should just suck it up and buy the best, after all it cost the least.

IP Logged

hst
Oldtimer

Reply #4 - May 4th, 2008 at 7:12pm
Print Post  
What chambering are you interested in?

Glenn

IP Logged

marlinguy
Ex Member

Ballards may be weaker,
but they sure are neater!

Reply #5 - May 4th, 2008 at 7:25pm
Print Post  
Not sure whre you got your info on pricing, but from what I've seen the Pedersoli in a #1 or #3 style sporting rifle is much cheaper than Shiloh or C Sharps.
Shiloh lists the std. Business Rifle at a starting price of $1657, (and that's the cheapest model) while a similar Pedersoli model is commonly sold for $1200-$1300. Even the upper end Pedersoli Billy Dixon, or Quigley is sold for just under $1500.

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

IP Logged

zrifleman
Ex Member

Re: Sharps or C.Sharps orsr Pedersoli or ???????
Reply #6 - May 5th, 2008 at 2:25am
Print Post  
Pedersoli may function well but they are not correct if you are particular. To thick, big and clunky. C Sharps is better. Spend your money right the first time---get a Shiloh Sharps. If you don't like the wait, search the web. I don't believe any one has ever wore one out.

IP Logged

irish66
Oldtimer

Reply #7 - May 5th, 2008 at 7:17am
Print Post  
well gents I am the one who was not happy with his shiloh. but they are good shooting rifles.
any time i post any thing about what i was not happy with I AM EITHER MADE OUT TO BE THE BAD GUY OR MY POST IS NOT LEFT ON THE SITE!
I have seen and handled many different sharps rifles, and I personally do not care for the wop guns as they are all metric
I have seen some c sharps and am giving serious thought to buying one.
i would not buy another shiloh due to first the wait and secondly i was not very happy with the sharp edges every where on the gun.
and where some person had tried to cover a 1 with a zero when the caliber was stamped on the barrel.
one must also remember that the base price will not include any sights worth a damn and a set of balwins or mva's will be in your future.
just my 10 cents worth.
irish

IP Logged

Bullshot

Reply #8 - May 5th, 2008 at 7:32am
Print Post  
For what its worth, I own a Pedersoli "Quigley' in 45-70. For me the fit and finish were as good ans any production gun. I shoot it, its not a safe queen. That being said it shoots really good. I only shoot smokeless and cast projectiles. I could own two of these for one Shiloh. Maybe not as pretty but just as functional. Just my two cents.

Bob  NRA Life Benefactor

IP Logged

Yellowhouse

Reply #9 - May 5th, 2008 at 9:31am
Print Post  
I'd go to a BPCR shoot and look the various guns over.  I really like my Shiloh but a word of advice regardless of the maker.  Get at least fancy great of wood....you'll never regret it.

IP Logged

sureshot
Senior Forum Member

Reply #10 - May 5th, 2008 at 6:36pm
Print Post  
Dixie Gun Works has a Pedersoli model for $1100.00 that looks like it would be a good, functional "Buffalo Rifle". A lot of bang for the buck. 

Steve

IP Logged

J.D.Steele
Ex Member

Reply #11 - May 5th, 2008 at 7:44pm
Print Post  
I've owned Shiloh and Pedersoli. Equal accuracy, Pedersoli has the superior action but Shiloh's barrel flat finish is better. For the money, especially, it would be hard to beat a Pedersoli if you spent an extra $100 or so to have a gunsmith reblue the barrel after you polished the flats back to flat & sharp-edged. Shiloh personnel and service are literally the best in the business IMO, most especially for a production outfit. Pedersoli parts are available but service is dealer-dependent to some degree. All Sharps sidehammers have a rep for breaking not only firing pins but also lever springs, so please be advised to expect repairs to some degree or other.
Good luck, Joe

IP Logged

Brent
Ex Member

Reply #12 - May 5th, 2008 at 7:54pm
Print Post  
Quote:
I've owned Shiloh and Pedersoli. Equal accuracy, Pedersoli has the superior action but Shiloh's barrel flat finish is better. For the money, especially, it would be hard to beat a Pedersoli if you spent an extra $100 or so to have a gunsmith reblue the barrel after you polished the flats back to flat & sharp-edged. Shiloh personnel and service are literally the best in the business IMO, most especially for a production outfit. Pedersoli parts are available but service is dealer-dependent to some degree. All Sharps sidehammers have a rep for breaking not only firing pins but also lever springs, so please be advised to expect repairs to some degree or other.
Good luck, Joe

I don't know if any one could get a Pedersoli barrel fixed for $100.  Heck I wouldn't do it for that, and I'm not even a pro.   

They both shoot well, the Shiloh looks a bit better, but still not quite right unless it is one of the old ones (Farmingdales).

Brent

IP Logged

marlinguy
Ex Member

Ballards may be weaker,
but they sure are neater!

Reply #13 - May 5th, 2008 at 8:13pm
Print Post  
I know of sevral gunsmiths that will rust blue a barrel for under $100 if it's already polished out, as Joe stated. Even more that will do  nice hot blue for half that price on a polished barrel ready to go.

IP Logged

J.D.Steele
Ex Member

Reply #14 - May 5th, 2008 at 8:20pm
Print Post  
Quote:
I don't know if any one could get a Pedersoli barrel fixed for $100.  Heck I wouldn't do it for that, and I'm not even a pro.  
Brent

Dipped, not fixed, read it again (VBG).

I'll let you slide this time but you gotta pay better attention, you teachers are supposed to be an inspiration to our youth and so forth. 'Course, we gotta remember that Froggie is a teacher too.......
Best regards, Joe

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 
Send TopicPrint