Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 2 [3]  Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) MARTINI project (Read 22245 times)
Singleshotlover
Oldtimer

Re: MARTINI project
Reply #30 - Mar 27th, 2008 at 12:53am
Print Post  
MD, saw somewhere that they regularly shoot the little cadet out to 100,200,and 300yds. I have all the "makins" of a complete cadet. Another project. Another time. I would like to get this one going as soon as time and money permit. But being retired and on social security with two daughters in college don't leave much for toys. Thanks,regardsFrank

Singleshotlover

IP Logged

MartiniBelgian
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #31 - Mar 27th, 2008 at 3:29am
Print Post  
FWIW, I regularily shoot an original 310 cadet in both offhand and prone competition for historic arms, and I can attest to its accuracy - at least out to 200.  These are delightfully accurate little rifles, extremely versatile too.  The main limitations are  rifle weight/size and the sights - you need good eyes. I also use mine regularily for offhand, it will shoot whatever I can hold, and then some...

IP Logged

Fred Boulton
Oldtimer

Reply #32 - Mar 27th, 2008 at 9:21am
Print Post  
I agree totally with MartiniBelgium. I have been shooting the 310 cadet calibre for more than 10 years now and have won many comps against modern calibre. Up to 200 yds there is nothing better. Both my 310s have BSA no8 aperture sights fitted and this does make a slight difference.
Fred.

IP Logged

Singleshotlover
Oldtimer

Reply #33 - Mar 31st, 2008 at 12:49am
Print Post  
Tom and others. Have three scopes that are possible canadates for the martini project. 10x  lyman junior targetspot. Does not have the recoil spring assembly installed on it. I use it mostly fooling around with my rem 513T. The second would be a redfield 3200 in 20x with 1/4 min dot. and the third would be my nikon 6.5x20 thats currently on my 40x in 308. Methinks the nod would go to either of the last two by virtue of having bases installed for the 3200 or trying to figure out what base or mount that could be used with the nikon. So any suggestions, comments would be most welcome. By the way, this will be an off the bench gun. No offhand for me. Regards Frank

Singleshotlover

IP Logged

J.D.Steele
Ex Member

Reply #34 - Mar 31st, 2008 at 9:58am
Print Post  
First, many thanks to Paul_Skvorc for his(your) detailed measurement and reporting of case dimensions. It appears that the recent 44-40 brass is stronger than I thought.

Second, in my own Cadet odyssey I've found that the smaller 3/4" scopes allow lower mounting and better access for loading/unloading. A large 1" tube requires a higher mount for loading access and this usually means a high comb for cheek support. A high comb means restricted access for cleaning since the comb is in the way.

On my last Cadet I calculated the maximum comb height that would still allow a straight shot for the cleaning rod, and then stocked the rifle to match. The resultant comb height is ideal for my Unertl 1" Target scope mounted normally but is still a little low for a 1" scope (that's necessarily mounted a little higher for breech access).

But everyone's face shape is different.
Good luck, Joe

IP Logged

gungadoug
Ex Member

Reply #35 - Mar 31st, 2008 at 3:40pm
Print Post  
I think you need to contact Vic at martini.rifles@cox.net. He's in NE, and VERY knowledgable about small Martini's, and a cartridge called the 30-20-- a 30 cal 32-20. Very accurate, etc. Vic is a heck of a nice guy, but deaf, so responds best to email.
                Doug

IP Logged

GMos
Ex Member

Reply #36 - Apr 3rd, 2008 at 2:25am
Print Post  
I am working with Charlie from NZ, working out the best possible case to drive 30 caliber Eagan bullets in a small Martini.
I have read all replies, and I would like to thank people for their input.
Charlie and I are very likely to order a reamer within a month or so, after deciding to base the case on the 357 Maximum.
Is it feasible to have a reamer made that could be used to short chamber a barrel to utilize the 357 Magnum case as well as well as driving it to full 357 maximum length?
I personally have absolutely no knowledge of pistol cases.
As an aside I will add a little history of the small Martinis in New Zealand. When I began smallbore yarget shooting in the early 1960's the model 12/15 was the rifle in my clubs gunsafe and used in club matches by members who did not personally own a 22 Traget rifle. At that time the older members, who owned  a rifle had either the BSA international mark two, if they were well to do, or maybe were still in possession of a mark One international, and maybe dreaming of a mark two. The essential difference was weight of pull. As I recall the Mark one had a 3ib pull, but I could shoot posssibles on the target of the day. 
The foirst bolt action target rifle I personally saw was a 1960's version model 54 Anschutz. They were rare.
Prior to the Model 12/15 was the model 12. The 12/15 had a pistol grip stock and slightly heavier fore-end. The rear aperture sight went though development as well. I do not know the history of its develoment but would like to.
I have a vague idea that I read that the British created the Martini Cadet as a training rifle around the turn of the 19th and 20th centuries, and further, found a great deal of interest in rifle shooting after the great war, which lead to development of the rimfire model 12, and the modifaction resulting in the 12/15, thence the International series.
This may not be highly accurate information. 
In the 1950's one could go to town and walk off the streeet into a gallery and shoot 4 shots for a shilling, about US 10 cents ( a dime?), through a model 12. I just loved that. The dingy hall reaked of 22 smoke!
We are hugely familiar with seeing Martinis, but not necessarily converting them to other purposes.
Should anyone be so interested I could try to photograph a model 12 and 12/15 side by side to show the differences in neqr original condition rifles.

IP Logged

MartiniBelgian
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #37 - Apr 3rd, 2008 at 2:37am
Print Post  
GMos,
I think someone beat you to it - check out this website for all possible BSA, Greener and other variants of cadets and other 'miniature club' rifles: (You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)
I don't have the case specs with me, but provided it is a straight round, I don't see why it wouldn't be possible to use it for .357 mag - but only if you also have a rim cutter, of course...  Existing rounds on this case would be 30-30 Wesson and 30-40 Wesson (and some others, I'm sure) - I know that CH4D has 30-30 Wesson dies in its range...

IP Logged

xxgrampa
Ex Member

Reply #38 - Apr 3rd, 2008 at 4:31am
Print Post  
hey martimi b,

that was a great site... thank you very, very much..

tt.g

IP Logged

MartiniBelgian
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #39 - Apr 3rd, 2008 at 5:30am
Print Post  
Esteemed double X, you're welcome - and I hope to have in a few months one of those Parker-Hale Dewar rifles in my posession...

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 2 [3] 
Send TopicPrint