Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2]  Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) C.Sharps 1885 (Read 15520 times)
dirtdog
Ex Member

Re: C.Sharps 1885
Reply #15 - Apr 29th, 2008 at 8:13am
Print Post  
I just ordered a C Sharps hiwall last week-the only options I got was the set trigger and the #1 heavy barrel. I had a Uberti hiwall that I sent back because it shot erractic and wouldnt group (45/70). I thought "its made in USA" so it has to be better than those spaghetti guns. I paid 2k and now Im wondering if it was worth it. As a newby I hope I didnt make a mistake. They said 30-60 days,a serial # assigned. Please tell me "everythings OK" 
Roger

IP Logged

swifty
Ex Member

Reply #16 - Apr 29th, 2008 at 8:52am
Print Post  
As I posted the original thread on this topic, I have learned a lot. What do you think of the Winchester Miroku ( US Repeating Firearms) clone. These are still around.
I found one on Guns America in 38-55 NIB.  
I have the same gun in 17 caliber rimfire and have had no problems in my limited use. 
My concerns are:
1. if I have problems ,will I be able to get parts or a valid warranty 
2.  Has this gun shot well in the 38-55 cast loads ?
3. Have you had any problems with this gun

IP Logged

Old-Win
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #17 - Apr 29th, 2008 at 9:01am
Print Post  
Dirtdog,
Some people repeat negative things about the owner of C. Sharps because of hearsay from a post made by a particular person years ago on another forum.  I have seen people repeat these remarks even though they have never dealt with John themselves or had those types of experiences with him.  That's one of the problems with internet chatter.  Rumors build about bad guns, people always shoot sub m.o.a., buy this twist, shoot that bullet, etc. and it's difficult for a new shooter to sort it all out. It amazes me how many people become expert by reading without doing.  Don't worry, you'll do fine with that rifle.  It's not a Ballard but you're not paying $4000 or more either.  
If you ever get to the Quigley, it will warm your heart to see the smiles that John puts on the faces of the Junior Shooters when they come up to accept their awards.  2 years ago,  he gave away an engraved rifle with a beaded leather case to a junior shooter and he does a terrific job of promoting the youth in our sports.  Bob Saathoff
« Last Edit: Apr 29th, 2008 at 9:40am by Old-Win »  

IP Logged

J.D.Steele
Ex Member

Reply #18 - Apr 29th, 2008 at 9:37am
Print Post  
Old-Win, the particular person you cite is probably my friend the Coydog, who first posted about his experiences with John on the old Shooters forum. The Coydog (Chuck) is a reputable and well-known, some would say notorious, BP shooter in the Master class, and the incident in question was witnessed by many other well-known BP shooters at the same national event.

There is no doubt whatever that the owner of C.Sharps deliberately misled his customers and sold products under false pretenses. The Coydog confronted him in public, along with several other interested shooters, and finally forced him to admit his dishonesty and refund the money. In public, in front of witnesses. No possibility of error, the offense was admitted by the perpetrator.
So I say 'caveat emptor', let the buyer beware, regards, Joe

IP Logged

Leo1885

Reply #19 - Apr 29th, 2008 at 11:03am
Print Post  
I have a C Sharps 1885 in 38-55 and I'm very happy with it. I also have a Uberti Lo Wall in 22RF that needed work to make functional.
For the money it's hard to beat the C. Sharps, IMO, and I'll never buy another Uberti.

IP Logged

QuestionableMaynard8130
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #20 - Apr 29th, 2008 at 3:39pm
Print Post  
Re:  miroku/browning 'walls:     The action is a bit overly complex and can be frustrating for the home tinkerer.  It is an adaptation of the Win '85 which was an adaptation of the original Browning single shot. I imagine that  parts availability should not be a problem now or in the future.

I don't know about the 38-55 version. Some of the the 40-65s(I think) and 45-70 and up were fitted with Badger barrels and they shoot very well indeed when fed and handled properly.   I had a miroku-barreled low-wall version in 22rf that shot very well though I have heard that others were very finicky about ammo selection.

Probably the biggest issue is the lawyer-designed trigger.  most are purely nasty out of the box.  there are a number of smiths who have made a reputations on tuning them.  Lee Shaver comes to mind.  there is also a simple "fix" that one of our members,  Dale53, came up with that can be found on the site.

I suspect that If you were to visit some of the BCPR specific sites you might learn a lot more about them.

sacred cows make the best burger

IP Logged

swifty
Ex Member

Reply #21 - Apr 29th, 2008 at 8:45pm
Print Post  
I have decided to wait and look at the Pedersoli 1885 when it becomes available.
Archer Yates

IP Logged

humboldt
Ex Member

Reply #22 - Apr 29th, 2008 at 10:32pm
Print Post  
A fellow that shoots in our local 200 to 600 yard matches won the match last month shooting his C. Sharps 40-65. And he beat the heck out me and I was shooting a Meacham actioned, Krieger barreled 45-90. I would not hesitate buying a C. Sharps 1885. Their only down side is that you cannot get them with double set triggers. Mori

IP Logged

holdinsteady

Reply #23 - Apr 29th, 2008 at 11:31pm
Print Post  
I have purchased 3 rifles from C Sharps since Dec. 07. One is a Boss Grade II mod 1874 in 45/70, one is a mod 1874 in 44/90, and the other is a 1885 Hi wall in 38/55. The 44/90 and the 38/55 were off-the-shelf guns and the Boss was ordered to my specs. I spent an entire day in the factory while Joe Seely cut dovetails for the scope mount, mounted an RHO scope and chambered the 44/90 so I could take these guns home with me on a Saturday visit as I had driven in from Boise to look at the guns that were available in the store. While I was there I hand picked the wood for my Boss gun and personally proof fired the 44/90 in the indoor range in the basement of the factory. I was like a kid in a candy store and John, his wife Nancy and Joe Seely the builder couldn't have been more accommodating to my wife and I. I would not hesitate for a moment to purchase/order another  C Sharps! 
My 1885 in 38/55 has a single set trigger when set breaks cleanly at 2oz.
I have had no problem getting moa accuracy out of all three of these rifles with carefully loaded black powder and cast bullet ammo. I also own a 1874 in a Shilo and the quality of the C Sharps is easily on par with the Shilo! 
I've attached a few pics of the C Sharps rifles of which I speak, just click on the thumbnail and enjoy!

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

IP Logged

J.D.Steele
Ex Member

Reply #24 - Apr 30th, 2008 at 8:05am
Print Post  
My comments concerning C.Sharps had nothing to do with the quality of their products, only the conduct of their business. Perhaps they're doing things a little better these days....
Good luck, Joe

IP Logged

38_Cal
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #25 - Apr 30th, 2008 at 9:54am
Print Post  
And mine had to do only with the consistency of their wood work and attitude while customers were in their shop.  (Big Timber is well off the beaten path, and I don't imagine that potential customers come in by accident!)  BTW my friend's 1885 in 30-40 Krag shoots quite well.  No complaints on that account.  If there were some way to ensure that the metal and stock work would be done as well as my friend's older rifle, I wouldn't hesitate to suggest getting one of their rifles.   

David
Montezuma, IA

David Kaiser
Montezuma, IA

IP Logged

Tombstone_Marshal
Ex Member

Reply #26 - May 4th, 2008 at 3:53pm
Print Post  
I looked at an Uberti Highwall at a local toy store and it looked very good. I would have bought it right then, but I was after another toy at the time. What are the problems associated with the Ubertis for future knowledge.

IP Logged

swifty
Ex Member

Reply #27 - May 4th, 2008 at 4:57pm
Print Post  
Tombstone_ RE: Uberti Copy of the Winchester 1885-
If you think you want to get one you had better grab that one. They are no longer offered on the Uberti web site.
What I hear is the bore is often over size so you need to slug the barrel to get the right diameter bullet for it.  Some have found that with a larger bullet to fit the bore, it's too tight of a fit for the chamber. You can either breech seat the bullet or open the chamber a bit. On this modification ,there was an article with pictures in Fowling Shot from the cast bullet association from last year. If you get the right fit on the bullet and 16 grains of 4759 it will shoot well. The twist in the barrel is 1 in 18 .  I got mine to hunt with and for informal range shooting.

IP Logged

screwloosetc
Ex Member

Reply #28 - May 5th, 2008 at 8:16am
Print Post  
IF U GET ONE OF THE CIMMERON OR STOGER UBERTIES SERVICE WONT BE A PROBLEM. MY 30/30 AND 45/70 HW SHOOT INTO THE CENTER CONSISTANTLY WITH NO MECHANICAL PROBLEMS I SHOOT A LOT OF SMOKELESS WITH CAST BULLETS NO LEADING WHATSOEVER ON EITHER RIFLE. MY INTENTION WAS TWO FOR THE PRICE OF ONE. I THINK THE UBERTIES ARE BETTER LOOKING THAN MY PEDERSOLI. HAVENT SHOT THE SHARPS ENOUGH TO TELL HOW IT WILL SHOOT ITS A HEAVY TARGET THAT CAME FROM CABELAS ON SALE $1000. ITS $1500 NOW.YOU DO GET WHAT U PAY FOR JUST A MATTER OF WHAT U ARE GOING TO DO WITH IT. NONE COMPARE TO A CUSTUM BUILT HAND FIT GUN BY A CRAFTSMAN. FROM PICTURES I LIKE THE AXTEL. IT WONT DO ANY MOR FOR ME THAN WHAT I HAVE THOUGH.MY NEXT TOY WILL BE A LYMAN RUGER.COSTS LESS THAN ANY OF THIS STUFF. IT SUPPOSEDLY STARTED AS A MATCH GRADE RIFLE. IV SEEN THEM THEY ARE NICE.
THANKS FOT THE TIME
TOM

IP Logged

swifty
Ex Member

Reply #29 - May 5th, 2008 at 9:26am
Print Post  
Tombstone-
I need to correct my previous posting. Uberti is not listing the Winchester 1885 in 38-55
on their web site. My dealer checked on his distributor network and he could only find one of  the 38-55's from Cimmeron with double set triggers and a straight stock. 
Perhaps other may have a lot more information than I do, but it appears they are dropping the 38-55 in the 1885.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 
Send TopicPrint