Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 11 Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) Scope Design (Read 99703 times)
Philip_Austin
Participating Member

Re: Scope Design
Reply #90 - Jan 13th, 2009 at 8:30pm
Print Post  
I finally got my scope put together (minus crosshairs) and was very pleased with how it turned out.  I'll hopefully get the crosshairs in the next week or so.  Thanks for your excellent guidance and article in the most recent magazine.

Philip

IP Logged

sharps54
Ex Member

Reply #91 - Jan 20th, 2009 at 8:31pm
Print Post  
I got the latest issue today and read the build article while standing in line at the post office. Wow, this is great! Thanks for all your work. Now I just need to talk my machinist buddy into helping with the project...

IP Logged

nuclearcricket
Oldtimer

Reply #92 - Jan 21st, 2009 at 9:29am
Print Post  
Dead Eye, In reading your build instructions on here, you mention making a bushing to reduce the amount of light coming through the scope. My question is this, can you combine the light reducing bushing with the cross hair bushing?  My reason for asking this it, it will save a little weight, prevent having to drill and tap 2 more holes. I guess in general I am just looking for any shortcut that will not hurt anything.
Sam

IP Logged

dead_eye
Ex Member

Reply #93 - Jan 21st, 2009 at 1:33pm
Print Post  
I haven't tried making the hole that small for the cross hair cell. I would like to know how it works if you try. The only thing is you might loose some field of view doing that way.  the field of view is all ready limited because of the diameter of the lenses. 
It would be a good experiment. the first one i built i did not use the reducer and could not see anything. i had to much light through the tube. when looking thought the scope it was a white blur once the reducer was placed in it cut light and was able to see thought the scope i had to play with the hole diameter until I was happy with the brightness of the scope. Just remember to start small with this hole and open it slowly until it is bright enough for your liking. try to not get so big that you get ghosting around the edges.

IP Logged

proud terrorist
Ex Member

Reply #94 - Jun 30th, 2009 at 5:25pm
Print Post  
what ocular lense you gents use for a 3 inch or so eye relief ?...I'm debating a fixed scope instead of sliding...and wanting to keep the power down around 5,6,7 or so...I have not started the scope yet, still kicking around ideas and design before I start.

IP Logged

proud terrorist
Ex Member

Reply #95 - Jul 13th, 2009 at 5:57pm
Print Post  
Has anyone here sucessfully built a scope according to these directions besides deadeye ?......I have the lens and cells made but no matter what, I get an upside down sight picture...any body have a clue why this would happen ?
Thanks
Ron

IP Logged

Jeff_Schultz
ASSRA Board Member

Reply #96 - Jul 13th, 2009 at 6:08pm
Print Post  
Perhaps you left out the erector lens?

"We have met the enemy and he is us." Pogo

“There is no situation so bad that it cannot be made worse."

Confidence- The feeling you get before you fully understand the situation.

IP Logged

proud terrorist
Ex Member

Reply #97 - Jul 13th, 2009 at 7:35pm
Print Post  
OK< finally got it, I had to move the objective out to 35 inches, anything less will not work, I have 279 up front, then 97 then 42 for ocular.
« Last Edit: Jul 13th, 2009 at 10:35pm by »  

IP Logged

DonH
Ex Member

Reply #98 - Jul 18th, 2009 at 12:50pm
Print Post  
Has anyone successfully built one of these scopes in a shorter than 30" length? If so, what focal length lens did you use and what magnification (power) did you achieve?

I am contemplating a 23"-24" length of between 10X and 15X. I will appreciate any help (info) I can get as a build is necessary to get the magnification I need.

Thanks

IP Logged

proud terrorist
Ex Member

Reply #99 - Jul 18th, 2009 at 2:30pm
Print Post  
Don if you go to Edmund Optics online and email the support they will help you, I emailed a guy there and he gave me the lens number and ran through a program to figure the distances and FL needed for a specific eye relief and scope length, for what I gave him I needed to buy the 55 dollar lens, so I just saved the info for now and used the lens listed above, only thing is for 45/70 I will need to put a slot and rail system on the scope so it will slide forward upon firing, the eye relief I have is just to close..anyway if you tell them the power you want, eye relief, scope length and lens diameter they will figure out all the specs and lens size for you.
EMAIL this guy

Eric Herman (EHerman@edmundoptics.com)
« Last Edit: Jul 18th, 2009 at 3:50pm by »  

IP Logged

alemonkey

Reply #100 - Jul 26th, 2009 at 4:42pm
Print Post  
This may be a dumb question, but do the cells have to be made of brass?  Would aluminum work just as well?

IP Logged

dead_eye
Ex Member

Reply #101 - Jul 29th, 2009 at 4:33pm
Print Post  
That is not a dumb question. I don't see why you couldn't use aluminum. the reason for brass is traditional. You could use steel or plastic it is all up to the builder on what material is used.

Please Post Pictures For others to see what you have built. 

IP Logged

proud terrorist
Ex Member

Reply #102 - Aug 4th, 2009 at 3:40pm
Print Post  
it aint much but here's mine so far, I'm working on the bases now.
(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)
« Last Edit: Aug 6th, 2009 at 6:53pm by »  

IP Logged

alemonkey

Reply #103 - Aug 4th, 2009 at 7:00pm
Print Post  
That looks really nice made out of brass.  What did you use for the knurled sections?

IP Logged

proud terrorist
Ex Member

Reply #104 - Aug 4th, 2009 at 7:32pm
Print Post  
I used aluminum for cells, and brass for everything else, and 8-40 gun screws for all the screws

« Last Edit: Aug 7th, 2009 at 4:42pm by »  

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 11
Send TopicPrint