Page Index Toggle Pages: [1]  Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) 25-20 Difference (Read 12505 times)
Ziggy

25-20 Difference
Mar 6th, 2008 at 6:43pm
Print Post  
What is the difference between 25-20 Win and 25-20ss.
Thanks

IP Logged

FITZ
Oldtimer

REGARDS

Re: 25-20 Difference
Reply #1 - Mar 6th, 2008 at 7:36pm
Print Post  
The 2520 Win is a shorter cartridge designed to function in the Model 92 Winchester lever action rifles and a few others. I think Marlin also made rifles in that caliber. The 25-20 SS is a longer shell from the Black powder era. It kind of looks like a grown up Hornet. The two are different. The 25-20 SS is I believe a better cartridge for Target shooting up to 200 yds and can be shot with smokeless powder. Now having said it came from the black Powder era I must admit I have not known anyone to use Black powder in a 25-20 SS. I suspect that fowling is a real issue. HTH regards, FITZ. Smiley

FITZ

IP Logged

Brent
Ex Member

Reply #2 - Mar 6th, 2008 at 7:47pm
Print Post  
Think Rosi McDonald vs. Sports Illustrated Swimsuit model.  One is far better lookin'.

Brent

IP Logged

tenx
Senior Forum Member

Reply #3 - Mar 6th, 2008 at 10:20pm
Print Post  
  As Fitz says the .25/20 Win. was especially developed to be used in the Win. 1892 because the SS was to long for the action. Water capacity of the two is slightly different with the .25/20 Win. having a capacity of 27 grs. of water and the .25/20SS having a 30 gr. capacity. The .25/20 Win. case is 1.33" long and the .25/20SS 1.635".

I've shot the .25/20SS quite a bit with BP. In fact with the exception of one load worked up for 4227 that's all I've ever shot in it in either a re-lined Low Wall or an original Stevens 44 1/2. Both have been shot fixed and breech seated.

I have gotten groups, at 100 yds., below 1", but the norm is closer to 1 1/4" if breech seated and wiped out between shots. Best BP loads run about equal to the smokeless load. I've used it Squirrel hunting a few times with reduced loads of BP and out to 50 yds., without wiping between shots, it has enuf accuracy for head shots.

IP Logged

MerwinBray
Oldtimer

Aw Gees

Reply #4 - Mar 7th, 2008 at 8:48am
Print Post  
tenx,
I have an original 44.5 barrel in 25-20ss. May I ask what weight bullet you used in yours? Provided it is the original twist as mine is. I have done very little with it as I had a 38-55 barrel put on by Rocky Mt., but can switch and want to from time to time. I read so many different things as to what was intended for what, ie target, hunting, etc. I had thought the 86 gr ideal mould I have was the thing, but read for target some went Lighter. Just wondering what worked for you. Thanks in advance,
Merwin

Great Plains Precision Rifle Club

IP Logged

tenx
Senior Forum Member

Reply #5 - Mar 7th, 2008 at 9:35am
Print Post  
Merwin,

For the original twist in the Steven 44 1/2 about the most wgt. you can get away with reliably out to 200 yds. is 75 grs. I think Brent will back me up on this.  Smiley A very few guns, for some reason, will handle up to 80 or 85 grs., but that will more than likely restrict the maximum accurate range you can work with and get acceptable accuracy. The thing to do is see if your gun will handle that Lyman bullet of yours and what the maximum range you can get accuracy that's acceptable for what you want to use it for. In any event I'd look for a 75 gr. mould.

I use an old NEI PB bullet which is marked 60  257 (actually weighs about 70 grs. cast 1-25), which I don't see listed in the newest NEI catalog I have. As mentioned in a previous post I haven't done a lot of smokeless powder load development with this round but 8.0 grs. of 4227 and a Rem. SR primer do what I want from it. 

This light bullet wgt. for the original twist is the reason most .25SS shooters today opt out for a 1-10" or 12" twist for target work. The 10" twist is what I have on my Low Wall and it will handle bullets up to possibly 120 grs., altho the bullet I use is 110 grs.

The case capacity of the SS is really crowding the limit for fixed ammo BP use and a 110 gr. bullet. With smokeless you have to be careful as it's pretty easy to stretch primer pockets. That's experience talking!

IP Logged

Brent
Ex Member

Reply #6 - Mar 7th, 2008 at 10:07am
Print Post  
I use a 79 gr bullet in my .25-20.  It in one of the NEI bullets that was made w/o the gas check.  Not sure which one but something #17 pr 19 or 23 or something like that on their webpage.  I did a LOT of experimenting and could not get a bullet heavier than that to fly straight.   I believe the twist was 15" in that barrel.  Not entirely sure.

All loads were with black (Swiss and Goex, 1.5, 2 and 3fg).

It's  a hell of a squirrel rifle, but a bit loud on the ears while hunting.  It would be my very first choice for a turkey rifle.   

Brent

IP Logged

wislnwings
Participating Member

Reply #7 - Mar 7th, 2008 at 1:24pm
Print Post  
How would the 25-20ss do for called coyotes (inside 100 yards?  Also, my rifle came with the Ideal loading tool with bullet mold.  Is there a way to know what weight bullet it will throw, other than casting one and weighing it?

IP Logged

Brent
Ex Member

Reply #8 - Mar 7th, 2008 at 1:28pm
Print Post  
wislnwings wrote on Mar 7th, 2008 at 1:24pm:
How would the 25-20ss do for called coyotes (inside 100 yards?  Also, my rifle came with the Ideal loading tool with bullet mold.  Is there a way to know what weight bullet it will throw, other than casting one and weighing it?

With a good flatnosed bullet, it would do just fine.

Can't tell ya about the bullet mould, but I bet someone else can.
Brent
« Last Edit: Mar 7th, 2008 at 3:35pm by »  

IP Logged

tenx
Senior Forum Member

Reply #9 - Mar 7th, 2008 at 3:18pm
Print Post  
Wings,

I think a good flat-nosed bullet cast 1-25 will do the job nicely on those Coyotes at the range you're thinking about.

According to Lyman Handbook #27 the bullet wgt. cast from the Ideal #4 tool should be 86 grs.

IP Logged

Quarter_Bore
Oldtimer

Reply #10 - Mar 7th, 2008 at 4:25pm
Print Post  
Merwinbray,
If your 25-20 is a 44 1/2 it probably has 13 inch twist. That twist will stabilize the 99 grain (or 100 for that matter) and shoot good to 200 yards as I have done it many times with my Stevens .25-25. The 86 grain bullet (or 90) will also shoot nicely. I have not shot a lot of the shorter bullets as I was always going for target accuracy at 200 YDs., but I hear that they make good varmint bullets. I am speaking of smokeless loads, but I have also shot a .25-20SS lowall with duplex loads and 86 grain bullet and it was a hummer.

IP Logged

Green_Frog
Frequent Elocutionist

"It ain't easy being green"
ASSRA Life #281

Reply #11 - Mar 7th, 2008 at 5:29pm
Print Post  
MerwinBray, we need to talk about some bullet casting for these .25s.  Hint: can you say "Perfection Mould?"

Froggie

IP Logged

QuestionableMaynard8130
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #12 - Mar 7th, 2008 at 5:58pm
Print Post  
which cartridge did Wayne Vietz use to shoot that 250-10x with at EG in the past yeear or two?  Any idea what gun/load etc he was using.   I'm sure it was in a Journal but I'm "on the road" and away from my reference collection.  What ever it was, he could probably pick the eye out of a turkey at 150 yards or so with it.

sacred cows make the best burger

IP Logged

MerwinBray
Oldtimer

Aw Gees

Reply #13 - Mar 7th, 2008 at 6:18pm
Print Post  
Froggie,
Perhaps we could get together at my house on a shoot weekend when you are up this way? I forgot about THAT mould. Are you going to try to make Timonium? I plan on going and am always looking for moulds while I am there, amongst other things. 
I have both Ideal 25-20ss and 25-20 wcf tools with decent moulds. They visually apear the same. I have cast from both but at different times and didn't compare them. I want to. I also want to run some of the .22 wcf bullets from another ideal tool I have. I can then size some for my .22 hornet and try some as is for my stevens tip up in .22 wcf. That gun has a dark bore, but I want to shoot it. I am looking to use it on the June squirel season we have here.
Merwin

IP Logged

xxgrampa
Ex Member

Reply #14 - Mar 8th, 2008 at 12:20am
Print Post  
hi ho ziggy,

win made the lo-wall in two 25-20 ss. the early ones were in 25-20ss and later ones were marked 25-20 wcf. HOWSOMEVER, both were 25-20ss'. the only diff was the twist.

back on the old shooters site, we did a pole. forgot what we learned,but, the twists were different. matbe one of the old timers from shooters will remember..

as for a good bullet. rcbs makes the cowboy mold in 25 cal.. it's a two cavity mold of 86grs. had them make me up a mold. but, for the second cavity, asked them to pull the cherry out one grease grove. the mold now casts an 86 and a 65 gr bullet..

dave mos made the bullet that shot some 250's. there was a picture of the target in dave's ad in garbe's mag..

..ttfn..grampa..

IP Logged

xxgrampa
Ex Member

Reply #15 - Mar 8th, 2008 at 12:23am
Print Post  
PS... the cowboy bullet is a nice flatnose..

PPS.. dave mos made 'A' bullet mold that shot 250 10x.. mea culpa

tt.g

IP Logged

MerwinBray
Oldtimer

Aw Gees

Reply #16 - Mar 8th, 2008 at 6:13pm
Print Post  
xxgrampa,
I aquired a low wall barrel that is currently in 25-20ss, but it didn't start life that way. On the bottom of the barrel you can see what is left of "wcf". The TOP of the barrel is marked 25-20ss. I was informed by Mr. Frog that as far as he knew, winchetser did not mark the barrels on top that way. Now that I have read your post about twist rates, I am wondering if it was a 25-20 wcf re chambered to ss. Is that possible? If so, it is good to know they were different twists. Even though THAT project is a good ways away I will try to retain this info.
Merwin

IP Logged

J.D.Steele
Ex Member

Reply #17 - Mar 8th, 2008 at 8:33pm
Print Post  
The early wall barrels are marked '25 W.C.F.' (note not 25-20!) and use only the long skinny 25-20 SS chamber. The two I have measured have had ~13" twists. Later, after the advent of the 1892 Winchester and its new shorter 25-20 cartridge, the walls used both chamberings and marked them with two new cartridge names. The old long skinny 25 W.C.F. chambering became known as the '25-20 S.S.' and the new shorter chambering was known as the '25-20 W.C.F'.

So remember, if the caliber mark does not have a '-20' after the '.25' then it is an early barrel in the early 25-20 S.S. chambering.
HTH, Joe

IP Logged

tenx
Senior Forum Member

Reply #18 - Mar 9th, 2008 at 8:20am
Print Post  
Merwin,

As has been hinted at a .25/20 WCF can't be re-chambered for the .25/20SS without setting the barrel back. The SS case has a smaller rim diam. and has a smaller diam. just in front of the rim than the WCF. Vice versa a SS chambered barrel will have to also be set back in order to chamber it for the WCF due to the differences in case lengths.

The only way to be sure and know if your barrel was actually chambered at the factory for the barrel stamps would be to check the barrel length to see if it's some odd non-standard length.

IP Logged

MerwinBray
Oldtimer

Aw Gees

Reply #19 - Mar 9th, 2008 at 10:09am
Print Post  
Tenx,
Thank you for this info.I will need to have someone who knows more about Winchesters look at it, maybe the Frog can take another look for me, we were pretty busy "telling lies" last time! WInchesters are knid of "new" to me. Perhaps the reason all I can make out on the bottom is "wcf" is because it was set back? The top stampings that say 25-20ss are very block form lettering. It is not the prettiest barrel externally, but serviceable. I found it in a bucket of barrels on the porch of a shop that was closing. The bucket said $5.00, your choice. I dug through and knew enough to realize what it was. More gun projects have started for me because of finding one part. Usually it's the action, but not always.
Merwin

IP Logged

tenx
Senior Forum Member

Reply #20 - Mar 9th, 2008 at 3:34pm
Print Post  
Merwin,

I'm no expert on Win. either. Around here Winchester is a bad name. Ballards rule! The Ballard guys get so uptight when you beat them with a Win.   Smiley   

If you can compare the lettering on the top flat with a barrel you know to be original Win. that might be the real clue as to whether it was shortened. I've seen a lot of custom guns where they put the barrel makers stamp on the bottom and the gun makers name on top.

I've got a High Wall in .38/55 that I got the #4 wgt. barrel for that came off a Ballard(?) and after shortening all you could see was the 55.

Of course there is always the chance that Win. started that barrel out to go on a .25/20 WCF gun and then put it on one for a SS when an order came in for a SS with the WCF twist rate. Back in those days you could get anything you wanted made up. All you had to do was ask.

I am assuming with all this that there are no dovetails for sights, or holes for scope blocks, which would also be a dead giveaway.

There is one other way you can tell if a barrel has been shortened. At least from the muzzle. As an example..... All #3 wgt. barrels, lets say, no matter what the length, will have the same muzzle diam.

IP Logged

MerwinBray
Oldtimer

Aw Gees

Reply #21 - Mar 9th, 2008 at 8:32pm
Print Post  
tenx,
I should mention that this barrel is long and round, not heavey weight. It does have dovetails. What am I looking for as the give away? I have two other wall barrels, those two are large shank. ( I went through a barrel phase when for some unexplained reason I would buy barrels I didn't really need. They have come in ahndy on a couple of trades I guess ) One of they, too, have been monkied on. One is a heavey oct. 32-20 cut to 24" and the other is a 45-70 round barrel with a real nice bore but some real bad external gouges. 
Do the small and lareg shank barrels have the same tell tale markings? 
Aw crud, I can see where this is going. Anyone recommend a good hi/low wall book? I think I'm gonna need one.
Merwin

IP Logged

tenx
Senior Forum Member

Reply #22 - Mar 9th, 2008 at 10:22pm
Print Post  
Merwin,

I can see you need to get both of John Campbell's books on the Winchester 1885's. They'll tell you everything I know about them.

IP Logged

podufa

Reply #23 - Mar 10th, 2008 at 4:45am
Print Post  
I have a Hepburn barrel marked 25-20 I expect is single shot .This has 13 inch twist . I should sell it.

IP Logged

Antietamgw
Participating Member

Reply #24 - Mar 10th, 2008 at 11:24am
Print Post  
Podufa,
Sent you a PM.

Keep you sword and your plow share, know how and when to use them.

IP Logged

Bert_H.

Reply #25 - Mar 18th, 2008 at 10:42pm
Print Post  
Quote:
The early wall barrels are marked '25 W.C.F.' (note not 25-20!) and use only the long skinny 25-20 SS chamber. The two I have measured have had ~13" twists. Later, after the advent of the 1892 Winchester and its new shorter 25-20 cartridge, the walls used both chamberings and marked them with two new cartridge names. The old long skinny 25 W.C.F. chambering became known as the '25-20 S.S.' and the new shorter chambering was known as the '25-20 W.C.F'.

So remember, if the caliber mark does not have a '-20' after the '.25' then it is an early barrel in the early 25-20 S.S. chambering.
HTH, Joe

Very good! I have found that not many Winchester Model 1885 collectors are aware of that fact. In light of that, I wrote the following several years ago;

"All of the early Winchester Single Shot rifles that were marked “25 W.C.F.” are in fact actually chambered for the 25-20 Single Shot (S.S.) cartridge.   

The 25-20 S.S. cartridge first appeared circa 1882, and it was the first known center fire 25-caliber wildcat.   Winchester adopted the 25-20 S.S. cartridge in mid 1890 (circa serial number 39900), and because it was not a proprietary cartridge, they applied their own “W.C.F.” label to it.  

The 25-20 S.S. was chambered in both the high-wall and low-wall rifle frames, but it is much more predominantly found in the low-wall. The standard barrel length was always 28-inches regardless which frame size was used.  

It is my personal belief that most if not all of the “25 W.C.F.” marked Model 1885 Single Shots rifles made prior to 1894, are in reality chambered for the 25-20 S.S. cartridge versus the 25-20 W.C.F. (repeater).  On the later made specimens (after 1893), the caliber markings “25 W.C.F.”, “25-20 W.C.F.”, and “25-20 S.S.” will all be encountered.  The “25 W.C.F.” stamp was phased out in the latter part of the year 1895, with serial number 72139 being the highest serial number I have confirmed thus far
."

As for the twist rate, Winchester cataloged the "25 W.C.F." (a.k.a. 25-20 S.S.) as having a 1:12. The 25-20 W.C.F. is listed as having a 1:14 twist rate (in the Model 1885). Are you sure that your rifles have a 1:13 twist?

Bert

Real Men own and shoot a WINCHESTER Single Shot!

IP Logged

J.D.Steele
Ex Member

Reply #26 - Mar 19th, 2008 at 9:47am
Print Post  
I no longer have either barrel so can't re-measure. I used a tight-fitting patch on a cleaning rod to measure each barrel and did it twice for each one (as is my usual practice) but will freely admit that this is somewhat a hit-or-miss method at best. These two instances occurred about 10 years apart so no side-by-side comparisons were done, but the second one was done as a result of a discussion on this very board several years ago and I did these latest measurements fairly carefully. Neither of the latest-barrel measurements exactly repeated its mate but both hovered between 12.5" and 13.5" as I recall.

I'm glad to see some of my limited personal observations and conclusions are shared by an expert, sometimes the 'official' books don't agree with the actual data on the ground and it gets confusing.
Regards, Joe

IP Logged

Bert_H.

Reply #27 - Mar 20th, 2008 at 12:28am
Print Post  
Quote:
I no longer have either barrel so can't re-measure. I used a tight-fitting patch on a cleaning rod to measure each barrel and did it twice for each one (as is my usual practice) but will freely admit that this is somewhat a hit-or-miss method at best. These two instances occurred about 10 years apart so no side-by-side comparisons were done, but the second one was done as a result of a discussion on this very board several years ago and I did these latest measurements fairly carefully. Neither of the latest-barrel measurements exactly repeated its mate but both hovered between 12.5" and 13.5" as I recall.

I'm glad to see some of my limited personal observations and conclusions are shared by an expert, sometimes the 'official' books don't agree with the actual data on the ground and it gets confusing.
Regards, Joe

Hello Joe,

The information I have about the 25-20 S.S. comes from personal observation, and from digging out as many details and facts as I could find from the original Winchester records. Your observations are very very close to the "facts" as I have been able to verify them. 

I also have a very good friend (and fellow Model 1885 collector) who is an absolute 25-20 S.S. fanatic (he owns about (20) rifles in 25-20 S.S., and he has helped me to compile a fair amount of the information about them. I will verify exactly when the "first" Winchester Model 1885 was made in 25 W.C.F. during my next trip to Cody.

If anyone who reads this topic owns a Winchester Model 1885 in 25-20 S.S., I would very much like to hear from you. I can be contacted at Win1885@msn.com

Bert

Real Men own and shoot a WINCHESTER Single Shot!

IP Logged

MerwinBray
Oldtimer

Aw Gees

Reply #28 - Mar 22nd, 2008 at 11:00am
Print Post  
Wow,
This is GREAT information, especially to a "newbie" winchester fan. Great discussion! Thank you guys. 
Merwin

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 
Send TopicPrint