Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 2 [3] 4  Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) Reloading 22 RF (Read 22648 times)
Shooter_#_1
Ex Member

Re: Reloading 22 RF
Reply #30 - Mar 2nd, 2008 at 10:21pm
Print Post  
It's not that I'm interested in re-loading 22 RF's but now I'm being told that the 22 RF rifle that I have may not be allowed in ASSRA events, especially at Etna. 

I'm a new member, just received my first SSRJ not long ago, have already been told to more or less be quite, don't make waves, don't offer opinions,  and do not try to re-invent anything till I'm a member for about two years, well I'm not sure if I'll get through my first year.

To be sure I was doing things correctly I ordered the rule book, it did not come with any supplemental sheets or inserts with new rules added. I even checked the rules that were just recently up loaded to this site, I did not see anything there about 22 RF ammo, can not find out why my 22 RF may not be legal. I started to make arrangements to have a Center Fire rifle made, put that on hold because I'm not sure if what I want would be legal to be used in the events. 

Now being that I'm a new member I don't mind so much being told to keep my mouth shut, don't make any waves, keep my opinions to myself etc. etc. but guys, I'm old, retired, and can only afford to do this once. If my 22 RF cant be used that means I'll have to make changes or buy another one, that means more $$$$.   

Does anyone know what is going on or happing with the ASSRA, I know that I was told just go with the flow.  I may be on thin ice but I'm going to ask a question anyway, shouldn't my so called "new" rule book have come with some kind of up date sheet ?, and shouldn't new up dates be up loaded to this site so that all members know what is going on ?. 

I know, I already violated one of the "rules" of a new member,  but if I'm going to get involved  in this type of shooting I gots to know what's happening.
   Shooter

IP Logged

westerner
Frequent Elocutionist

deleted posts and threads
record holder.

Reply #31 - Mar 2nd, 2008 at 10:52pm
Print Post  
Shooter, 

were you building a .22 rimfire specifically for breechseating ?  

I'd like to know when the new rulebook will be available. Will it be a book or will it be posted on the forum?   

Joe.
« Last Edit: Mar 2nd, 2008 at 11:03pm by westerner »  

A blind squirrel runs into a tree every once in a while.

IP Logged

Shooter_1
Ex Member

Reply #32 - Mar 2nd, 2008 at 11:10pm
Print Post  
Nope,
I have a Ruger # 1 in 22 RF, was told it may not be legal for the ASSRA events. The gun I was haveing made was a Center Fire as I don't have one, but am now affraid to go with it because of the new rules.
  Shooter

IP Logged

Green_Frog
Frequent Elocutionist

"It ain't easy being green"
ASSRA Life #281

Reply #33 - Mar 2nd, 2008 at 11:46pm
Print Post  
Shooter_1, I don't know who told you that a Ruger #1 converted to .22 RF "might not be legal" for ASSRA competitions, but they were probably some of those people who should indeed be quiet until they knew what they were talking about.  I know of at least 2 such conversions that have been prepared specifically for ASSRA competition, and other than some of the traditional matches for specific rifles, calibers, or configurations, they are welcome.  Any .22 single shot (non-bolt action, of course) with a barrel of sufficient length (currently 21" or so IIRC) is legal for the rimfire matches which are held on their own weekends several times a year, and for the .22 events at the Nationals held 3 times a year (which are otherwise mostly shot with CF rifles.)

As far as building a competition rifle on a #1 action for CF matches (bench or OH) that is done all the time, and in fact I campaigned a #1 with a custom .32-40 barrel for several years as my OH rifle.   

If you read and follow the rules in the current book or as posted, you will most probably be fine as it seems most of the changes are to liberalize the rules where they are too draconian, not make them tighter.  The thing about breech seating .22s and the safety hazards, real or perceived, that the practice might involve, explains why that particular rule seems to be getting a bit more restrictive.

I hope this will help with your decision making to some degree, and that all of the complaining by people who, by and large, aren't competing at Etna Green anyway, won't sour you on getting started.  Hope to see you there in May, and if you are close enough to make the trip to Central VA the end of June, we'd love to have you at our Chinquapin match where I assure you, both of the #1s will fit right in!

Regards,
Charlie Shaeff
the Green Frog

IP Logged

KAF
Ex Member

Reply #34 - Mar 3rd, 2008 at 8:10am
Print Post  
No New Rules have been adopted.

There have been  a list of rules discussed that need updated or made easier to understand. Or that are repeated, but nothing has been  changed.
When and if there are changes I hope there is a supplemental insert or some kind of list of updates will be made available.

As for a NEW member giving opinions or asking questions, well he has the same right as a Life member from day one.

Members opinions and thoughts is what makes a organization go on.
So ask away and opine.

And whom ever told you your rifle might not be legal and to hold your tongue, tell that person.........well I know what I'd say.

The only change to rifles being allowable is barrel length, the present rule says it has to be 21" or there about, what little discussion that has gone on is to make the length the legal length according to state and federal law which I think is 18".

So do your rifle and have fun.

IP Logged

tenx
Senior Forum Member

Reply #35 - Mar 3rd, 2008 at 10:28am
Print Post  
Shooter_1,

Welcome to the ASSRA!

I'll agree with Keith in that if you have something to say, why go ahead and say it. We have a lot of people on here who are not even members and it's never shut them up if they had something to say. As a member I would say you have more right to say anything you want..... within reason of course...... than they do.

As for the CF rifle you're contemplating, like the Frog I campaigned a Ruger, altho it was a #3, with a Bud Welsh .32/40 barrel on it many years ago and no one complained then.

The only thing I had against the Ruger action at that time was no one knew the little tricks that they know now on to get them to shoot decently. Sold it to get rid of it and now wish I had it back. Got a #1 in .218 Bee I want to try out this year (maybe) and see what that can do.

IP Logged

38_Cal
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #36 - Mar 3rd, 2008 at 10:45am
Print Post  
Keith, FYI, the federal rule on rifle barrel minimum length is 16", with an overall length of 26" minimum.  Shotguns are 18" barrel length, with the same overall length requirement.   Come to think of it, there are some days when my groups more closely resemble shotgun patterns... Roll Eyes

David
Montezuma, IA

David Kaiser
Montezuma, IA

IP Logged

Shooter_1
Ex Member

Reply #37 - Mar 3rd, 2008 at 11:58am
Print Post  
Thanks KAF for clearing this up.
Hear that guys,  NO  NEW  RULES have been adopted, now where do people get theses ideas about what's allowed and what's not allowed ?.
Shooter
« Last Edit: Mar 3rd, 2008 at 12:49pm by »  

IP Logged

MI-shooter

Reply #38 - Mar 3rd, 2008 at 12:33pm
Print Post  
Shooter_1
Welcome to the insanity! As KAF said, the ASSRA Rules Committee is reviewing the rules and hopefully have a report and recommendations at the May Board Meeting at EG. As to CF Rugers, I shoot one in competition at EG as do others. I wrote an article for the Journal some time ago on the CF guns shot at EG and although Rugers were not the majority, there are several being shot. Maybe someone was thinking BPCR rules that state you need a hammer thingy to shoot.  Grin As to rimfire, the only ammo restriction is factory LR ammo. You can sort by weight, rim thickness, loose vs tight bullets, runout or any other attribute but you cannot alter the bullet or change lube. Pretty simple. 

Not sure who said to sit back and shut up but that is not what many here believe. It is OK to disagree, just keep it civil is all that is asked. If you or anyone has a question but you do not want to ask it in open forum, send a PM or email to the director of your choosing and we will try to get an answer. 

Ed

IP Logged

bohemianway
Oldtimer

Reply #39 - Mar 3rd, 2008 at 1:52pm
Print Post  
Just as a side note: Two years ago I was buying new ammo from a well established competition retailer since my supply of 20+ year old Black box was running out. The comment I got from him was that I would be disapointed in the current quality of the top level ammunition especially at the cost. And, his business is selling the stuff. 

I eventually bought the lesser Wolf Target for our 200 yard work and cannot give a valid report yet and also a case of the new Eley "Sport". I think it was named "sport" as short for "sporting chance for the other guy" since in the rifles it is simply horrid (however, in pistols it works far better than the price point.). I have put it through (3)52Cs, Kimber sil, Anschutz 64s, Valmet, and my custom (200 yd match winning) singleshot and the "Sport" is not good for 1.5" groups at 50 yards.

GTalk  
IP Logged

tim_s
Oldtimer

Reply #40 - Mar 4th, 2008 at 8:42am
Print Post  
bohemianway wrote on Mar 3rd, 2008 at 1:52pm:
Just as a side note: Two years ago I was buying new ammo from a well established competition retailer since my supply of 20+ year old Black box was running out. The comment I got from him was that I would be disapointed in the current quality of the top level ammunition especially at the cost. And, his business is selling the stuff. 

I eventually bought the lesser Wolf Target for our 200 yard work and cannot give a valid report yet and also a case of the new Eley "Sport". I think it was named "sport" as short for "sporting chance for the other guy" since in the rifles it is simply horrid (however, in pistols it works far better than the price point.). I have put it through (3)52Cs, Kimber sil, Anschutz 64s, Valmet, and my custom (200 yd match winning) singleshot and the "Sport" is not good for 1.5" groups at 50 yards.

You may want to seriously consider finding a new supplier that actually knows something about what he's selling, your's does not. If you cannot get virtually ANY decent ammo to group less that 1.5" @ 50 then you might want to really get the guns clean, really clean.
   While some still consider this debatable it has pretty much been established that the most accurate .22's on the planet benefit from regular cleaning... with solvent and a brush. If it has not been done in a while it would also likely benefit from a hard look at the throat to get the tough carbon ring out of there. I have lost count of the guns we've seen come alive again with a poperly maintained bore.

“ I don’t have to be faster than the bear, I just have to be faster than you”

IP Logged

Brent
Ex Member

Reply #41 - Mar 4th, 2008 at 9:28am
Print Post  
It has also been established that the modern ammo available today is quite a bit better than the ammo of yesteryear as well.   

I do not clean every time I shoot but about once per 500 rounds has worked for me.  I might go more often when shooting bench..

Brent

IP Logged

tenx
Senior Forum Member

Reply #42 - Mar 4th, 2008 at 10:05am
Print Post  
  I'll agree with Brent. The Ballard Rifle Co. .22 I have has never been cleaned and has had several thousand rounds thru it, after better than 3 years. Brent shoots his .22 at 200 yds. and pretty well beats everyone in the club at that distance so that's a good recommend to me.

Then of course you have Bill Calfee who recommends cleaning your gun maybe once a year. Something to do with building up a fouling ring of some sort in the chamber. I've had many people tell me that it takes upwards of 50 rds. thru a gun after it's been cleaned before it'll show it's best accuracy.

Down at Monett many years ago a guy shooting next to me shot only .22 and cleaned everybodies clock. He put over a box of match ammo thru his gun before he even so much as shot a round on the target. Just kept loading and pulling the trigger, as fast as he could, without even looking thru the scope.

It might be that most guns need to be cleaned often. I just haven't seen them. Either mine or others at the club. I saw a guy do that after every relay at a .22 bench match once, but most didn't clean till after the match was over, and some didn't then. As many of the old time Schuetzen shooters used to say"More guns have been worn out by cleaning than ever were by shooting.

IP Logged

tim_s
Oldtimer

Reply #43 - Mar 4th, 2008 at 10:17am
Print Post  
Bill Calfee, who many might not know, is one of the best .22 smiths around. He actually suggests cleaning every couple hundered rounds more or less.

“ I don’t have to be faster than the bear, I just have to be faster than you”

IP Logged

singleshotom
Senior Forum Member

Reply #44 - Mar 4th, 2008 at 6:36pm
Print Post  
God I had no intention of causing a great debate on rules and rule changes just wanted to know if anyone experimented with ammo.
But all has been interesting for sure. Anyway Tim-s can you inform me of a supplier in the USA that I could get to ship requested machine- and speed lots from ie: (machine 3 or 5 speed 1050-1060), as I can't find anyone here in Canada with the ability. They all seem to have lots from machine 1 and 2 only.
I'd appreciate a phone number for a source.
Thnx
Tom

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 
Send TopicPrint