Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic Need help with Gun info !! 7.6mmx46 (Read 3230 times)
Don_Ho
Ex Member

Need help with Gun info !! 7.6mmx46
Apr 17th, 2008 at 8:28pm
Print Post  
I took a gun in on a trade and I can't find anything out about it. 7.6mmx46 - 31" Oct Barrel - Action is not marked but Barrel has Weissenfel ( City in Germany..? ) and R.Sachces ( Gunsmith? ) on both sides of barrel flats

IP Logged

38_Cal
Frequent Elocutionist

Re: Need help with Gun info !! 7.6mmx46
Reply #1 - Apr 17th, 2008 at 9:37pm
Print Post  
Have you either slugged the bore or done a chamber cast to include an inch or so of the bore?  More than likely, the land diameter is 7.6mm, and you probably have an 8.15x46R...  There should be a date on the bottom of the barrel under the forend, as in 2 25 or such.  This would be the month & year it went through proof.  If it's early, you probably don't have the "standardized" or "Normal" chamber, so a chamber cast and micrometer will be almost essential.   

David
Montezuma, IA

David Kaiser
Montezuma, IA

IP Logged

Don_Ho
Ex Member

Reply #2 - Apr 17th, 2008 at 10:08pm
Print Post  
Here is what I see under the wood - From the LUG back - R.H.,B1.G over 11gr , Crown Proofs w/ B, G, U ,, 7.6mm / 46, 5.29,259,ML. ser#
A better question would be what's a gun like this worth? PS - You ever hear a company called Brownell's ?

IP Logged

Paul_F.
Ex Member

Reply #3 - Apr 17th, 2008 at 10:33pm
Print Post  
I agree with 38_Cal that it's 95% likely to be chambered for 8.15x46R... but the only way to be sure is to slug the bore and cast the chamber.

I can put forth the opinion that the "5.29" on the bottom of the barrel probably stands for May of 1929, the production date.

As for what it's worth... Have to see the whole gun to guess close.
It would be unlikely for it to be worth less than about $1000, and equally unlikely to be worth more than $2500 just based on what we can see. Anything is possible with more details though.

I suggest you slug the bore, cast the chamber, get dies, brass, and bullets, and go have a great time with that nice old rifle!

Or, scratch that...
I'll give you $300 for it.  (the current sum of my life savings...unfortunately..).

Cheesy

Paul F.

IP Logged

Don_Ho
Ex Member

Reply #4 - Apr 17th, 2008 at 10:43pm
Print Post  
Well.....to tell you the truth, I will have to pass on the $300.00 but thanks.  I listed the gun on (You need to Login or Register to view media files and links) - Auction # 97256538 
I really don't know what it's worth, I know what I have into it...I don't have a way to slug the barrel. Why the 7.6mm marking?  Lands?

IP Logged

Paul_F.
Ex Member

Reply #5 - Apr 17th, 2008 at 11:04pm
Print Post  
Can't blame you for passing on that offer... you're wise to.
But a guy's gotta dream when his life savings is depleted by the IRS and frivolous purchases of firearms, right?  Grin

The 7.6, as 38_cal said, would be the minor diameter of the bore (the size ball that would drop through the bore), rather than the groove diameter (the diameter bullet one would use).

If I might opine about your auction;  your starting price is about $1000 too high.  You will likely not get a bid.  Were you to start it at $800, the final price may very well top $2000.   
I've seen several nice Schützen rifles get listed, relisted, re-re-listed, and re-re-re-listed with starting bids that high, and never get a nibble... then drop their starting bid to under $1K, and end up selling for more than their previous starting bid.   
Just a suggestion!

Paul F.

IP Logged

tim_s
Oldtimer

Reply #6 - Apr 18th, 2008 at 11:07am
Print Post  
You've got a German-Swiss based Martini. 8.15x46. Appears to be made in 1929. Based on the photo's it looks to be in nice shape with proper sight [major plus] and most case color. No engraving apparant. I'd guess $1750-$2250 depending on which way the wind is blowing. There are buyers there, they don't seem to be buying all the time and there have been several decent Scheutzen guns showing up over the last year or so, good luck.

“ I don’t have to be faster than the bear, I just have to be faster than you”

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint