Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2  Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) C.Sharps 1885 (Read 15503 times)
swifty
Ex Member

C.Sharps 1885
Apr 27th, 2008 at 8:01pm
Print Post  
I did a search looking for a discussion on the C.Sharps  model 1885. I am interested in this rifle in the 38-55.
I was not able to find any threads of discussion. Do any of you have this rifle?
Does C.Sharps  actually make this gun?  Do they use the premium barrel in this model?My concern is that it is a different model than they usually make. Any time I buy something pre-order or by distance, customer service and return policy is very important. What has been your experience with C.Sharps?

IP Logged

38_Cal
Frequent Elocutionist

Re: C.Sharps 1885
Reply #1 - Apr 27th, 2008 at 10:05pm
Print Post  
I was at their factory a couple of weeks ago, while picking up some equipment from a friend who lives in Big Timber.  Some of the guns on display were ok, several had stock wood that...well, I've burned better wood...that came from an old pallet.  A couple of stocks had not been properly whiskered, a there were a couple that, when you looked along the side of the stock and forend, you would swear that you were looking at a washboard.  And these were the ones ON DISPLAY in their showroom, where you would expect to see their best work!   

A friend who drove with me from Iowa mentioned to the owner that he owned one of their Hi Walls, and was looking at possibly buying a new rifle from them.  So, here we were, me and a past and possibly future customer, and the boss essentially said "that's nice", and left the room.  Didn't ask my friend how he liked his rifle, what caliber, did it shoot to his expectations, offer us a cup of coffee, nuttin'!  This man has flunked Basic Salesmanship 101!  And his current products are nothing close to what my buddy bought three years ago from him in fit, finish or overall workmanship.   

But, I'm not biased...   Roll Eyes

David
Montezuma, IA

David Kaiser
Montezuma, IA

IP Logged

Paul_F.
Ex Member

Reply #2 - Apr 27th, 2008 at 10:23pm
Print Post  
A local shooter has a C. Sharps High Wall.
The fit and finish of the metal is extremely nice.   
As mentioned, the stock, however... decent fit.. but hardware store grade walnut, with a thoroughly mediocre finish.

I would never mention that to the owner, as he is exteremly pround of his rifle... and it does shoot great.

I think if I were going to buy a C. Sharps (and I'm considering it, actually...), I would try to go with an unstocked action, and have a local guy I know procure and fit some NICE lumber to it.

I think C. Sharps would do very well to hire a couple folks that take some pride in their woodworking.

Paul F.

IP Logged

boats
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #3 - Apr 28th, 2008 at 7:43am
Print Post  
Have noticed wood in the CSharps too. However fine hand finishing is expensive and for the price of the CSharps I don't think you can expect it.  I was looking at a Kimber Super America .22 bolt gun the other day and to my eye the wood & finish was not up to standard. It's considered by many to be top of the line. They cost about what a CSharps does.  Everybodys eye is different.

CPA sells most of there rifles with Unfinished wood. CPA will finish stocks but it will add a whole lot to the price. They do a great job on finishing but told me once there is no profit in it.

You can complete the stock job yourself with time and patience.  I would not let it hold me back.

Boats

IP Logged

J.D.Steele
Ex Member

Reply #4 - Apr 28th, 2008 at 8:38am
Print Post  
We're (apparently) not allowed to say anything negative about anyone on this forum, even if it would save a member from making a big mistake.

So I will merely say that I wouldn't personally buy anything from 
C. Sharps. Try Ballard instead.
Good luck, Joe

IP Logged

Green_Frog
Frequent Elocutionist

"It ain't easy being green"
ASSRA Life #281

Reply #5 - Apr 28th, 2008 at 8:53am
Print Post  
While I have not purchased anything from CSharps personally, I have watched the dealings of several friends and acquaintances and would not be anxious to do so.  I have seen one example of their work that rivals that of Meacham or Ballard, but others that were very clunky and amateurishly done.  In fact, one early one I saw looked more like the Clerke or one of the knock-offs rather than the Winchester it was supposed to duplicate.  The lines were very boxy and clunky by comparison.  Also promised delivery times seem to have virtually no meaning.  Finally, function of some is a little erratic... especially the firing pin retractor which may or may not even be functional at all!  Roll Eyes

If I could have it in my hands, and purchase it immediately upon inspection, I might consider the CSharps product, otherwise, not very likely.  JMHO, YMMV of course!

Green Frog

IP Logged

swifty
Ex Member

Reply #6 - Apr 28th, 2008 at 9:06am
Print Post  
Thanks folks for saving me a lot of grief. This is the type of disappointment that I don't need. I have admired the 1885's by different makers but just could not stand the $3500
to$5,000 . I will keep looking. I have heard of some issues of quality with the Uberti and just don't want to spend close to a grand for something that may give me problem.

