Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2  Send TopicPrint
Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) what is accurate??  1/2" or better??? (Read 11631 times)
kinglooie
Ex Member

what is accurate??  1/2" or better???
Feb 19th, 2008 at 8:11pm
Print Post  
Just wondering what is considered accurate here??  moa @100yds?

thanks
kinglooie

IP Logged

pulaski

Re: what is accurate??  1/2" or better???
Reply #1 - Feb 19th, 2008 at 8:39pm
Print Post  
JMHO - If I can keep it under 1.5 moa I feel I'm on the right track .
There are days when I can shoot under 1moa (not allways) . There are guys here with more years shooting black powder than I have walking years . 
I've only been shooting these BPCR's for 6 yrs. Still working on loading the cartridge correct . 
Ever-so-often it all goes right and I get great groups ( 2.8" @ 300 yds. last weekend) It ain't easy as you have to pay attention to wind , weather , humidity , etc. etc. ..... to achieve what you did last time .
Don't know if this helps . Looking forward to see the answer.

IP Logged

henpeckedmuch
Ex Member

Reply #2 - Feb 19th, 2008 at 9:09pm
Print Post  
Off the bench I have been able to keep my Pedersoli sharps and original Winchester Highwall in 45/70 and 38-55 respectfully into 1 1/2" groups up to 300 yds off the bench. I can't do that off the cross sticks or off hand. But was able to shoot a 90with 1 X offhand at 100 yd last Sat. The wind was howling, gusting and switching directions like a dog with a burr in its tail. And, most importantly thats minute of deer up to 200 yd for me.

IP Logged

38_Cal
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #3 - Feb 19th, 2008 at 9:12pm
Print Post  
For Schuetzen targets, 3/4 MOA is required to shoot a possible score.  That works out to 1 1/2" at 200 yards...I've come close a few times in practice, but not even in competition...must be my personality!   Roll Eyes

David
Montezuma, IA

David Kaiser
Montezuma, IA

IP Logged

boats
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #4 - Feb 20th, 2008 at 4:31pm
Print Post  
It depends very much on your standards,  Occasional small groups fired in practice or groups fired under match conditions.  Number of shots fired makes a huge difference.   

Bench rest take the ASSRA target and consider the center is 3/4 moa. Few all center targets are fired in matches.  A perfect score of 250 is the standard for 10 shots

Offhand the very best shooters aspire to top Dr Hudson's 2300 for 100 shots any sight,  Iron sight the mark is Hayes 2200 for 100 shots.  I don't think either have ever been topped.  You do see 240's for 10 shots regularly.

My two Traditonal Schuetzen offhand rifles, 38/55 and 32/40 are  1 1/2 moa guns. With the rimfire barrel one of them can shoot 1 moa using the best ammo.  I think it takes a modern single shot stocked for bench rest to do significantly better

Boats

IP Logged

zrifleman
Ex Member

Reply #5 - Feb 20th, 2008 at 10:56pm
Print Post  
Henpecked---I would like to see those 1 1/2" groups @ 300 yds!!! I can shoot sub 1" 5 shot groups @ 100 yds and on my best day groups under 2" 2 200 yds but 1 1/2" @ 300 yds-----never! I shoot a lot and have never seen anyone else do that. Are those groups you are shooting, 5 shots center to center?

IP Logged

henpeckedmuch
Ex Member

Reply #6 - Feb 22nd, 2008 at 10:46am
Print Post  
Holy smoke! I almost choked when I reread my own post. I meant to say minute and a half groups up to 300 yds. That is 1.5 in groups at 100yds, 3 in groups at 200, and so on. The only 1.5 in group I could shoot at 300 yd would only have two holes in it. I'm terribly sorry for misspeaking.

IP Logged

irish66
Oldtimer

Reply #7 - Feb 23rd, 2008 at 7:19am
Print Post  
The only person you have to beat is yourself.
the best I have seen was a .312 5 shot at 100 with a 32-40.
my personal is a .375 at 100 with a 32-40
my best with a bp is 1.5 at 200 45-70 
at 200 best I have ever shot was a 248   
accuracy is getting them in the bull,(and there is a lot of that) group is not that important.
irish Smiley

IP Logged

SCHUETZEN
Ex Member

Reply #8 - Feb 23rd, 2008 at 2:57pm
Print Post  
CBA Records for plain base bullets.

