Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic Old Publications (Read 3278 times)
Redwing
Oldtimer

Old Publications
Feb 1st, 2008 at 12:15pm
Print Post  
Hello All !!!

Just a FYI to all those looking for sale’s catalog’s and manual / article’s related to our interest.

For me personally, I subscribed to the Stevens-Pope article on “false Muzzles and loading devices.. 

Tons of publications…

Redwing~ 

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

IP Logged

Green_Frog
Frequent Elocutionist

"It ain't easy being green"
ASSRA Life #281

Re: Old Publications
Reply #1 - Feb 1st, 2008 at 1:37pm
Print Post  
I second that emotion, Redwing.  I have dealt with Abby via phone and e-mail since I discovered Cornell Pub on e-Bay, and am very pleased with the quality of their products and with their customer service.  IIRC, Rudi had a blurb about them in the Journal not too long ago, and I know they have been most supportive of our archive efforts.   Cheesy

Froggie

IP Logged

MerwinBray
Oldtimer

Aw Gees

Reply #2 - Feb 1st, 2008 at 1:40pm
Print Post  
WOW! They have ALOT more than I realized. Like Froggie, I discovered them on ebay a few years ago and have bought stuff like stevens reprints and Bannermans, etc. But I haven't ever been to the website. Lots of good stuff. Thanks for the link!
Merwin

Great Plains Precision Rifle Club

IP Logged

slumlord44
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #3 - Feb 1st, 2008 at 10:26pm
Print Post  
I have been dealing with Cornell for a while. Good product. Great to deal with. If you have original material they can use, they will give you one of their reprints for each of your originals they use. Worked well for me. You can visit their web sight or call them and they will send you a list of what is available. They are constantly adding new stuff.

IP Logged

mriisj assra Life

Reply #4 - Feb 2nd, 2008 at 10:45am
Print Post  
Hi Redwing

I have bourght many of his publications and is very satisfied with his quality.

I have a special interst in the False muzzle load system but could not find the Stevens-Pope article, can you help me with this ?

Michael

IP Logged

Redwing
Oldtimer

Reply #5 - Feb 3rd, 2008 at 10:15pm
Print Post  
Hi mriisj !!!

Sorry it took so long to get back to you… Been away….

Just a few words from Mr. Pope on this page but I have a lot more from my Ned Roberts books.. Give me a while and I post them for you..

Redwing~

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

IP Logged

mriisj assra Life

Reply #6 - Feb 4th, 2008 at 1:03pm
Print Post  
Hi Redwing

Super, I just ordred the publication, I look forward to what ever you can find.

I have read that Pope actually got the best performance by muzzle loading and a twin powder mix for driver (smokeless  and black powder)so I wonder why no one use this any more, have the breech loading improved over time to have the same accuracy or is people just getting to lazy to use the muzzle loading today?

Is there anyone here that have any wisdom about the chambering is the same for breech loading, muzzle loading and fixed amo for the same caliber ie 32-40?

Michael

IP Logged

Redwing
Oldtimer

Reply #7 - Feb 4th, 2008 at 1:38pm
Print Post  
Hi mriisj !!!

In the day’s when accuracy was “God”, Pope and the other experts used methods that are now considered “excessive” to our modern methods and no longer needed..

Loading was done at the range and most of the time the same few rounds of brass would be used all day.. Mixing powder was common as a small amount of the smokeless would be used as a “priming” charge for the bulk of the BP.. This would reduce the residue left in the barrel and promote a cleaner path for the next shot. 

The bullet was “charged down onto the case as to pre-engrave the round and minimize the air space between the cartridge. Most of the time the slugs were either paper or cloth patched to save the rifling.. There were times (when the “big” records were set) that only five to ten shot’s were fired all day..

More to come !!!

Redwing~

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint