Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) GERMAN RIFLES (Read 6891 times)
vsig
Ex Member

GERMAN RIFLES
May 3rd, 2008 at 6:51pm
Print Post  
Who out there is shooting German rifles ?I have some questons. Have aBuchel meister that strings shots vertical Bad With a scope 'the hor. isabout 3 in. the vert. is 12in.This with a load that in my Aydt will stay in the 24-25 ring. the bore looks good  no loose or tight spots .Load is 11.6 grs .4227 162 gr. Mos bul. stop ring type .New queston  in Tom Rowes book page 202 1 st. vol. he makes ref. to a lens being attached to the stock'diopter' or gabel .What kind of lens?There are diopter s shown with adj. iris and the Gabel sight is the barl. sight .Is this lens a sight like we are using now?

IP Logged

Fred Boulton
Oldtimer

Re: GERMAN RIFLES
Reply #1 - May 4th, 2008 at 9:13am
Print Post  
I too have a Meister and use the stop ring bullet. You ain't putting enough powder in. I use 14.2 of H4227. I mostly use it at 100 yds and accuracy is superb.
Fred.

IP Logged

vsig
Ex Member

Reply #2 - May 13th, 2008 at 5:09pm
Print Post  
Thanks Fred'I went up with the powder chg. and it  helped.I'm getting the othertwo books by TomRowe so may'be Ican find out about the Lens on or in the sights.  Verl.

IP Logged

vsig
Ex Member

Reply #3 - May 23rd, 2008 at 9:02pm
Print Post  
Get the correct books' read them ' and the Q are answered.The Germans had and used  optical devices ' the same thing that we call a dioapter.The third vol. of Rowes book has several shown.

IP Logged

irish66
Oldtimer

Reply #4 - May 24th, 2008 at 7:51am
Print Post  
verl,
morning, try some 4759 in it. if this is the verl i think it is. talk to mike or charlie or even george.
cheers
irish
(akamartin)

IP Logged

Nick_Marino
Ex Member

Reply #5 - May 24th, 2008 at 2:26pm
Print Post  
Hello Vsig
      If you ever get tired of your Buechel I would like to try and buy it. Enough of that, I just got back from the range and had a bad time with vertical much as you described. I was shooting my Aydt with 14gr 4759 cci200 pri and a 168gr bullet cast 20-1. This load has shot for me in the past,but not today. Out with the chronograph and found that my sot to shot velocity was varring more than I remember in the past. Anytime the velocity would fall off by 50fps the bullet would print 1.5 inches low, these bullets all weighed to the tenth of a grain and I set the hardness with a tester before I ever start casting.
      So i guess my question is what causes the most change in velocity, bullet hardness,lack of any type over pwdr wad, lube or is that how 4759 burns?          Thanks Nick

IP Logged

FITZ
Oldtimer

REGARDS

Reply #6 - May 24th, 2008 at 9:18pm
Print Post  
Nick, you said in your last post you set the hardness to 20/1 using a hardness tester. My concern is, are you using 20/1 Lead/Tin alloy?
Or are you taking a batch of unknown quantities of Lead and Tin and manipulating soft and hard Material until you get an alloy that reads out a Hardness figure that corresponds to 20/1? There are Alloys that will show a desired hardness level and still not shoot well. Schuetzen Rifles have been known to be real fussy on this issue. Not all, but some. Any significant quantity of Antimony I have found to be detrimental to good accuracy. Regards, FITZ. Smiley

FITZ

IP Logged

FITZ
Oldtimer

REGARDS

Reply #7 - May 24th, 2008 at 9:20pm
Print Post  
Nick, sorry I got you and vsig mixed up in my response. It was intended for him. FITZ.

FITZ

IP Logged

Nick_Marino
Ex Member

Reply #8 - May 24th, 2008 at 10:56pm
Print Post  
                                                                                                                         Fitz                                                                                             
    Thanks for the tip. In this case I used pure lead and tin and just alloyed my mixture to get the right hardness number. I have used wheelweights in the past to do the same thing, but like you say accuracy seems to suffer a bit. I really don't understand whats going on in the pot to cause this but I agree that  there is something inconsistent there.                     Good Shooting      Nick

IP Logged

vsig
Ex Member

Reply #9 - May 29th, 2008 at 10:16pm
Print Post  
To Nick Marino.  The Buchel is'nt mine  Yet'' I just had it to ring out to see if it would shoot. This discussion about Stop ring moulds'if every thing is correct' when the bullet is seated in the case ' loaded into the chamber  and the lever closed  the nose of the bullet should justKiss the throat.Isent David Mos a chamber cast of my Aydt and this is just how my bullet works.This bullet wt.is 162.5 gr.

IP Logged

Nick_Marino
Ex Member

Reply #10 - May 30th, 2008 at 6:14pm
Print Post  
Vsig
     I have no knowledge about  the stop ring bullet. Do you get half minute groups at 100yds with your setup? That is the accuracy that I would like to achieve with my Aydt. You mentioned the throating on your Aydt, mine may be the original but who knows. Is your rifle a gain twist? Mine is and I am currently shooting 168gr. Pope style bullet this is slightly shorter bullet than an original Pope. I think this helps with the stabalizing in my rifle. While I have shot the rare small group .3xx most of my groups are about .8 to 1 inch and not too much in the way of consistency.        Good Shooting    Nick

IP Logged

vsig
Ex Member

Reply #11 - Jun 1st, 2008 at 8:54pm
Print Post  
to  N ick M.Inever shoot my Aydt at 100 yd. as all the matches are at 200.I use it for offhand only  but when I first got it Ishot it some from the bhench just to see what it would do.I think with a good wind reader  doing the shooting 'it would keep most everything in the 25 ring.It is the most plesant rifle to shoot offhand that i've ever shot.W hen you fire a shot and call it 'thats where 'it will be.Are you sure about the Gain twist?Ihave read all of Tom Rowes books and he never mentioned any of the brls. being gain.Maybe you should get in contact with him.AMgoing to Tulsa this wk.Hope we get some good shooting weather .Verl.

IP Logged

GUNSMITH
Ex Member

Reply #12 - Jun 23rd, 2008 at 11:34pm
Print Post  
A good source for info on German Rifles, is the German Gun Collectors Association. Google them.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint