Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 3 4  Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) Reloading 22 RF (Read 22643 times)
tim_s
Oldtimer

Re: Reloading 22 RF
Reply #15 - Feb 28th, 2008 at 4:00pm
Print Post  
Ed, well the first post spoke of quality control of all ammo. Since it rapidly evolved into reloading potential I kind of assumed that nobody was going to go through that to outperform CCI stingers.
  On your other point while .22 BR match shooting is often zero tolerance stuff I doubt many do or will pay that kind of scratch for ammo. Last year I shot nothing but black box at nine bucks+ a box and shot 23 250's in compition. Eley sent some of this $6 club over and it shot exceedingly well. While I would not call it cheap, it's still a far cry from $25.

“ I don’t have to be faster than the bear, I just have to be faster than you”

IP Logged

singleshotom
Senior Forum Member

Reply #16 - Feb 29th, 2008 at 1:17am
Print Post  
Well I thank you all for the great info. 
The reason I asked the question was that in early part of my shooting life I was using pre 1970 Eley Red box in 100 meter and 150 meter matches. I had ammo from 5 different lots and all 5 lots were capable of sub-minute groups fairly constantly. Since returning to the bench game this past couple of years I have purchased several lots of Eley EPS both Black and Tenex Redbox.. and Lapua "M' and "L".. Testing these lots in controlled conditions... they wont hold a candle to the few boxes of Pre 70 ammo I have left.. Upon inspection under a scope the only visual difference is the crimp.... it is not as constant as it was and it far more pronounced now.
Also the weight of shells was far more diverse in the  Post 2006 lots.
So I just wondered about removing the crimp, because the recovered bullets appear to have pronounced tearing at the sides where the crimp is applied.

IP Logged

tim_s
Oldtimer

Reply #17 - Feb 29th, 2008 at 8:51am
Print Post  
Wow, I'm really surprised to here about your test stuff because it's been generally accepted that the stuff that's been out the last couple years in particular vastly exceeds any of the old stuff, in particular the '07 lots off the 3 machine and the new 5 machine with black box in particular. The crimp is generally better, they changed the drive band on the EPS stuff a while back allowing for better fouling removal and shot to shot consistancy and then moved it forward slightly in an attempt to address a stability issue with more folks using extremely tight bore, 2-groove, slow twist bbls.
     The next chance you get to test some stuff you might want to try lots off the 3 and 5 machine, go with some speeds from  a range of 1053 to about 1065fps. Lots of that mid 50's stuff has been good. Good luck.

“ I don’t have to be faster than the bear, I just have to be faster than you”

IP Logged

singleshotom
Senior Forum Member

Reply #18 - Feb 29th, 2008 at 10:11am
Print Post  
Thnx Tim, I'll try and locate some from those Lots good info.
Thnx Again

IP Logged

Brent
Ex Member

Reply #19 - Feb 29th, 2008 at 5:37pm
Print Post  
I will agree with Tim, I don't know the machines that my lots come from but the stuff I have in the 1064 fp and 1062 fps range is just plain excellent.  Really excellent.   

Brent

IP Logged

rimfire
Ex Member

Reply #20 - Mar 1st, 2008 at 2:20pm
Print Post  
gentlemen - I believe both ASSRA rules and also the 50 yd BR orginiazation rules state unaltered factory ammo - I know the reason ASSRA went to this rule was liability - we didn't want anybody trying to pull lead out of the cases at the range and having an accident - if primed cases were readily available we might reconsider the rule.   
you all have a good day now - the rimfire - cdpersons

IP Logged

irish66
Oldtimer

Reply #21 - Mar 1st, 2008 at 5:20pm
Print Post  
just because i hate it when some starts quoting rules   
matt any time you want to shoot 22 rf breech seating at my placecome on down and to heck witht he rules.
i started trying this about 7 years ago and quit. but i still have the mold and the seater for my ballard.
cheers
irish
Smiley

IP Logged

rimfire
Ex Member

Reply #22 - Mar 1st, 2008 at 8:59pm
Print Post  
hey - I'm not pickin on ya if ya want to do it I was just stating why its not allowed at ASSRA matches - I wish you the best of luck with your efforts - you have a good day now - the rimfire - cdpersons

IP Logged

leadball
Ex Member

Reply #23 - Mar 2nd, 2008 at 9:51am
Print Post  
rimfire;
           I have experimented with breechseating 22RF --trying to make cheap ammo shoot better, "does it work" you bet it does, but its a lot of trouble fooling with those small cases and as you state why go to all the trouble because no shooting venue I know will allow re-loaded 22RF ammo.   Breechseating 22RF works but is it worth the effort "no".    leadball

IP Logged

SPG
Ex Member

Reply #24 - Mar 2nd, 2008 at 12:38pm
Print Post  
Gentlemen,

There is nothing in the Wyoming Schuetzen Union rules that prohibit the use of hand loaded .22 rimfire ammo...with either black or smokeless.

Gute Ziele,

Steve

IP Logged

Shooter_#_1
Ex Member

Reply #25 - Mar 2nd, 2008 at 1:10pm
Print Post  
Guys,
Can you tell me what page in the rule book it tells about not being able to reload 22 RF's, I cant find anything about it.   Thanks
  Shooter

IP Logged

Jim_Borton
Global Moderator

Reply #26 - Mar 2nd, 2008 at 4:27pm
Print Post  
There is a new rule book being worked on as we speak!
Way back a few year ago when people were starting to try this thing with 22rf, the BOD decided it would not be aloud in ASSRA matches!
This new printing of the rule book will be the first time it has had a chase to be put in writing!
Jim
Schezenmeister of ASSRA

Hugs & Kisses
ASSRA life
NRA life
NMLRA life

IP Logged

Shooter_#_1
Ex Member

Reply #27 - Mar 2nd, 2008 at 6:30pm
Print Post  
I guess what your saying is the "new" rule book I just got is the old rule book that is no longer used.  ?.

Guess I'll back off  on  the gun I had planed on having  J & C  gunsmiths make up. Or is the only change in the "new" rule book about ammo.
  Shooter

IP Logged

leadball
Ex Member

Reply #28 - Mar 2nd, 2008 at 9:10pm
Print Post  
I'm glad WSU permits re-loading 22RF--I also wish ASSRA would not have adopted this rule,  the safety angle doesn't work for me, as a shooter I consider the re-loading of a case full of blackpowder in a 50/90 or a 300win Mag much more dangerous than the 22RF. I'll carry right along with the new rule and pretend I'm happy, its not a big thing.  My point has always been "I don't want to re-load 22RF ammo but, I don't want to prevent the other guy from doing so".   leadball

IP Logged

irish66
Oldtimer

Reply #29 - Mar 2nd, 2008 at 9:40pm
Print Post  
leadball,
could not have put it better. 
after a talk with matt he has got me thinking about trying to shoot breech seating 22 lead in a khornet. (lowwall)
but I think i am going to restart the rimfire venture again just for lack of nothing else better to chew on.
irish.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 
Send TopicPrint