Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic Navy Arms .32 Long Rimfire Ammo (Read 13525 times)
slumlord44
Frequent Elocutionist

Navy Arms .32 Long Rimfire Ammo
Mar 13th, 2008 at 12:45am
Print Post  
There have been past comments on this ammo. Finally got to try some current production run that I recently got from SOG. $24.95 per box + shipping. Ran about half a box through a Stevens Favorite that I recently acquired. Had two rounds that failed to fire the first time but fired on the second attempt. Not sure if the problem is the ammo or the gun.

IP Logged

MerwinBray
Oldtimer

Aw Gees

Re: Navy Arms .32 Long Rimfire Ammo
Reply #1 - Mar 14th, 2008 at 7:29pm
Print Post  
Slumlord44,
I know several people here have sais the ammo was suspect, but the stuff I shot didn't give me any trouble. It WAS about 15 years ago and I bought the box in the store and went right outside to their range and fired over a half box. I do not know if that was current ammo at that time. I still have what little is left. The gun, a #4 roller, has a not so great bore. I shot it at 100 yds bench, old open sights and kept them all in about a 10" group. (patern?) I know that isn't great but for that old thing and .32 rimfire, I was happy. I doubt I could getmy reloadable rimfire cases to do that. I don't think I could cram enough powder in them even if the bullets I have used were perfect fit and they're not.
24.95 seems like a fair price to me for thoose. I have seen them up to 80.00 a box! And it puts the old thing back in action, if only for a while. Enjoy it!
Merwin

Great Plains Precision Rifle Club

IP Logged

slumlord44
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #2 - Mar 14th, 2008 at 10:29pm
Print Post  
I think Bufflo Arms is getting $45 or $50 . See them on Gunbroker starting at $50. I thought the price was right and bought 4 boxs before I had a rifle to shoot it.

IP Logged

Bent_Ramrod
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #3 - Mar 15th, 2008 at 2:33am
Print Post  
I have heard the price for the stuff that's currently coming in to Old Western Scrounger is about twice what the Navy Arms .32RF used to go for.

Mostly it shot badly in my rifles, but all my rifles had second-rate bores at best.  It shot amazingly well in a friend's S&W #1 pistol for about two cylinderfuls and then the gun needed cleaning to restore the accuracy,  It also shot as good as any .22 RF in an acquaintance's Marlin .32 rim-or-center lever action repeater.

Now that I have a Low Wall with an unblemished .32RF barrel and a spare rimfire breechblock, I plan to check it out with the half-box of Navy Arms I have left.  It shoots very well with the centerfire breechblock and .32 Long Colt loads.

IP Logged

Green_Frog
Frequent Elocutionist

"It ain't easy being green"
ASSRA Life #281

Reply #4 - Mar 15th, 2008 at 8:18am
Print Post  
Hey Bent Ramrod, didn't we establish that the low-wall you have is the one I used to own?  That is, the one with the very highly polished early (high) breech block for CF?  If so, I can probably save you some money by telling you that it really didn't like the Navy Arms rimfire stuff when I had it.  If you or anyone else want to get some of that ammo to shoot, I would suggest going to the Old Western Scrounger, which is now affiliated with Navy Arms, and buying it directly from them @ $24.95 while the "limited supply" lasts.  When I talked to Val the last time, he implied there wasn't a whole lot of this, the last of the original batch, and he didn't sound real enthusiastic about getting more in, so then you WILL have to pay $50+ per box just to try it.  BTW B/R,  if you just want to try a few rounds, I probably still have a little left from my days with that rifle.  Send me a PM if you would like a small sample.

Froggie

IP Logged

Bent_Ramrod
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #5 - Mar 15th, 2008 at 11:36am
Print Post  
Thanks for the offer, GF.  I didn't know more 32RF was still available at the "old" "low-low" (formerly outrageous) price.  I should have enough to get me through experimenting; if it shoots as well with the rimfire as with some centerfire loads, I may try to get some more of the Navy Arms stuff.

I put my rifle together from parts mostly scrounged at the Michigan Antique Arms show.  I got most of the action one year and the barrel a couple years later.  I had a few extra parts stashed away and an old buttstock lying around.  I welded and ground on a buttplate casting and made a forend to fit.  The action has the standard sloping breechblock and the "thin" sidewalls.  I haven't finished the outside; except for the barrel, it's a real "dogfight gun."

I'm getting some interesting results with it using Triple 7 powder and the Ideal 299155 hollow-base bullet; also am using Trail Boss and the 299153 and -152 Long and Short heel bullets.  When I get the data together, I'll post it in the Reloading section for the 3 or 4 other institution cases that might be interested Wink.

It does seem that a pristine barrel is a basic requirement for any accuracy potential whatsoever in the .32 rimfire or .32 Long centerfire world.  The Ballard I have has a slightly fuzzy barrel which is as good or better than some in larger .30 calibers I have, but while they shoot acceptably, the Ballard can just about hit a tea saucer every time at 50 yards.  Those small Outside Lubricated rounds are very primitive and plenty quirky.

IP Logged

Green_Frog
Frequent Elocutionist

"It ain't easy being green"
ASSRA Life #281

Reply #6 - Mar 15th, 2008 at 8:05pm
Print Post  
Bent Ramrod,

I was confusing you with somebody here in the East who was the fortunate recipient of a low-wall I traded off in a moment of financial embarrassment (I just had to have that Maynard!)  Anyway, the results I got with that and the previous .32 rf low-wall I had using the Navy/Brazilian ammo was pretty dismal.  However, both of those had pretty marginal bores, so the chambers were probably pretty doubtful as well.   Huh

When I was fooling around with the first of those, I went on and chambered it out to .32 H&R Mag and found that it would shoot a little half jacketed bullet (.311) made for the M-1 Carbine, but did poorly with lead bullets, so it got traded too.  Undecided  I left the second one with the chamber unaltered, and was just starting to experiment with .32 Colt (long) ammo when the Maynard bug hit me.  Maybe I should have my buddy John Bly build me a thick rim .32 mag barrel for a Maynard!  Roll Eyes

Anyway, the offer of a few sample rounds, once extended, will be honored, but if you want a bunch of them, you'd better act fast.  Wink

Regards,
Froggie

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint