Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 3  Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) MARTINI project (Read 22256 times)
38_Cal
Frequent Elocutionist

Re: MARTINI project
Reply #15 - Mar 18th, 2008 at 9:08pm
Print Post  
Personally, I would go with 30 Herrett if you want a bit more case capacity than 32-20.  Reamers and dies are readily available, the parent case is 30-30, and you don't have to worry about hot loaded factory loads inadvertently being used in it...there are none.  Load data is usually listed for lighter bullets than you want to work with, but normal load development procedures would apply.  According to the Accurate Arms manual, their loads have an upper limit of 42,000 psi, as recommended by Thompson Center for the Contender pistol.

David
Montezuma, IA

David Kaiser
Montezuma, IA

IP Logged

Paul_Skvorc
Ex Member

Reply #16 - Mar 18th, 2008 at 10:40pm
Print Post  
J.D. Steele,

I have attached a picture of two .44-40 and two 44 Mag cases with their heads sectioned. Starting from the left they are: 

Federal Cartridge 44 Mag 
Winchester .44-40 
Winchester Western Super 44 Mag 
Remington-Peters .44-40 

There are differences in the head depths (a little less than 0.010" between the 44 Mag and .44-40) , but it's the web, not the head thickness that determines how much pressure - up to 10,000 PSI supposedly - a case contains. And there is only about 0.001" of difference in the webs of these four cases. 

MartiniBelgian,

In the "it could happen" game of  

Quote:
the small-head cases will still be safe at their max. pressure limit in the action and with the small barrel tenon, but with the larger cases, you always run the risk of someone trying to get to the limits of the case, which in this case will be exceeding the barrel tenon's limits.  No such danger with e.g. a case based on .357 max or 5.6 x 50R, that cadet action itself will withstand those higher pressures.

I beg to disagree. 

The loads I posted giving 21,000 PSI for for the .30/.44-40 case were 100% of case capacity. So no chance of "accidental" double charge. By the same token, if you want to suggest that "you always run the risk of someone trying to get to the limits of the case,"  (as you did), then what's good for the goose is good for the gander. I can charge the .30/.357 with a 95% of case capacity load of I4227 (a reasonable powder for this case) that will generate over 85,000 PSI behind a 180-grain bullet. Now as I said, I know little about the Cadet action, so if you tell me that you'd rather stand next to someone doing that and not next to me with a .30/44-40 case generating 21,000 PSI, you're safe from finding me trying to cozy up to ya.  Wink

Again, no effort on my part to 'sway' anyone. To each his own as far as I'm concerned. When possible, I just like to keep comparisons to apples and apples, and reality instead of speculation.

Paul

IP Logged

MartiniBelgian
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #17 - Mar 19th, 2008 at 3:25am
Print Post  
I'm not talking about accidental double charges or unsuitable powders in large quantities - I'm talking about someone trying to eke out every foot/pound out of a cartridge, but still remain within acceptable standards.  A caseful of bullseye will just about blow anything apart, if that's what you're after.
Maybe YOU intend to use only a certain powder, and load to a certain pressure, but how about the next owner?  Bottom line, a 'supposedly-reasonable' load could give problems in that specific rifle for someone not aware of the self-imposed limits you used in your concept.  And there's always a next owner for a rifle...  

But hey, you do whatever you like, it's your concept and rifle - but you asked for opinions, and this is mine.
I'd agree with David - 30 Herrett would be my choice if I wanted to go that way.

IP Logged

DonH
Ex Member

Reply #18 - Mar 19th, 2008 at 7:01am
Print Post  
MartiniBelgian wrote on Mar 19th, 2008 at 3:25am:
I'd agree with David - 30 Herrett would be my choice if I wanted to go that way.

Great minds must think alike! You gents know more about the Cadet action than I, by far. This a subject (and proposed scenario) I have mulled over regarding more than one SS action. There are pressure limits, barrel tenon size, etc to be considered but within those parameters, using a bigger "combustion chamber" to reach a given velocity level generally allows use of slower burning powders resulting in loweer pressures. A max load of slow pistol powder in a.357 Max puts pressure at around 50K. If I can get the same results at lower pressure, I will take it.

I understand and reespect what you all are saying about not knowing what the next guy will do with a rifle. ANY gun/cartridge can be turned into a bomb. I am reminded of what the late Bill Ruger said when asked if his guns were foolproof (in terms of safety). His reply? "There is no proof against fools!" I have bit (?) of a tendency to be judgemental and opinionated but I think of Ruger's words in relation to a gent on another forum talking of seeing a Savage 110 bolt action blown up with 4227 lead bullet loads. ???   

GREAT DISCUSSION guys! 

IP Logged

J.D.Steele
Ex Member

Reply #19 - Mar 19th, 2008 at 9:30am
Print Post  
Paul, I'm glad you sectioned those cases and posted the results. I am curious about one thing though, and that's the web measurement that you cited. You refer to 'head depth' and 'web' but I'm a lilttle unsure of what each term means in this context.

Is the 'web' that you measured the actual thickness of the case wall down where it meets the bottom of the powder chamber? IOW a dimension somewhere in the 0.020"-0.040" range? To me, this is possibly the most important dimension in the entire case aside from the actual shape of the head around the primer pocket (no balloon head cases allowed here!).

I usually use a ball-end mike to measure the case wall thickness down as close to the bottom as possible, and the stronger cases measure 0.025" up to 0.035" in thickness. I repeat that I've not sectioned any 44-40 cases but have reloaded many, and always found that the case walls were noticeably thinner than the 44 Mag ones at the mouth, in fact I've  had aggravating problems with collapsing walls in both 38-40 and 44-40 cases but not with the 44 Mag.

Of course my 44-40 cases are all more than 20 years old and the new stuff may have thicker sidewalls. Is that what you found?

My friend George has found the 30 Herrett to be a superb choice for his Cadet, and, aside from the short neck and Loverin-style cast bullets, he recommends it strongly.
Regards, Joe

IP Logged

Paul_Skvorc
Ex Member

Reply #20 - Mar 19th, 2008 at 11:32am
Print Post  
J.D. Steele,

Quote:
To me, this is possibly the most important dimension in the entire case aside from the actual shape of the head around the primer pocket (no balloon head cases allowed here!).

Ditto! I couldn't be more in agreement.

Quote:
always found that the case walls were noticeably thinner than the 44 Mag ones at the mouth, in fact I've  had aggravating problems with collapsing walls in both 38-40 and 44-40 cases but not with the 44 Mag.

Agan, ditto. My experience as well. Although I don't lament the thin walls of the .44-40 when I'm trying to "shape things". Wink

Quote:
IOW a dimension somewhere in the 0.020"-0.040" range?

The W-W Super 44 Mag web thickness at the junction of web and head was 0.027".
Mouth wall thickness - 0.012"

The F C 44 Mag web thickness at the junction of web and head was 0.029".
Mouth wall thickness - 0.014"

The R-P .44-40 WCF web thickness at the junction of web and head was 0.027".
Mouth wall thickness - 0.0075"

The Winchester .44-40 WCF web thickness at the junciton of web and head was 0.024".
Mouth wall thickness  - 0.0065"

All measured with a J. T. Slocomb Co., 0-1" tube micrometer with a post radius of 0.0625".

Oh yeah... I also suspect that the materials used are not necessarily the same. Most of us have come across "soft" brass. I've always wondered if the 44 Mag brass wasn't a bit harder than other pistol brass, and in this case the .44-40's. I don't have a hardness measurer that would be appropriate for brass. Maybe someone here at ASSRA does.

Quote:
"There is no proof against fools!"

Bingo! Right on Bill Ruger.

I choose not to constrain my life by worrying about what might happen if "someone else", "sometime" in the future, chooses to do something stupid. There are a world full of lawyers and politicians that do more than enough of that 'worrying' for all of us.

Sounds like the consensus here is the .30 Herret. A good choice.

Paul
« Last Edit: Mar 19th, 2008 at 11:41am by »  

IP Logged

screwloosetc
Ex Member

Reply #21 - Mar 21st, 2008 at 10:11pm
Print Post  
I have a BSA martini cadet 30/30 wesson that has a remington tactical barrel. 16.5 gr. 4198 drives a 180 lyman gc bullet into one hole at 1550fps. 17.5 gets the same bullet up to1740fps. primer starts to get into large firing pin hole above that. im bushing the block. still room for more powder. Realy like  the wessen. gun has shot several good groups with various powders and bullet weights with no sign of pressure. I test 10 shots at 100yds.

IP Logged

Singleshotlover
Oldtimer

Reply #22 - Mar 24th, 2008 at 4:43pm
Print Post  
Greetings all. Been following this martini thread regarding a proper cast bullet cartridge. Tried looking in a few reference books but cannot lind anything about the 30-30 wesson. What cartridge case is the parent brass, how hard is the conversion process and are there reamers, dies, load data. And last but not least barrel twist?. Thanks for your help, Regards Frank

Singleshotlover

IP Logged

38_Cal
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #23 - Mar 24th, 2008 at 5:54pm
Print Post  
Looks like you would take a .357 Maximum case and straight taper it down to .30 caliber.  Brass will likely be about .050" or so shorter than the "standard" described in my copy of Cartridges of the World, but that's not a big deal.  I'm sure that you could get dies from C&H, (You need to Login or Register to view media files and links), and a reamer from Manson, (You need to Login or Register to view media files and links);  

David
Montezuma, IA

David Kaiser
Montezuma, IA

IP Logged

screwloosetc
Ex Member

Reply #24 - Mar 24th, 2008 at 6:42pm
Print Post  
Hi
Most of my information on this ctg. came from this group a couple of years ago when i went through a similiar project. the dies came from C&H, the reamer came from Pacific tool 331 neck dia.. Action from Chad Scott and the barrel 308 Remington tactical 12 twist from a shootingt friend who wanted another caliber. The Remington varmint weight barrels are just the right contour for the small Martini action. Project cost less than $350 and shoots most good cast bullets into less than 1 inch. The barrel had not had a jacketed bullet through it with the previous owner. I got real lucky with this one. Brass 357 Maximum from midway.
I also have a Uberti HW in 30/30 win. which is not particular about which bullet it is shooting. with 12 twist and when loaded around 1600fps
lots of luck Tom

IP Logged

Singleshotlover
Oldtimer

Reply #25 - Mar 25th, 2008 at 1:45am
Print Post  
Greeting all. Thanks for the info regarding the 30-30 wesson. The action is a BSA 12/15 that will have the centerfire breechblock from a cadet martini installed. Used take off barrels are kinda thin on the ground here in louisiana where I live. Was looking for a used rem 40x bbl in 308 but as yet no cigar. But you folks came through as usual and gave the info I need. Thanks again.Regards Frank

Singleshotlover

IP Logged

screwloosetc
Ex Member

Reply #26 - Mar 25th, 2008 at 12:12pm
Print Post  
FRANK
I THINK ALL THE REMINGTON 308 BARRELS ARE 12 TWIST FOR THE VARMINT, THE TACTICAAL AND THE 40X. IT WAS RUMORED THE VARMINT WAS A 40X THAT DIDNT PASS INSPECT.THEY SEEM TO HAVE THE SAME CONTOUR. YOU CAN CUT AT THE CHAMBER AND STILL HAVE ENOUGH BARREL. MINE FINISHED AT 23". WATCH EBAY. I KEPT THE REAMER MIGHT DO A PISTOL IF I FIND A RUGER 30 CARBINE
LOTS OF LUCK ITS WORTH THE EFFORT.
TOM

IP Logged

Singleshotlover
Oldtimer

Reply #27 - Mar 26th, 2008 at 12:13am
Print Post  
Tom, I have a buddy in another state who may just find a 308 40x bbl, only show I have seen takeoff barrels was at the houston gun show but haven't been there for a few years. Have problems spending a lot of time on my feet. A friend sent me the complete internals to a cadet action so in this case it will be a matter of threading the split pin hole 1/4x40tpi so I can use the take down screw. I procrastinate on a lot of projects (seem always to start but never finish) but this seems like a karma thing to me, sorta like it was meant to be. Worse comes to worse, I can always go to Douglas bbls and scale down a 40x bbl (I have a stainless single shot 40x) in chrome moly. But would like to keep the bbl length same as the origional 27" long. Since the BSA 12/15 thick wall action is drilled and tapped for the Parker Hale #7 or 7A target sight
would only have the bbl set up to accept a Lyman or similar globe front sight. And when I figure out what scope mount would fit the bbl have it drilled and tapped for that scope mount. So would have both the use of the iron sights and a scope as well. Thanks again for the info. Regards,Frank

Singleshotlover

IP Logged

screwloosetc
Ex Member

Reply #28 - Mar 26th, 2008 at 10:42am
Print Post  
Frank
Save yourselfe future agrivation and bush the firingpin hole early in the project. Also Snaps in Michigan is a Martini goldmine of information.
Tom

IP Logged

mdeland
Ex Member

Reply #29 - Mar 26th, 2008 at 10:45pm
Print Post  
  The case I made was pretty straight forward in design, I used a full length maximun case with a straight taper to 1.350 from the head and made the neck parallel to the mouth. O.A.L. is 1.580. I used the orginal cadet barrel with five groove rifling , removing the front post, cutting a dovetail and installing a Parker Hale globe up front. The six flute reamer, left hand cut was made  from A-2 steel and cut a clean chamber. I have no idea of the dimensions of the 30-30 Wesson. This was just idea I had thinking about the profile of the 40-65 Winchester. It is one of my most fun plinking rifles. 
  I didn't get the throat  long enough for the healed bullet I like on the chamber reamer necessitating the need  to  build a throater . I'm not sure how accurate it is yet at 100 yards but I can reliable hit the pigs at a hundred meters in our winter shoots. I doubt if it will hold 2 MOA at a 100 with that little spindly barrel and my throat design but might be surprised if  ever get as scope on it to see.  It was a good project at any rate and a fun rifle to shoot very cheaply. MD

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 3 
Send TopicPrint