Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 3 4 Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) Reloading 22 RF (Read 22625 times)
singleshotom
Senior Forum Member

Reloading 22 RF
Feb 28th, 2008 at 1:59am
Print Post  
Being that all 22 RF ammo producers have lost a bit of QC during or after production, in the past 30 yrs.
Has anyone toyed with the idea of pulling bullets removing the crimp from the case reloading powder and installing a new cast bullet.
One problem I wonder about is the crimp on shells including the big name ones Eley, Federal, etc.
I and others here have rim gauged, weighed and still have flyer's.... I have noted that some ammo in all lots have variances in the crimp, including a few that have the lead smeared over the case.. Just a though has anyone tried removing the crimp and if so was there any noticeable positive results?

IP Logged

MartiniBelgian
Frequent Elocutionist

Re: Reloading 22 RF
Reply #1 - Feb 28th, 2008 at 3:33am
Print Post  
Hmm... My opinion is exactly the opposite - top .22 ammo has never been more accurate (or expensive  Cry ).  If you look at the top ELey and Lapua stuff, I find it hard to find fault.
If you want to do better, I guess a bullet runout gage is the thing you need (type Nielsen or whatever), but pulling bullets and reloading?  I really doubt you could do better.

IP Logged

matt_carter
Ex Member

Reply #2 - Feb 28th, 2008 at 6:44am
Print Post  
I have never reloaded a rimfire cartridge. I was able to listened to several folks discussing the practice that had reloaded rimfire 22 lr. One of the advantages was to get away from the healed bullet. They had some success at the endeaver. But the club or organization quickly banned the practice for use in competition. 
The guys also ran into problems with the ammo manufactures when they tried to buy primed cases from them. The first attempts were with disassembled ammunition so they wanted skip that step and just buy the primed brass. I don't think that any one would sell them just the primed brass.
They were using breech seated cast bullets.
Ive also heard of some one pulling bullets and reloading the cases with black powder.
If you attempt to do it keep us updated on the progress. It has always been in the back of my mind as something to try.

IP Logged

irish66
Oldtimer

Reply #3 - Feb 28th, 2008 at 7:18am
Print Post  
Angry
goodmorning matt,
i will be happy to l;oan you my 22 mold that eldon made and have at it.
a number of us and i am trying to remember names found that you were completly at the mercy of the primimg compounds. gave up and went back to buying it. there was a gent who shot at tssra lives up north had a lot of results, can't think of his name. oh well i will remember. I think i even still have a breech seater i made... will have to loook.
cheers
irish

IP Logged

tim_s
Oldtimer

Reply #4 - Feb 28th, 2008 at 9:15am
Print Post  
Since I compete in the rimfire BR world more than fooling with SS guns I might offer a qualified opinion. As others have stated, match ammo in particular has probably never been better. Scores are higher across the board and there is consensus among high level competitors that consistancy has been extremely good. Eley, in particular, has made great strides. In their high end ammo EVERY bullet is visually instected with computer assistance before seating, as is powder charge. The EPS moniker refers to their proprietary Eley Priming System which now distributes compound quite evenly in the rim. You mentioned the disassembly-reassembly of ammo but it has also been shown that the crimp consistancy proves critical to performance and that, as well, has been greatly improved in recent years. While this next area has differing opinions, it has been my experience as well as others that when lots of the medium grade match ammo in particular that coincentricity can play a very important part in the equation. I do not measure each and every round I compete with but it has been my experience that certain lots of ammo exibit fairly pronounced trends as far as more runout or less and I use the Neilson guage as a useful tool when testing lots. If anybody has been thinking of one of these things go to their site and read the test data. I've an extra one I'll part with at a discount in interested. PM me.

“ I don’t have to be faster than the bear, I just have to be faster than you”

IP Logged

Fred Boulton
Oldtimer

Reply #5 - Feb 28th, 2008 at 9:18am
Print Post  
About a year ago, I suggested to Eley that, to capitalise on the growing interest in .22 benchrest, they might sell primed cases and a bullet seating kit.
The response was: "it's an idea".
Pressure is required from the market place, ie: you out there.
Fred.

IP Logged

leadball
Ex Member

Reply #6 - Feb 28th, 2008 at 9:30am
Print Post  
Lapua has some new very expensive "25.00 a box" ammo for the benchrest crowd--should be available in a couple months.  Lapua says we can forget about lot #s.  At .50 a shot it should be pretty good.  leadball

IP Logged

tim_s
Oldtimer

Reply #7 - Feb 28th, 2008 at 10:15am
Print Post  
Quote:
Lapua has some new very expensive "25.00 a box" ammo for the benchrest crowd--should be available in a couple months.  Lapua says we can forget about lot #s.  At .50 a shot it should be pretty good.  leadball

It's probably going to be more like $18/box retail. It should be remembered about the "lot #" comment, the distributers shelves are full of unpurchased Lapua that was supposed to be many things... we'll see.
  Fred, what do you suspect might be gained from hand assembly of these components? This presupposes we could come up with suitable powder which will be quite hard as it's never been available for public sale. [ the best available is Vitovori and they only sell to the Ammo companies].

IP Logged

tenx
Senior Forum Member

Reply #8 - Feb 28th, 2008 at 10:16am
Print Post  
SSTom,

Yes...... Several(?) years ago a coupla of the guys from the Tulsa Ok. club did some experimenting as you're wanting to know about. My understanding was that using cast bullets was successful to a degree, but a lack of space in the LR case led to some work using the magnum cases.
  As someone suggested tho the practice was outlawed at the club and I haven't  heard anything more about it since. I thought about playing around with it to the point of actually getting a bunch of cases and bullets ready. That's where the idea sits right now.
  Trying to recall what a friend did along these lines but as I recall accuracy was ok but no better than what you can buy. I think he even tried some loads with BP.
  The big problem is, as also suggested here, of it being dangerous to pull existing bullets. The risk is probably low but all you'd need would be one mishap. The primed cases only idea would be great, but if you could talk a maker into supplying them you'd probably have to order something in the 100 thousand piece range, like they did when some shooters were looking Federal supplying a special run of cases. 100,000 was the minimum quoted.

IP Logged

Redwing
Oldtimer

Reply #9 - Feb 28th, 2008 at 11:16am
Print Post  
Hi All !!!

Having worked for Olin for a number of years, it was always a hoot to visit our East Alton, IL ammunition facility where Jerry (plant manager) would always boast of his annual production levels of .22 cal ammo as being in the multi-millions…. This was in the eighty’s when Winchester was king and the executive lobby was lined with cabinets full of first serial numbered models…. (sigh)…

Anyway, we often discussed opportunities of improvement for sales/marketing and this topic often came up as to providing “primed” cases for the special market folks (who wanted to reload with their own unique components). This was always discarded based on the advice or our legal department as it was considered “high liability” for any amount predicted.  

Remember that the .22 primer is an impact sensitive slurry that when dried, provides ignition to the primary powder. No meager feat in production mode.

If you’re looking to select your ammo for consistency, measure the rim thickness and sort them within the bell-curve that provides the best results. Another science project that would require a machined rest and a tunnel conducive to environmental consistency.. 

Oh for the good old day’s when a box of the best was fifty cents.  

Ed…..

IP Logged

fallingblock
ASSRA Board Member

Reply #10 - Feb 28th, 2008 at 11:37am
Print Post  
I have been thinking about this for some time and have been able to pick up a few thousand primed cases that used to be sold by Remington . Have not got around to it. The project like many will be a long time in getting done. I do not know why they were available but were sold in boxes unprimed as well as in bulk lots of 500. I believe they are from the late 50's or early 60's. 
Cheers,
Fallingblock

Cheers,
Laurie
ASSRA Secretary & Archivist

IP Logged

38_Cal
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #11 - Feb 28th, 2008 at 11:58am
Print Post  
And I managed to pick up a couple of handfuls of primed Federal .22 Short brass about 25 years ago.  Wish it had been long rifle, but...

David
Montezuma, IA

David Kaiser
Montezuma, IA

IP Logged

j sells

Life is too short to rush

Reply #12 - Feb 28th, 2008 at 12:38pm
Print Post  
Believe I would buy what is out there already loaded and practice, practice. Practice, instead of worrying about what you can load will help scores probably more than trying to build rimfire ammo. Just thoughts from an ole man. Jerry

Jerry

IP Logged

tim_s
Oldtimer

Reply #13 - Feb 28th, 2008 at 1:25pm
Print Post  
Redwing, as it applies to high grade match ammo, which I'm assuming all this talk of improvement ultimately leads, the days of rim varience are long over. I have'nt heard of a bench shooter doing it for probably 5-7 years. The only guys that persist are still trying to convince themselves that mid priced stuff can consistantly compete with the good stuff. Another illusion at anything above the club level.
 I would say the bottom line is that in the last couple years .22 match ammo has been made that approaches perfection. My recently departed friend Chet Amick from MD. smithed and shot 5 different guns that last year shot 5 250-25x's on the IR 50 target, all in the presence of some of the US's most accomplished BR shooters and guys I don't care what kind of gun you own, that ain't gonna happen with anything but @#$% fine ammo IMHO.
« Last Edit: Feb 28th, 2008 at 2:59pm by Jim_Borton »  

IP Logged

Redwing
Oldtimer

Reply #14 - Feb 28th, 2008 at 3:44pm
Print Post  
singleshotom wrote on Feb 28th, 2008 at 1:59am:
Being that all 22 RF ammo producers have lost a bit of QC during or after production, in the past 30 yrs.

Tim !!!

I took it that the post started about common ammo... You are spot-on about the quality (and cost) regqrding the newer target ammo...  while all of my target rifles are .22's, I never paid 25.00 a box for anything.. Shocked 

I need to sharpen other parts of my delivery before I get that hungry..

Ed....

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 3 4
Send TopicPrint