Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 11 Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) Scope Design (Read 99711 times)
proud terrorist
Ex Member

Re: Scope Design
Reply #105 - Aug 7th, 2009 at 4:48pm
Print Post  
here's a tip on the cross hairs, when you think you have one strand of floss, you are wrong !  even with magnifying glasses you can barely see one strand, it appears about the width of one strand from a spider web.

IP Logged

nuclearcricket
Oldtimer

Reply #106 - Sep 23rd, 2009 at 4:59am
Print Post  
Been re reading this thread a bit from time to time. This last time through  I noticed that several of you were going to purchase the book sporting rifles and scope sights. by Truman Henson. How is the book and how helpful do you feel it is? My interest is in building a scope on  the line of the Unertl Small Game Scope, would this book help?
The internet says that my local University has a copy in its library and I am going to try to see if I can get a look at it and maybe also hit one of the local book sellers to see if they may have a copy available.
Sam

IP Logged

mwhite49
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #107 - Jul 13th, 2011 at 9:40pm
Print Post  
Hi, I have been interested in these scope and would like to find out how they turned out for everyone. I just email Edmund for a lead on picking the correct lens for a 20X. And I'm not sure if the contact person is still working there as my email was given to another person and they are lost.
If I get any more info out of them I will pass it along.
Thanks
Mike

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links) ( 265 KB | Downloads )

IP Logged

Chuckster
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #108 - Jul 14th, 2011 at 11:10am
Print Post  
Mike,
20X is a pretty ambitious project. It will require at least an 1 1/2" objective (40mm) to get a reasonable exit pupil. (Objective diameter / magnification = exit pupil)

Working on a 6-7X, 3/4" x18" with Edmund lenses. Appears about medium quality. Getting some chromatic aberration (color fringes around the edge), which was expected with plain lenses. Has greatly increased my respect for optics designers.
Chuck

IP Logged

mwhite49
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #109 - Jul 14th, 2011 at 1:08pm
Print Post  
Hi Chuckster, Malcom and the other makers go 20x out of a 3/4 tube scope that was made in different lengths. I have an old junk Malcolm 18 inch model that I have apart, it was destroyed by an overabitious bubba who tried to remove the lens with a rod of some sort with out first removing the lens module retaining screws. Needles to say all of the lens are shot, cracked or missing. This one is marked #4 and that is not a 4 power, that has something to do with the grade/quality as I have seen in the original Malcom advertisments. And all of his lens sells are marked with small numbers from #1 on up, this one I think has 5 or 6 lens in it, and only the eye piece lens survived. This lens is an asperical one too. Malcolm was a pioneer in the use of anchromatic and asperical lens from what I have been reading up on. And I know that each tiem you add a lens it changes the math formaula. I have been working with a lady at Edmunds to get the right choices in lens.
Mike

IP Logged

BP
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #110 - Jul 14th, 2011 at 3:23pm
Print Post  
If my math is correct, with a 40mm objective at 20x, your exit pupil would be around 2mm, which would give you a surface brightness of around 10% (I think the brightness chart I have is for uncoated lenses).

If this is correct, you might get a pretty "dark" scope, compared to a lower power version. Some consider 2mm to be an optimum exit pupil size, but with older eyes, I personally like a "brighter" scope.

Just my two cents. 
« Last Edit: Jul 14th, 2011 at 3:55pm by BP »  

There are three kinds of men: The ones that learn by reading, the few who learn by observation, and the rest who have to pee on the electric fence and find out for themselves.
Proud Noodlehead

IP Logged

mwhite49
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #111 - Jul 14th, 2011 at 7:05pm
Print Post  
Hey BP, I know what you are saying, however from what I have been reading up on optics has really got me stumped on some items. I understand that the power is the FL of the Objective lens divided by the FL of the Occular lens = the power of the scope, however in our scopes because of the erector lens then it is the FL of the of the OB lens + the FL of the Eerector lens divided by the Occular lens gives the power. And the relative brightness of a scope say with a 6mm exit pupilwill have a relative brightness of 36, but studies has shown that the normal human eye has a maximum pupil size of of 7mm, and that normal viewing is reduced to an average of 2.5mm, so an exit any bigger than 7mm would in fact be worthless as our eyes would never know the differance at all. I got that out of Nick Strobels book on Old Gunsights and rifle scopes, he has a great section that really covers scope design and how the makers do it. But some of it is still way over my head. 
Mike.

IP Logged

mwhite49
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #112 - Jul 14th, 2011 at 8:19pm
Print Post  
I picked out 3 lens, one is a Plano 14mm X 279 FL objective, a Anchromat lens at 7.3 mm dia X 607.2 FL Erector lens, and a 14 mm dia X 42 mm Occular. This if I did the math correctly should be at a 21 power. 
Now this is using the cheap experimental lens but all grade 1. If I can get these in the better quality lens I will, but I will purchase the cheap lens to try it out first. The lady said I could always return them if needed.
Anyway, the math I used was the Oective FL + the Erector FL divided by the Occular FL. Anyway that was the way Strobels book described it. If this is not the correct way will someone let me know.
Thanks
Mike

IP Logged

frnkeore
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #113 - Jul 14th, 2011 at 9:10pm
Print Post  
I'm working with a 3/4 scope that has a ocular and then 3 more lens encased in a tube with spacers, it then has the X hairs and after that the objective. I would like to increase the power from 4 to 12. Do each of the lens have to be set so the focal length will correspond to the next len? i.e. 42 fl, next lens set at 42 from the first lens and so on. Would all the FL's in front of the ocular be added to the objective lens length to determine the power? And does the FL of the lens before the X hairs determine where the X hairs are placed?

