Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 11 Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) Scope Design (Read 99698 times)
40-65tom

Re: Scope Design
Reply #75 - Apr 16th, 2008 at 11:07am
Print Post  
Dead-eye
Very nice and much appreciated. The mounts seem to be the downside of making your own. The mounts that hold the scope rigid, don't seem like a good idea for something with a fair bit of recoil. The Fecker style won't have enough elevation to reach 500 meters with out stepped bases. 

Thanks again Tom

IP Logged

Redwing
Oldtimer

Reply #76 - Apr 16th, 2008 at 10:54pm
Print Post  
Hi All !!!

Well, here we go again !!! Time to educate the old man…

Now that Dead_Eye has opened up the world of building riflescopes, I have to ask:

If the same power can be achieved (from any length other than minimal), why would anyone build a thirty-inch something scope ?? 

Weight, cost, damage to mounts & barrel from excessive recoil, and more, but I think you get the drift. Is it purely "aesthetics" ??

Help me see the light !!!

Ed…..

IP Logged

rimfire
Ex Member

Reply #77 - Apr 19th, 2008 at 10:38pm
Print Post  
I have ask George Mitchell to check this thread out.
I do not know if he will or not but since he made over 300
of them before he retired from scope making - I sure he
probable has some helpfull hints up his sleeve.
the rimfire - cdpersons

IP Logged

dead_eye
Ex Member

Reply #78 - Apr 20th, 2008 at 10:10am
Print Post  
The reason that i made the scope 30" is to make a authentic looking scope for a 38 cal slug gun that is a copy of a billinghurst. I have plans for the scope mounts that should be on the gun. but by the time i made the jigs and machined all the parts it was cheaper to buy the bases. I think the next set that i will get will be 
(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)
this slide-able type ring that will help with reducing stress from the recoil of the gun.

IP Logged

Redwing
Oldtimer

Reply #79 - Apr 20th, 2008 at 12:41pm
Print Post  
Hey Dead-Eye !!!

Just some input to say what a fantastic job you have done with this subject. I just don’t want you to misunderstand our comments and questions on this thread, as it is with all topics of immense interest.

I like your new choice of mounts as I have been searching for a set of Mossberg #7’s for a project that been on the shelf for sometime, but can’t see spending the big bucks for the top of the line items. 

I wonder, as the long-range focus is determined by the length of the body and the position of the erector lens, when the sighting-in is done (when first locating the erector), that it must be done within the range of the proposed working distance (200, 400, 600 yds)?? This would make sense as the objective lens is not adjustable on these and all clarity depends on the location of the erector lens (to focus) and if done in a dark hallway, it may be too short for longer distance…

Thoughts ???

Ed…..

IP Logged

rimfire
Ex Member

Reply #80 - Apr 20th, 2008 at 5:22pm
Print Post  
Goerge Mitchell has taken a look at the thread - he is a private type of an individual and decided not to reply in person.  here was his reply to me:   

hi again
Looks just fine so far.  It will likely be a popular project
GM

as you can tell he is a man of few words.
just thought I would pass this along - the rimfire - cdpersons

IP Logged

dead_eye
Ex Member

Reply #81 - Apr 20th, 2008 at 10:20pm
Print Post  
Hi rimfire 
I met him at Friendship back in 1998 on the slug gun line. he made some great scopes, i whish i owned one. i am amazed at the bases that he made and would like to have a set for my unertl. I am honored that he has seen this thread and approved of what has been written so far.

Thanks rimfire for posting what Goerge Mitchell said about this subject.

IP Logged

dead_eye
Ex Member

Reply #82 - Apr 20th, 2008 at 10:38pm
Print Post  
hi redwing
i am trying to answer the questions that are asked as best as i can. I an glad that every one is injoying this subject and that there are people making one and seeing the pictures of their scopes when finished. 

There are a few types of bases that are avalable from malcolm for their scopes.

the length of the scope is what you would like to have on your gun. the erector is then layed out like i have explained earlier. i don't shoot that far my club only shoots to 200 yards. the scope workes fine to that distance i am not sure about any farther. if some one has built and shot over 200 yards with the scope i would like to know how it worked what kind of group that is shot.

for different distances the erector might have to be adjusted to clear it up and remove some paralex form the scope. this is one of the reasons that i said to set the light as far as possable from the end of the cells and to make things as dark as possable while this are being adjusted.

hope that helps
dead eye

IP Logged

rimfire
Ex Member

Reply #83 - Apr 21st, 2008 at 6:08am
Print Post  
dead_eye
George and his wife still are shooting on the slug gun line at Friendship.
He used micometer spindles for his windage and elevation adjustments.
quite a simple arrangement the way he put his click adjustments on them - not very compact but very effective - we are talking target type mounts here not hunting.  Glad that you have gotten to meet the gentleman.  You have a good day now - the rimfire - cdpersons

IP Logged

dead_eye
Ex Member

Reply #84 - Apr 28th, 2008 at 8:19am
Print Post  
OKIEPAWPAW did you get the bases for your scope yet?

IP Logged

Philip_Austin
Participating Member

Reply #85 - May 9th, 2008 at 1:37pm
Print Post  
Dead Eye,
I have been thinking about this exact project over the past few months!  I'm glad to find someone who knows what they are talking about.  Thanks so much for the information on finding the lenses at a reasonable price - the source I was talking to was running about $100 each.   I've got lenses and tubing on order and will give this a try.  Might have some questions for you once I get into it but this sounds great.    I had picked up some old fecker mounts that will go great on this for a trial.

Phil

IP Logged

dead_eye
Ex Member

Reply #86 - May 11th, 2008 at 12:06am
Print Post  
hi Phil
Good luck with your scope. Please keep us up to date with the progress of your scope and please include some pics. If you have any question please ask. 

thanks Grin
Dead eye

IP Logged

SteveC

Reply #87 - May 11th, 2008 at 1:22am
Print Post  
Dead_Eye,
   Thanks for all your posts. I just finished viewing your cross-hair video on YouTube. I've been trying to re-reticule an old Winchester 8x off and on for a month . I think I can get it done now. Just wanted to give you a big thanks.
                                                        Steve

IP Logged

dead_eye
Ex Member

Reply #88 - Jun 5th, 2008 at 12:44am
Print Post  
Hi SteveC
have you repaired your scope's cross hairs yet? I am glad this subject has helped you. I have enjoyed sharing this information with all the members of the forum and for anyone else that has read this.

dead eye

IP Logged

dead_eye
Ex Member

Reply #89 - Dec 18th, 2008 at 12:59am
Print Post  
i have finally added another you tube video on assembling the cells.
(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 11
Send TopicPrint