100yd 5 shot group 0.1903
200yd 5 shot group 0.503

100yd 10 shot group 0.400
200yd 10 shot group 1.063

These Records were shot with a 15 minute time limit with moving backers.

Most rifles will shoot better than you think; you just need to spend the time and effort into getting the most out of them.

IP Logged

leadball
Ex Member

Reply #9 - Feb 23rd, 2008 at 3:19pm
Print Post  
Boats statement on accuracy is correct, it depends on which yardstick is  used to determine the accuracy of a rifle. The industry standard for target shooters is the 100yd -5 shot group, using that standard I think our cast bullet rifles are 1/2 inch group rifles. Of course there  will be some larger and some smaller groups fired on any given day, but when we double the distance and the number of shots, the same accuracy is there but it becomes much much harder to get the accuracy the rifle is capable of producing.  The comments made are for the best Benchrest rifles, other larger caliber rifles can also be very accurate but because of recoil they are harder to shoot accurately [as in 1/2" groups]with repeatability.  leadball

IP Logged

irish66
Oldtimer

Reply #10 - Feb 23rd, 2008 at 10:09pm
Print Post  
gents,
one can only agree with the record books.
today i pulled out a cumberland mtn arms highwall I chambered on a douglas barrel with a jones 300 gr slug and decided to tune it.my second group 10 shots measured 1.075 @200 the third and fourth opened up to 1.125 and 1.180.
be willing to bet I could not do that again for a while.
was shot with a lischert 12x.
irish

IP Logged

westerner
Frequent Elocutionist

deleted posts and threads
record holder.

Reply #11 - Feb 23rd, 2008 at 10:33pm
Print Post  
Thats some fine shooting Irish !

Tarbaby wants your autograph.

Anybody that can shoot three 250 size groups in a row should be getting money for autographs.

One day a few years ago I was visiting with Bernie Connon at the Mcgowen Creek range in Springfield Oregon.  During our conversation he shot two 250's on practice targets. It was as easy as falling off a log for him that day. 

I think your shooting has topped Bernies. 
Also one year at the Northwest regional, Lowel Hamilton shot a pair of 250's.  I'm sure Lowel would tip his hat at your shooting.  Wink  

Joe.

« Last Edit: Feb 23rd, 2008 at 10:43pm by westerner »  

A blind squirrel runs into a tree every once in a while.

IP Logged

tenx
Senior Forum Member

Reply #12 - Feb 23rd, 2008 at 11:17pm
Print Post  
Kinglooie,
A lot depends on what caliber you're shooting and whether you're using smokeless or black powder.
  With calibers in the .32 class you should be able to shoot four, five shot groups at 100 yds. under an inch with either powder, and on occasion some of them 1/2" or under.
  When you get into the over 40 calibers then it becomes more difficult. You should,with a lot of work be able to hold 5 shots down around 1 1/4" at 100 yds., with a few under  an 1" with either powder, altho many feel that anything under 1 1/2" with BP is doing pretty good.
  I used to hold, and maybe still do, the WSU 5 shot group record at 100 yds. using BP, with a group slightly under 1/2". This wasn't a fluke as 4 or 5 groups shot in a row that day averaged under an inch.

IP Logged

irish66
Oldtimer

Reply #13 - Feb 24th, 2008 at 7:27am
Print Post  
joe,
I think yesterday was a lot of luck. am goping to try again today to see what happens.
but it was with a pjones, and 4759 with cork wad on powder.
I know lowel have shot with him periodically over the past 15 years.------
have always figured that if i can keep them under bull size at either 100 or 200 who cares.
yesterday was rare had a very consistant light breeze out of the sw. at about 3 mph that by 11 am had turned itno the typical mid day hurricane for the range down here.
cheers
irish

IP Logged

BillOregon

Reply #14 - Mar 13th, 2008 at 2:15am
Print Post  
Westerner: Is the McGowan Creek range that lovely little one out Marcola Road? Spent some happy hours there while attending the University of Oregon.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 
Send TopicPrint