IP Logged

Brent
Ex Member

Reply #7 - Apr 28th, 2008 at 10:00am
Print Post  
Swifty.  The only thing you are going to get for close to a grand is a Uberti and that will give you lots more problems than a CSharps I think.

IP Logged

mriisj assra Life

Reply #8 - Apr 28th, 2008 at 11:53am
Print Post  
Hi Swifty

In a short time Pedersoli is putting ther HW 38-55 on the market, you might consider this or looking on CPA's Stevens 44½.

Michael

IP Logged

Paul_F.
Ex Member

Reply #9 - Apr 28th, 2008 at 1:35pm
Print Post  
I'm optomistic about the Pedersoli...
But the only "estimated street price" I've seen is nearly $1900, which is actually MORE than the base price of a C. Sharps.

I still haven't seen the Pedersoli cataloged anywhere, so maybe that price was out of someones posterior orifice without relation to reality..

THe only negative that I see on the Pedersoli (other than the price), is the single trigger in the double set trigger guard.  Ugly, silly, and useless.
I'd consider PAYING $1900 for one with a DOUBLE trigger in that guard in .38-55.

Time will tell... once the Pedersoli is actually for sale somewhere, we can see how it stacks up for real.

Paul F.

IP Logged

Green_Frog
Frequent Elocutionist

"It ain't easy being green"
ASSRA Life #281

Reply #10 - Apr 28th, 2008 at 2:17pm
Print Post  
I've seen several of the Ubertis in various calibers including the .38-55 in question.  What I have not seen is a double set trigger example although they are supposed to be available.  Perhaps I will be able to find out something at the NRA Show in 3 weeks.  Anyway, the .38-55 I have some experience with is NOT the equivalent of an original Winchester nor of the current Ballard Rifle Co or Meacham repros.  HOWEVER, I would buy it before I would buy any of the currently available other US repros, and if the DSTs become available, there would be no question.  Their quality is much much better than the ones that were panned 10 years ago and gave the name such a bad rep.  I don't know about long term resistance to wear and tear during serious campaigning, but you're going to have to pay to repair or replace parts on an original as well, an expensive proposition, and with the Meacham or Ballard products you are in essence pre-paying this high cost.

JMHO, YMMV!
Green Frog

IP Logged

QuestionableMaynard8130
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #11 - Apr 28th, 2008 at 3:18pm
Print Post  
When looking for information of this sort, you might use the search function and type in the vendors name.  You might also find it beneficial to check some of the more BCPR oriented sites for this specific vendor. I have no personal experience, axes to grind--or gild--with him.  However from discussions here and elsewhere it might be beneficial to do some more research since posted comments in the past have varied wildly.

sacred cows make the best burger

IP Logged

DaleHDeal
Participating Member

Reply #12 - Apr 28th, 2008 at 7:28pm
Print Post  
I have one my wife bought for me about 6 years ago.  I got it with XFancy (about fancy Shiloh) pistol grip stock w/cheekpiece, 32" #1 Badger barrel, SST, in 45/70.  The only real gripes I have ever had is the wood had very little finish on it.  I enjoyed refinishing it and learned alot about wood in the process.  But with the money it costs I would have prefered that it would not need any more finishing.  I have a Shiloh in my safe that needs more than a few more coats of finish too.  Neither of these rifles was ordered with the "full fill finish" so I got what I paid for.  On another note, the Highwall will shoot 1.5 moa with either bullet mold I have with BP.  I have never fired anything but BP in it so I don't know about smokeless.  I really wish I could have gotten DST's though. Now that Ballard is back in business, maybe I can rectify that.  My wood to metal fit is great so things must have changed in Big Timber.  As to the owner, well I did not have a problem, but .............

IP Logged

boats
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #13 - Apr 29th, 2008 at 6:24am
Print Post  
And then there is CPA.  They turn out a quality product for a more "reasonable" price. Customer service and support is 2nd to none.

When I was first looking for a reproduction single shot for match shooting the 44 1/2 action was not my first choice. But availability price and most important dealing with other rifle builders tipped me in favor of Paul Shuttleworth & CPA. You can talk to a real person who knows what he is doing while listening to your needs.

Dozen or so years latter it was the right choice.

Boats

IP Logged

Brent
Ex Member

Reply #14 - Apr 29th, 2008 at 7:12am
Print Post  
There is a nice NEW Mecham action for sale on gunbroker for a few more hours.  I'd be buying this if I was building a new rifle. No, it is not a takedown

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 
Send TopicPrint