Thanks for any help,

Frank

ASSRA Member #696, ISSA Member #339
YIMAIM  
IP Logged

BP
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #114 - Jul 15th, 2011 at 3:19am
Print Post  
Mike,

I didn't run your numbers but from my readings, I think your process is correct. If your erector lens doesn't magnify, add the additional focal length (out from both sides of the erector) to the objective focal length, and then divide that total by the ocular lens focal length.

There is a lens known as a Barlow that bends the light rays from the objective farther down the focal axis toward the ocular end of the tube extending the focal length of the objective lens, which increases magnification, and increases the scope length.

On the flip side, the collector lens appears to do the opposite of a Barlow, in that the collector bends the rays from the objective so that they converge sooner on the focal axis, which effectively shortens the focal length of the objective, decreasing magnification and allowing for a shorter scope tube length.

Frank,

I'm guessing that all of your lenses are double convex, with each lens having an equal focal length on each side of the lens (which means both sides are ground with the same curvature). I'm not saying that all the lenses have the same focal length. Let me know if I'm off track on your setup.

Anyway, the focal length of a lens is where all the light rays passing through the vertical axis of your lens, no matter what the distance above or below the horizontal center of the lens, will converge and cross the horizontal axis through your scope tube. The focal length is the distance from a lens to its focal point. You can put your cross-hairs at any focal point, though it's easier to repair the wires if you put them in front of the ocular lens extension.

The focal length of your 1st lens plus the focal length of your 2nd lens gives you the spacing between those two lenses, and so on.

Adding additional lenses will increase magnification, but each lens supposedly reduces light transmission to the next lens by about 4%. I haven't looked at the various coatings to see how that changes things.

There are three kinds of men: The ones that learn by reading, the few who learn by observation, and the rest who have to pee on the electric fence and find out for themselves.
Proud Noodlehead

IP Logged

RJM

Reply #115 - Jul 15th, 2011 at 7:04am
Print Post  
One of the most useful things about this thread is the suggestion of using dental floss for reticles. I've tried to use wire and my wife's hair for cross hairs with less than spectacular success. Dental floss has worked well on two scopes so far & gives nice fine cross hairs.

The last scope was a 1 1/2 Unertl that was labelled "$300 as is." Someone has taken off the objective & put their finger throught the cross wires, breaking one & bending the other. A hour after it followed me home, I had the wires replaced with strands of dental floss which are much finer than the original wires. Two other scopes beside it were $600, but unbroken reticles, so I figure I made $300 in that hour. What a deal!

Thanks, Dead-eye.

Regards, Ron

IP Logged

mwhite49
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #116 - Jul 15th, 2011 at 3:44pm
Print Post  
BP, I blew the math and now I can see that. I did not add the FL from both sides of the anchromat lens that I picked to use as an erector lens. I only used one side and I knew something looked off, but just could not put my finger on it. Thanks BP and now back to the math board. I know also that they used the anchromat lens in several positions on these scopes but I am not sure if they were OK as an erector lens. And your question about does the lens magnify or not? I thought all of these lens did magnify, I have the formula complemts of Edmonds to figure the magnification amount out but have not used it yet. 
Mike

IP Logged

BP
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #117 - Jul 15th, 2011 at 5:51pm
Print Post  
Mike, 

I'm being simplistic here, but if your anchromat lens flips the image from upside-down to right-side up, I've got to agree its acting as an erector. 

As far as my question about whether the lens (or set of lenses in a lens cell) magnifies or not, we all tend to think a lens gives a larger image. But take a quick look through your scope or binoculars from the wrong end and you'll see what I'm hinting at. Combining lenses can give some real interesting surprises. 

Like anything else, this optics stuff can be a mind-bender at times. But there's no reason we can't do whats been done before, with a couple mistakes along the way to keep us humble.    Wink

Hang in there!      Smiley

Proud Noodlehead

IP Logged

mwhite49
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #118 - Jul 16th, 2011 at 12:45am
Print Post  
Hey BP, here is what Anchor says about there lens type double convex.

(Double-Convex (DCX) Lenses are lenses which have two outward curved surfaces. Double-Convex Lenses have a positive focal length (FL) and will act as a magnifying or condensing lens.)
So this looks as though you can use this lens to magnify or reduce or condense, I think condense is a fancy word for reducing the magnification power, but I may be wrong.  I just found a copy of the scope building article that Rudi from the ASSRA archives mailed me out a couple of years ago. In that article it was stated that the erecto lens power should not be to high and the occular power the same thing, other wise it is a trade off in magnification and other things. Malcolm did it with more lens some how and maybe we can figure it out. I have read Malcoms deal on lens making and he said that lens shape and curvature was more importand than lens finish. And I aked an optical tech that question and they agreed. In the set of lens I have from my 18 inch long original Malcolm scope the brass lens holders and light traps are all screwed together in a very short arangement. The only lens that is not screwed into this mess of lenns is the Objective lens as it was setting way out in front.
Mike

IP Logged

frnkeore
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #119 - Jul 16th, 2011 at 2:21am
Print Post  
Does it make any differance what direct a DCX lense points? Can you measure the FL by focusing the lens on a object and measuring that distance with a scale?

Frank

ASSRA Member #696, ISSA Member #339
YIMAIM  
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 11
Send TopicPrint