Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic browning 78/85 (Read 2530 times)
md5200
Participating Member

browning 78/85
Apr 17th, 2008 at 5:59pm
Print Post  
is the brn 78 and 85 the same action? i have2 that i've shot out and had the barrel set back and the chamber recut. now both are very touchy about resizing. the cases have to be just like new factory which is no problem except if a piece of dirt or anything happens to be in the chamber it won't fire. could this be related to the triggar mechinism? the guy that set the 1st one back is no longer with us. he was the only person i ever knew that would install a canjar in a 78, but he hated doing it. does anyone else make a better triggar? one is an oct barreled 22/250 and the other a round barreled 6 mm rem. i just signed up and i'll get this new stuff out of the way and get down to thegood stuff. any info will be greatly appreciated thanks md

IP Logged

marlinguy
Ex Member

Ballards may be weaker,
but they sure are neater!

Re: browning 78/85
Reply #1 - Apr 17th, 2008 at 6:28pm
Print Post  
I believe the actions differ a bit, but not positive. As for the tight chamber, I'd say the gentleman who did the barrel setback, and rechambering was trying to keep the tolerances close, and just got them a bit too tight. You may have to have a finish reamer run through to open them up slightly, so they aren't as finicky.

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

IP Logged

38_Cal
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #2 - Apr 17th, 2008 at 7:57pm
Print Post  
What Marlinguy said.  There are differences between the actions, neither one is a real Winchester!  With the barrels set back and the chambers re-cut, you might want to think of them as brand new guns with match chambers.  Check your case lengths, and prep your brass accordingly.  You may have to go to new brass and small base dies.

David
Montezuma, IA

David Kaiser
Montezuma, IA

IP Logged

montana_charlie

Reply #3 - Apr 19th, 2008 at 9:57pm
Print Post  
md5200 wrote on Apr 17th, 2008 at 5:59pm:
is the brn 78 and 85 the same action?

In a discussion (about a year ago) it seems that the '85 has an extractor (operated by the lever, I think) which pulls the empty case out of the chamber.  The 78 has a spring-loaded ejector which can throw the case clear of the gun.

Beyond that, I don't recall any important differences.
CM

Retired...twice.  Now, just raisin' cows and livin' on borrowed time.

IP Logged

J.D.Steele
Ex Member

Reply #4 - Apr 20th, 2008 at 11:36am
Print Post  
Two possible sources for the binding. One: tight headspace as described (shallow chamber), with grit in the chamber causing the breech face to bind against the cartridge head. Two (less likely IMO): tight clearance between the breech face and the rear face of the barrel, causing the breech face to bind against any grit caught between them (but not necessarily in the chamber).

Suggested solutions: case 1, remove 0.002" from top of shell  holder and readjust sizing die; case 2, remove 0.002" from rear face of barrel.
Good luck, Joe

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint