Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2]  Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) Lo Wall 25-20ss (Read 14796 times)
MerwinBray
Oldtimer

Aw Gees

Re: Lo Wall 25-20ss
Reply #15 - Mar 9th, 2008 at 10:16am
Print Post  
Tenx,
Is Richard also know as RG Christensen? If so he is a good shooting friend of mine. This does sound like an idea he would have! I will do a search for the info. Do I have to make the dies or have them made, or are they available? Thanks once again, the 25-20ss and me have a love hate relation, I need all the consuelling I can get!
Merwin

Great Plains Precision Rifle Club

IP Logged

tenx
Senior Forum Member

Reply #16 - Mar 9th, 2008 at 3:01pm
Print Post  
Merwin,

We're probably talking about the same guy, but all I knew him by on BP-L was "Chris". I think he lives over in your neck of the woods so probably the same guy.

"Chris" gave me the general idea but the final dimensioning of the dies and how much the cases had to be altered before, during and after using the dies, we had to figure out for ourselves. IIRC he got the idea from someone else and neither had tried the idea out at the time.

You will have to make the two dies, or have them made. Nothing difficult about either of them. Just have to be held and polished to tolerances so they don't scratch the cases. Then it's just a question of reducing the case diam. in front of the rim, running them thru the dies, reducing the neck thickness, and putting them thru a FL die. A few more steps than that, but you get the idea.

Depending on the rim thickness of your chamber you might have to reduce that area to. I didn't have to but I understand there are "thin" & "thick" rims. Never saw a "thin" rimmed chamber so this might just be one of those old wives tales.

IP Logged

MerwinBray
Oldtimer

Aw Gees

Reply #17 - Mar 12th, 2008 at 7:54pm
Print Post  
tenx,
Yes, Chris is the guy. It is all his fault that I even know what schuetzen is!! 
About the thin and thick rims, I had made mention one time about making some "thin" rim cases for my maynard. I am not sure that there ever actually was such a thing. The reason for me wanting to do this is because I have a percussion converted frame that originally shot thin rim maynard cases after conversion. But, I have a much later 25-20ss barrel that uses the standard case. They almost close in the action but it is real tight. So a discussion started about making the thin rim 25-20ss case. Maybe that's where you heard that. We also discussed a "thick" rim case based on the same scenario but with an 1873 frame, the thick case maynards. all this thick and thin moves primer pockets, etc. 
I may see Chris this weekend, if not, I will in May at his shoot, I may pick his brain about cases. He has so many ideas.
Merwin

IP Logged

Green_Frog
Frequent Elocutionist

"It ain't easy being green"
ASSRA Life #281

Reply #18 - Mar 12th, 2008 at 10:08pm
Print Post  
M/B, yes there were thin and thick rimmed cases.  I have seen them.  I don't have any specs where I can lay my hands on them, but I believe the earlier ones had thinner rims than the later ones, so maybe that barrel of yours would probably benefit from some custom brass, and if you are making your own from .223 Military...   Wink

Talk to Chris and I think you may see the light at the end of the tunnel.  Just hope it's not an onrushing train!!  Grin

Froggie

IP Logged

tenx
Senior Forum Member

Reply #19 - Mar 12th, 2008 at 11:07pm
Print Post  
Merwin,

I first heard of "Thick" & "Thin" rims when I ordered cases from the old GainTwist outfit that was the predecessor of the current RMC Co. They asked me which I needed, which was a new idea to me at the time. I'm glad Froggie cleared up the idea that both actually do exist.

So.... Ol' Chris is still alive? Bet it must be getting close to 10 yrs. since we last "talked" on the BP-L Forum...... which I wonder if it's still in existence.

IP Logged

MerwinBray
Oldtimer

Aw Gees

Reply #20 - Mar 15th, 2008 at 9:00am
Print Post  
Froggie & tenx,
It is good to know about the 2 different rims, I never knew that, or I forgot if someone told me, that happens. It would be interesting to know the difference. I may call RMC and talk to Dave and see if he can tell me once I am closer to finishing the gun. I cannot remember if the 25-20ss cases I first bought were from RMC or if it was still Gain Twist. They didn't ask me about rim either way.
Yup, Chris is VERY alive. He is the Schuetzenmeisterat the Thurmont shoot in MD. He shoots midrang, long range, a 200 meter off hand BRCR match, goes to RATON often, gallery matches. I don't know when he eats he shoots so much! I have know him for just over 10 years and I don't think he has changed. If you get the journal there is a pic in one of the current issues of Froggies match. It has a bunch of us shooters, Chris is there, too! Thanks agian, Guys, for the info.
Merwin

IP Logged

tenx
Senior Forum Member

Reply #21 - Mar 15th, 2008 at 9:21am
Print Post  
Merwin,

You're welcome for the info. That's what we're all here for!

Surprised that you weren't told about the rim thickness issue. I can't recall either whether it was the guy at GainTwist or Dave at RMC who told me about it. I didn't know the difference but was told if the cases didn't work out to send them back and they'd send me the other size.

Speaking of you putting your .25/20SS together. Dave does do gunsmithing to. I sent him a 44 1/2 action that my buddy put a thru bolt in to him and he fitted and chambered a barrel for .28/30 for me.

Thanks for the info on Chris. Will have to look his picture up. Never did know what he looked like.

IP Logged

MerwinBray
Oldtimer

Aw Gees

Reply #22 - Mar 15th, 2008 at 9:27am
Print Post  
tenx,
Dave did the work on my 44.5 as well. He installed a green mt. barrel and chambered for 38-55 for me. That is the other barrel on the gun. the 25 is the original barrel.
If you don't know what Chris looks like, the names aren't listed. If I remember right he is in the front row, white hair, moustach, can't remember if he had his shooting glasses on. Ya know, I think I just described half the people in the pic. I would have to find my issue and count the people to be sure!
Merwin

IP Logged

tenx
Senior Forum Member

Reply #23 - Mar 15th, 2008 at 4:12pm
Print Post  
Merwin,

Well, let me know which one Chris is. Now you've got my interest up I won't rest easy till I know.  Smiley And I likes to rest easy!!!

How come we don't see him on here anyway. He always seemed to know what he was talking about...... most of the time. Smiley I'll bet if you ask him he'll tell you me and him agreed to disagree several times. He was quite vocal on the BP-L so it's surprising we don't hear from him on here. He was very opinionated, but then so was/am I.

IP Logged

MerwinBray
Oldtimer

Aw Gees

Reply #24 - Mar 15th, 2008 at 8:26pm
Print Post  
tenx, 
I will look it up and count people for you. From what I understand, Chris doesn't have a home PC, I guess he uses the one at work. This does jive with the responses I get from him on email, always during normal working hours, though he is semi retired. He does have his opinions, and when he tells me something that is largely theory that I try and doesn't pan out, he is quick to either tell me what I did wrong or to point out, it was only theory. All with a smile! But mostly, they work! I still haven't got the bullet lube formula to work for me, he loses me at the part where I have to dry my shaved soap in an oven or it foams real bad upon melting, mine always foams! Something about sterate?
I am greatful to know him.
MerwinBray

IP Logged

Green_Frog
Frequent Elocutionist

"It ain't easy being green"
ASSRA Life #281

Reply #25 - Mar 15th, 2008 at 9:07pm
Print Post  
Hey M-B, for a small fee, I'll whisper the secret formula to Frog Guano Lube in your ear!  Maybe I can swap it for some additional N-SSA info I've gotta learn.  Wink

froggie

IP Logged

MerwinBray
Oldtimer

Aw Gees

Reply #26 - Mar 17th, 2008 at 8:23pm
Print Post  
Sounds like a deal!  Wink

IP Logged

henpeckedmuch
Ex Member

Reply #27 - Apr 11th, 2008 at 12:36am
Print Post  
   Merwin I wish I had known about your too tight of headspace 25-20ss Maynard barrel. We may have been able to work out a trade as I had one that had to much head space on my 1882 Maynard and it has been at Romano's now since last fall getting fixed. He is also making me a 38-55 barrel for the 82. But, he is slow to the extream.
   I still think head space can be adjusted using the front lug and lock up linkage on your Maynard. On the percussion Maynards when we want to tighen them up we squeze the  lock up linkage (the L shaped thing with holes in either end ) together some.  It would seem if you increaced the depth of the front barrel lug. (The one that fits into the main pivit pt at the front of your receiver) And if nessessary opened up the lock up linkage a little you would be in business. 
   I have shot smokeless in my maynard but don't have the info in front of me at the moment. I do remember that I used 7.5 grs of Herc 2400 and the fps was around 1300fps at 17300 cup, but can't remember much else.  The over sized headspace was giving me problems even with that load swelling the case next to the receiver so of course I had to stop till I had the problem fixed. But I wasn't seeing any other problems. Also I loaded for a friend H4227 7.5gr approx 1300fps and 19200cup he shot it in his 44 1/2 and had no problems. it appeared to be a very light load. I hope this helps ---Don

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 
Send TopicPrint