Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 3  Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) MARTINI project (Read 22235 times)
charlie nz
Ex Member

MARTINI project
Mar 1st, 2008 at 3:55pm
Print Post  
Iam planning to build a 30 cal cast bullet rifle on the small Martini action,I need some advice regarding a suitable cartridge case to base this project on .The case must be rimmed,easily obtainable and have enough powder space to give a 180 grain lead alloy bullet 1600 fps with sensible loads that will not create extaction problems.
Thankyou for letting me use this marvellous forum.
Charlie nz

IP Logged

fallingblock
ASSRA Board Member

Re: MARTINI project
Reply #1 - Mar 1st, 2008 at 4:05pm
Print Post  
I have built one 30-30 1.5"on a cadet and it was very pleasant to shoot and quite accurate. Never tried to get that much velocity but used 4759 and about 1400 fps.
The cases are very heavy and     extraction was very easy. At one time I think in Precision Shooting Meryl Martin had a few articles about his use of the short 30-30.
Cheers,
fallingblock

Cheers,
Laurie
ASSRA Secretary & Archivist

IP Logged

mdeland
Ex Member

Reply #2 - Mar 1st, 2008 at 4:26pm
Print Post  
  I made up a case for my cadet from 357 maximum hulls. The rifle came with a galled chamber that I could not see before buying. I profiled the case just like a 40-65 Win. , made a reamer and recut the chamber. It will easily hold 30 grains of 3F behind th 120 grain cadet heeled bullet or 13.5 grains of H 110. The latter is my favorite load that I have not chronographed yet but guess it to be in the 1500-1600 fps range. I added a set of aperture sights made for it by Parker-Hale and it is one of my favorite little rifles. I use it in our winter clang-n-bang matches for chickens at 50 meters and pigs at 100. It will reliably knock them off without breaking the steel like the heavy calibers tend to. MD

IP Logged

MartiniBelgian
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #3 - Mar 2nd, 2008 at 8:14am
Print Post  
Something like .30 Herrett?  30-20 would be a little small for 1600 fps, even when breechseating.

IP Logged

Flatlander
Oldtimer

Reply #4 - Mar 2nd, 2008 at 10:41am
Print Post  
mdeland:
  Sounds to me like you re-invented the 30-30 Wesson?

NRA Life
ASSRA Member 3197
Charcoal Burner

IP Logged

mdeland
Ex Member

Reply #5 - Mar 2nd, 2008 at 12:35pm
Print Post  
I don't know what a 30 Wesson looks like so it could be. The reason I chose the  maximum case is because of the  small 3/4 inch barrel shank diameter and wanted more barrel wall thickness around the case than would be provided by a 30-30 hull.
  I have heard of these chambered in 32-40 but I feel that is really to big a case for this action size to be safe and practical. Just my opinion. 
   I made a sizing die from the chamber reamer as well. Being that the whole case is on a taper except for the neck I just kept trimming the base of the die off until the case could be run into it far enough to full length resized properly.  Works really well and have not lost a case yet. I'll need to get out the chronograph to see for sure how fast it is really going but it sure makes a healthy crack with either load. MD

IP Logged

Paul_Skvorc
Ex Member

Reply #6 - Mar 18th, 2008 at 2:52am
Print Post  
Two that come to mind are the .30-40 Krag and the .303 British. If either are longer than you want, both could be shortened. Another is the .44-40 necked to .308-ish. I assume "nz" means New Zealand, so .303 British cases should be readily available, and ".308-ish" means .308, .309, .310, .311... for bullets.  I have a Collath Drilling that uses the .44-40 case necked down a bit. (Collath had a genuinely unique view of the world.)

Doing some quick cartridge design in QuickLoad, I can make a .30/.44-40 Win case that will push a 180-grain Lyman to 1600 using 18.2 (100% of case capacity) grains of X2495 while only producing a little over 17,000 PSI chamber pressure. Using 18.4 grains of ADI AR 2208 you can still have the 1600 f/s but the pressure goes up to about 21,778 PSI - which is still fine for the Martini.

Keep in mind these are simply 'paper-whipped' numbers useful for getting an idea where one might start. It would be unwise to treat these numbers as "gospel".

Paul

IP Logged

MartiniBelgian
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #7 - Mar 18th, 2008 at 4:45am
Print Post  
Paul,

Most of these rounds would be too big at the base for the little cadet for comfort - and the cadet would prefer a rimmed round too...

IP Logged

Paul_Skvorc
Ex Member

Reply #8 - Mar 18th, 2008 at 11:22am
Print Post  
MartiniBelgian,

The three cartridges I mentioned have head diameters that aren't much larger than the suggested .30-30. The dimensins are:

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . Rim . . . . . Head
.310 Cadet . . . . . . . .0.410" . . .0.355"
.30-30 Winchester . . 0.502" . . . 0.413"
.30-40 Krag . . . . . . .0.511" . . . 0.450"
.303 British . . . . . . . 0.520" . . . 0.455"
.44-40 Win. CF . . . . .0.505" . . . 0.453"

As you can see, all of the cases mentioned are of the rimmed variety. Smiley The ones I suggested are all about 0.040" larger in head diameter that the .30-30 Win which was, I assumed, acceptable. I acknowledge readily that increasing head diameter by 0.1" (over the Cadet) is "large", but not unheard of. If a head diameter of say 0.450" (or even 0.410") is too large for the Cadet action, then it seems the Cadet cartridge is likely the best choice among a very small selection of suitable cases, none of which will launch a 180-grain .30 caliber bullet at muzzle velocities approaching 1600 f/s. Remember, chamber pressures can easily be kept in the low 20s with any of these cases, and still reach MVs of 1600 f/s.

I see that the max chamber pressure for the .310 Cadet, according to the CIP, is 16,000 PSI. If this low value is a function of the strength of the action, there's no "fixing" that. If on the other hand, it is a function of accomodating the Cadet cartridge, which I think was of balloon construction, then I suspect that chamber pressures in the low 20s would be fine.

What I don't know about the Cadet action would fill volumes. However, I purchased an 1879 Martini-Enfield chambered in .22/.30-30 that pushed a 45-grain bullet over 4500 f/s. The estimated chamber pressure was well over 60,000 PSI. While Im not advocating abusing an old action in this way (I rechambered mine to .50-90 not long after I got it), clearly Martini actions are strong. At least Martini-Enfield ones are.

I'm not trying to talk anyone into anything. On the contrary, I don't particularly care for 'pushing' old actions around. But, if you want 1600 f/s from a 180-grain bullet and a case 1.5" long, your going to HAVE to make it bigger around if you want to keep pressures down. There are no ballistic free lunches.

Paul
« Last Edit: Mar 18th, 2008 at 11:44am by »  

IP Logged

J.D.Steele
Ex Member

Reply #9 - Mar 18th, 2008 at 12:59pm
Print Post  
Some additions, but first two caveats: I've built a few Cadets over the years but am still learning 'cause there's a lot there to learn; and I personally have a long & checkered history of pushing the envelope with mechanical things including single shots.

Now down to opinions. First, IMO the Cadet is perfectly safe with any load in a 30-30 or 30-40 or 303 case head size IF and only IF the pressures are kept below 40K psi. Naturally the larger size will cause the barrel tenon to swell at a lower pressure, but 40K psi has proven perfectly safe with the 44 Magnum (0.457") in many, many custom Cadets of my acquaintance. BTW the 44-40 case is both noticeably larger in diameter and also much weaker than the 44 Magnum case and IMO shouldn't be loaded beyond ~30K psi in a Cadet.

Second, any load above 40K psi in any size case will require that the firing pin nose be bushed to a much smaller diameter, preferably under 1/16", and smaller is better. Cases with SR primers appear to be worse offenders in this area than cases with LR primers. The problem is due to the primer cratering & thereby making the primary extraction very difficult, effectively jamming the rifle. The knee-jerk reaction of most folks would be to install a stronger mainspring but this is not the optimum solution and can cause safety issues; much better IMO to bush the block.

For reference, I own Cadets in 219 Improved Zipper and 224 R-C Maxi; my friend George the Knifemaker owns Cadets in 44 Magnum (2), 357 Herrett, 30-30, 30 Herrett, 25-35 Ackley Improved, 218 Mashburn Bee and several more. The above opinions are a distillation of both our experiences with Cadets over the years along with some other folks' reports. Just remember that these opinions are worth every penny of what they cost ya, and draw your own conclusions.
Good luck, Joe

IP Logged

MartiniBelgian
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #10 - Mar 18th, 2008 at 2:09pm
Print Post  
I personally would limit myself to the .30-30 case head - not because of action strength, as the Cadet is amply strong - but because of barrel tenon size.  This limits it in case head size.  The action will handle a hotrod like 5.6 x 50R without problems, but - again - it is a small head. 5.6 x 50R wildcatted to .30 would probably work fine. There are more than enough options in the smaller case heads to reach the desired specs, like using the .357 max case as a base.
FWIW, I own a cadet action chambered for .38-40, but barrel wall thickness at the chamber end is rather 'slim', so I only use moderate loads in this rifle.

IP Logged

Paul_Skvorc
Ex Member

Reply #11 - Mar 18th, 2008 at 3:08pm
Print Post  
Nice to have input from someone that has first-hand experience with 'pushing things around a bit'.

Also, it's nice to see some real-life examples of pressure - 40k plus - for the Cadet action.

I have just a question or two, and let me restate that I'm neither arguing nor am I trying to convince anyone of anything. I just like to be clear on specifics when the mode of communication is written.

Actual case dimensions for a .44 Mag and .44-40 WCF cases I have in hand are: 0.457" and 0.514" for the head and rim for the .44 Mag, and 0.453"and 0.505" for the .44-40 WCF. In that light, I'm not following
Quote:
BTW the 44-40 case is both noticeably larger in diameter...

Could you clear that up for me please?

Also, regarding strength, you'll get no argument from me that the 44 Mag case is stronger than the older .44-40 cases, but I'm not sure that's the situation with newer manufactured cases, but it certainly might be. Nonetheless, it's moot as the the .30/.44-40 case can theoretically drive a .30 caliber 180-grain bullet at 1600 f/s while keeping chamber pressures below 25k. In fact, most likely well below 25k. So keeping a .30/.44-40 case "below 30k" is easy while retaining the 1600 f/s critereon. As a side note, I drive the .44-40 cases I use in the aforementioned Collath to well over 30k, and have no problems.

Quote:
There are more than enough options in the smaller case heads to reach the desired specs, like using the .357 max case as a base.
Really? I'm surprised. With respect to the .357 Max case, I can't get that case (paper-whipping here, not real-life tests), to drive a .30 caliber 180 to 1600 f/s AND keep the pressures nearly as low as I can with the larger-headed cases. And there's the point I am really headed for:

Let's assume that the action is not the 'issue' in the context of back-thrust, but rather in the context of chamber pressure - which occurs in "all directions". (Again I want to make sure no one gets the impression that I'm trying to talk anyone into anything.) The 'worry' is then, that the pressure that the cartridge will exert on the walls of the thinned barrel tenon will be excessive. Given that 'worry', why would one choose to use a smaller case that requires at least a 20% increase in chamber pressure to reach the desired 1600, f/s MV with a 180-grain bullet, when a larger headed case will in fact reduce the pressure on the (albeit thinner) chamber walls?

Without doing the complete math, I can't say for sure where the 'tip-over' point is, but there is a point below which increased head diameter, with its associated thinning of the chamber wall, is actually less "stressful" on the action than a smaller case head, with its associated thicker chamber walls, but significantly higher pressure.

Again, not trying to convince anyone of anything, rather just posing questions - not rhetorical ones - and pointing to some internal ballistic realities. Thank goodness there's plenty of room for all sorts of 'wiggling'. Otherwise we'd all be shooting .30-06s. Shocked

I'm sure your final choice will result in a 'fun' gun, and I look forward to hearing more about the project.

Paul
« Last Edit: Mar 18th, 2008 at 4:39pm by »  

IP Logged

J.D.Steele
Ex Member

Reply #12 - Mar 18th, 2008 at 3:52pm
Print Post  
Paul, I agree with much of what you say. However I have several areas of concern.

44-40 case head dimension in COTW is 0.471" while the 44RM is 0.457". My new unfired Winchester (NOS 1980s) factory 44-40 cartridges measure 0.462" and will not chamber in any 44Mag or Special I own. Sectioning a new 44-40 case and a 44RM case might put some new colors in both our paint boxes but I haven't done it.

The initial post asked about loads that would not create extraction problems; IMO this automatically eliminates the high-pressure loads in the 357/223-size size (like the 32-357 Dell) because of primer cratering and primary extraction issues. I personally would consider a shortened 30-30 case (instead of a 357 Max) or even a full-length tight-chambered std 30-30.
JMO, Joe

IP Logged

MartiniBelgian
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #13 - Mar 18th, 2008 at 3:58pm
Print Post  
Well - rather simple really.  the small-head cases will still be safe at their max. pressure limit in the action and with the small barrel tenon, but with the larger cases, you always run the risk of someone trying to get to the limits of the case, which in this case will be exceeding the barrel tenon's limits.  No such danger with e.g. a case based on .357 max or 5.6 x 50R, that cadet action itself will withstand those higher pressures.
Pressure in itself  won't be the issue, but barrel wall thickness will be.  Push that .44-40 case to 50,000 psi, and I wouldn't be wanting to stand next to you...
That 25,000 limit is of no consequence for the action itself, it will easily hold a lot more (like 50,000, if the firing pin is bushed) - provided the barrel walls are able to.  and that is the weak point of using the larger dia. cases, you are actually creating a weak spot where none was.  I'm not saying you will, but someone might at a later stage - just because they can, and because there are loading data for that case or round to that pressure level which could well be an issue with such thin chamber walls.
If I were to do your project, I would keep head size down to 30-30, which would give more of a safety margin.  Never mind the final round will develop more pressure, that is of no consequence for this action.  That self-imposed 25,000 psi limit is of no real use here, you can easily go higher - but only with certain case heads.  even 0.05 of extra steel at the chamber end will add to quite a bit more safety margin.  and even if you have to run a .357 max basic case at 30,000 or 35,000, that won't be an issue. FWIW, on a 38-40 cadet, you can even see some brass peeping over the top of the block with the action closed...
I believe pressure tests on the cadet action proved that the 1st thing to give way is the barrel tenon/receiver ring.  The rest usually will hold up quite well.
To summarize:  even a full-pressure or overload on a small-head case will not cause any damage or problems (except the obvious problems like ruptured primers, sticky cases etc.) - but it could happen with a case with a larger head...    Your objective can be reached in a safer way  - albeit with higher pressure - by using a smaller case head size.

IP Logged

Paul_Skvorc
Ex Member

Reply #14 - Mar 18th, 2008 at 4:37pm
Print Post  
J.D. Steele

I erred when I used the term "nominal" to describe those .44-40 WCF and .44 Mag case dimensions, and I'll edit the post to reflect the correct description.

Checking both Donnely's Handloader's Manual of Cartridge Conversions, and Howell's Designing and Forming Custom Cartridges, I see they both list 0.471" and 0.525" as the nominal values for the head and rim dimensions of the .44-40 WCF case. Larger considerably, as you said, than the "nominal" dimensions of the .44 Mag.

The dimensions I gave are actual measurements of cases I have in hand as they come out of my Lee resizer for the .44-40 WCF and RCBS dies for the .44 Mag. 

You've piqued my interest in the differnces between the cases. Cool I'm off to section a couple of case heads. I'll post pictures when I get them.

Paul

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 3 
Send TopicPrint