Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2  Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) Lo Wall 25-20ss (Read 14782 times)
wislnwings
Participating Member

Lo Wall 25-20ss
Mar 6th, 2008 at 9:56am
Print Post  
I have a Winchester lo wall in .25-20ss that was built in 1904.  My question is, would you recommend shooting smokeless loads in this rifle or should I shoot blackpowder only loads?  Or can I shoot either?  I have not shot the rifle yet but do plan to reload for it.

IP Logged

wwben47
Ex Member

Re: Lo Wall 25-20ss
Reply #1 - Mar 6th, 2008 at 10:43am
Print Post  
Actually Wisin you should do neither..You should send it to me for safety testing during spring gobbler season. Wink

IP Logged

jeffer1942
Senior Forum Member
ASSRA Target Sales

Reply #2 - Mar 6th, 2008 at 11:05am
Print Post  
First thing I would do is have a gunsmith go over the rifle to make sure it is ok fire.

The rifle can easily be reloaded and shot with either smokless or black, however, today it is mainly used with smokeless (eg. 8gr.wt of IMR4227 with an 86 gr.bullet would be a good starting point).  Accuracy is excellent out to 200 yards and with the proper load/bullet combination you could expect 1/2 - 3/4" groups at 100 yds and 1 1/2 - 2 " at 200 depending on the conditions.

Brass is easy to come by, though not inexpensive as are reloading dies from Buffalo Arms.

As for Black powder, the problem would be with fouling in the small bore which would require cleaning between shots.  I personally do not know anyone who shoots black in a .25.

This is a fun round to shoot, accurate and with minimal recoil and noise.
Good Luck

IP Logged

wislnwings
Participating Member

Reply #3 - Mar 6th, 2008 at 11:05am
Print Post  
Sorry but I'm trying to get it ready for some spring gobbler trips of my own.  I've never shot a turkey with a rifle (only longbow and shotgun) but the turkey woods seem to be calling out to this rifle.

IP Logged

tenx
Senior Forum Member

Reply #4 - Mar 6th, 2008 at 11:18am
Print Post  
Wings,

Sure! Go ahead and use it on Turkeys with either smokeless or black. Wish we could use rifles on Turkeys here in Iowa as I think it would be a blast to shoot one using BP. It'll also make a real nice varmint gun to if that's on your agenda.

One of my .25SS is in a Low Wall and I haven't had a bit of problem with it other than the quality of the commercial brass that was available several years ago. I make my own now so can't tell you if the quality has improved any since then.

As mentioned earlier...... Since you haven't shot it, it would be best to have a gunsmith go over it to be sure it's in decent shape. I haven't seen one that wasn't, but you never know.

Have fun and let us know if you get a Turkey with it.

IP Logged

38_Cal
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #5 - Mar 6th, 2008 at 3:02pm
Print Post  
Yep, we can't use rifles on turkeys, but the rules don't say we can't use .50BMG on tree squirrels!    Shocked Grin  Go figure!

David
Montezuma, IA

David Kaiser
Montezuma, IA

IP Logged

tenx
Senior Forum Member

Reply #6 - Mar 6th, 2008 at 10:26pm
Print Post  
David,

Head shots only tho!

IP Logged

38_Cal
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #7 - Mar 6th, 2008 at 10:59pm
Print Post  
Yep!  Head shots only!   Grin  I think I'll rebarrel my crumbling block single shot pistol for it... Roll Eyes

David
Montezuma, IA

David Kaiser
Montezuma, IA

IP Logged

MerwinBray
Oldtimer

Aw Gees

Reply #8 - Mar 7th, 2008 at 8:53am
Print Post  
WOuld the general agreement be to use only black in an original maynard in 25-20ss? I have asked this before and I think most say so. The one I have isn't ready to go yet. One of my hang ups is it is a converted percussion model NOT done by the factory and the firing pin hole is large. Is it safe to shoot BP loads with this situataion in a 25ss? It makes me a little nervous. Not keen on gasses in my face.
Merwin

Great Plains Precision Rifle Club

IP Logged

Green_Frog
Frequent Elocutionist

"It ain't easy being green"
ASSRA Life #281

Reply #9 - Mar 7th, 2008 at 9:29am
Print Post  
Jon, 

How about making up a few of the "super strength" .25-20 SS cases out of modified .223 cases to use for the purpose of shooting smokeless, especially in your .25-20 SS Stevens.  The Maynard would be a little iffy in my mind even for the relatively mild .25-20.  JMHO, of course!  BTW, drop me an e-mail and we can continue this discussion about our personal Maynard concerns if you wish.

Regards,
Froggie

IP Logged

MerwinBray
Oldtimer

Aw Gees

Reply #10 - Mar 7th, 2008 at 6:22pm
Print Post  
Enlighten me on the .223 case idea! Is this easier than turning a complete case and just boring the inside straight? I have considered trying this to give me a reduced cap case and give me more cases, but then SOMEONE helped me out with my case quantity issue!! Cool I am also toying with turning a "thin rimmed" case for my percussion/1882 barrel lock up issues. An experiment that gets me more time at the lathhe, which I need!
Merwin

I will try to email this weekend about the maynards

IP Logged

tenx
Senior Forum Member

Reply #11 - Mar 7th, 2008 at 8:38pm
Print Post  
Merwin,

Once you have the necessary dies made and your lathe set up it's easier to make .25/20SS cases from .223 cases than to turn one down from brass rod. I started making them from commercial Rem. brass, but my friend found the military stuff is better.

IP Logged

MerwinBray
Oldtimer

Aw Gees

Reply #12 - Mar 8th, 2008 at 6:15pm
Print Post  
tenx,
Is the procedure written somewhere?
Merwin

IP Logged

tenx
Senior Forum Member

Reply #13 - Mar 9th, 2008 at 8:31am
Print Post  
Merwin,

Yes. I've posted the instructions on a coupla Forums, including here, if I'm not mistaken. If a search doesn't turn it up leave me a PM and I'll send the instructions on what you need to do. Nothing complicated about it.

As far as I know I was the first one to get the dies made up and actually make them from .223 brass. I got the idea from Richard Christensen on the old BP-L Forum, altho he claimed he'd never made any so couldn't say if it could be done. With some wiggling of the directions he sent it does!

I've sent sent the instructions to several people who wanted to try it out but never heard if they'd given it a try. I made up 300 (lifetime supply  Smiley ) for myself, and my buddy, who made the dies, has made up all ( I think) of the ones used in our club.

IP Logged

Brent
Ex Member

Reply #14 - Mar 9th, 2008 at 9:39am
Print Post  
Pete, I think most of the cases we were using, and for sure all of mine were made with 222 Rem.  I suspect that was the early edition, are the .223s better?

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 
Send TopicPrint