Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) Lowering striker on a Sharps Borchardt (Read 7002 times)
thop
Senior Forum Member

Lowering striker on a Sharps Borchardt
Jan 26th, 2008 at 10:26am
Print Post  
I have recently acquired a 78 Borchardt.  My question deals with lowering the striker on an empty chamber to relieve the compression of the main spring during storage.  Like most other center fire configurations, I suspect it is unwise to dry fire the rifle to lower the firing pin. The automatic sliding trigger safety makes it impractical to hold the trigger back while closing the action, as can be done on the Ruger #1 and Win High Walls.  I currently use a close fitting wooden dowel rod inserted into the barrel from the muzzle and pull the trigger while keeping pressure on the breach face with the dowel rod.  This absorbs the energy from the firing pin and reduces the chances of breaking the tip.  To any Borchardt owners do it differently?  THOP

thop

IP Logged

Brent
Ex Member

Re: Lowering striker on a Sharps Borchardt
Reply #1 - Jan 26th, 2008 at 2:08pm
Print Post  
If you experiment a little, you will find a narrow windof where you can pull both the safety and the trigger as you are raising the block and this will do what needs to be done.  It takes a little fiddling to get it right.   

Brent

IP Logged

harry_eales
Ex Member

Reply #2 - Jan 26th, 2008 at 5:50pm
Print Post  
I know of one very experienced BP Long Range shooter who removed the safety catch lever from his Borchardt Action, as he considers it a PITA to have to remember to take the safety catch off everytime he wants to fire the rifle. 

The safety catch can still be used manually if needed.

With the safety catch lever removed, an open action can be uncocked very easily by just holding back the trigger when closing the action. As the breechblock is raised the firing pin cocking bar just slides over the cocking cam plates lowering the firing pin gently into the rest or uncocked position.

Harry

IP Logged

thop
Senior Forum Member

Reply #3 - Jan 26th, 2008 at 6:13pm
Print Post  
Thanks Brent and Harry.  I'll give your suggestions a try.  THOP

thop

IP Logged

zrifleman
Ex Member

Reply #4 - Jan 27th, 2008 at 12:26pm
Print Post  
I don't reccomend removing the safety catch lever or safety. I blew away the sky screen on my chronograph when I snappped the lever closed. This rifle was missing the catch lever. On a Borchardt, having the safety re-engage each time you reload, is for your protection and those around you.

IP Logged

Mike Gordon
Participating Member

Reply #5 - Jan 27th, 2008 at 2:11pm
Print Post  
One other way to de-cock a Borchardt ---- from the lowest position, raise the lever slightly, slide the safety to the rear and press the lower leg of the exposed sear forward. Continuing to raise the lever and closing the breech will lower the striker all the way.   

It's sort of like de-cocking a Luger.

IP Logged

J.D.Steele
Ex Member

Reply #6 - Jan 28th, 2008 at 9:48am
Print Post  
I removed the safety catch lever (the part that automatically engages the safety as the block is lowered) on my first Borchardt back in the early '70s, 'cause it was such a PITA. Have done the same with the other Borchardts that I kept. Ditto for the auto-safety bars on my L.C.Smiths, cost me some ducks before I wised up. Fortunately, as I discovered more about the Smiths, I found that there was (or could be) a third safety button position, farther rearward, that could be used to bypass the auto safety feature. Not so with the Borchardt, unfortunately.

ADs with the Borchardt can be greatly reduced or eliminated entirely by carefully adjusting the cocking plate surfaces to more gently and gradually act on the striker pin. All, I repeat all, of the nine original Borchardts that I've owned have needed some sort of internal adjustment in order to work properly.
FWIW, good luck, Joe

IP Logged

thop
Senior Forum Member

Reply #7 - Jan 28th, 2008 at 10:11am
Print Post  
Joe,  Your comment about adjusting the cocking plate surfaces was interesting.  Since I had mine apart the other night I was trying to validate Frank DeHaus' comments related to keeping the timing adjusted to ensure the firing pin was withdrawn quick enough to avoid damage when lowering the breach block.  I would be curious to know how adjustments are made to the cocking plates.  Since they are pinned and screwed into place the only thing I can think of is building up the cocking surface with weld and regrinding.  Is this how you have done it on your rifles?  THOP

thop

IP Logged

J.D.Steele
Ex Member

Reply #8 - Jan 28th, 2008 at 12:24pm
Print Post  
Quick & dirty, with no details:

In the lathe, remove just enough from the front of the striker to permit its cocking pin to bottom out against the narrow portions of the cocking plates when fully forward. Now shorten firing pin nose protrusion to ~ 0.030". Now remove cocking plates and smoothly polish the ramp portions so that they smoothly and gradually come into play against the striker's cocking pin ends, not only when cocking but also when pushing the block upwards past the upper plate protrusions to remove it. These upper cocking plate protrusions are especially important because an abrupt transition here will cause the sear to disengage prematurely when removing the block, allowing the striker nose to hit the rear of the receiver ring before the block clears it.

IMO it's a very rare Borchardt indeed that doesn't show some damage from this occurrence. All, repeat all, of mine showed such damage.
HTH, good luck, Joe

IP Logged

thop
Senior Forum Member

Reply #9 - Jan 28th, 2008 at 1:27pm
Print Post  
Thanks Joe!  Sounds very straight forward when explained.  My rifle seems to be in good shape, timing wise, and shows very little wear on the camming plates.  There is evidence, however, that someone tried to drive the breach block out of the top of the receiver with the striker in the fired position at one time or another.  Firing pin marks at the top of the chamber and strike marks on the bottom of the breach block makes me believe that some uninitiated person removed (or tried to remove) the breach block with it uncocked.  They may even have had to replace the firing pin since the one that is in the gun now looks fine.  Thanks again for your excellent explanation.  THOP

thop

IP Logged

Brent
Ex Member

Reply #10 - Jan 28th, 2008 at 1:30pm
Print Post  
thop wrote on Jan 28th, 2008 at 1:27pm:
Thanks Joe!  Sounds very straight forward when explained.  My rifle seems to be in good shape, timing wise, and shows very little wear on the camming plates.  There is evidence, however, that someone tried to drive the breach block out of the top of the receiver with the striker in the fired position at one time or another.  Firing pin marks at the top of the chamber and strike marks on the bottom of the breach block makes me believe that some uninitiated person removed (or tried to remove) the breach block with it uncocked.  They may even have had to replace the firing pin since the one that is in the gun now looks fine.  Thanks again for your excellent explanation.  THOP

FWIW, I have a striker mark at the top of my receiver and I put it there.  Not because I was trying to do what you describe but because the firing pin let go while in the midst of assembly.  It is darn hard (for me) to get the sear's tail to align with the transfer bar w/o letting the pin go.  How one gets around this, I don't know but that's where the marks on my action come from.

Brent

IP Logged

harry_eales
Ex Member

Reply #11 - Jan 28th, 2008 at 1:52pm
Print Post  
Quote:
I don't reccomend removing the safety catch lever or safety. I blew away the sky screen on my chronograph when I snappped the lever closed. This rifle was missing the catch lever. On a Borchardt, having the safety re-engage each time you reload, is for your protection and those around you.

zrifleman,

If you, as you say, you 'snapped' the lever closed (and didn't touch the trigger whilst doing so ?)  then I submit that having no safety catch had nothing to do with the rifle discharging whatsoever. What you actions did, was jar the sear off it's notch. 

This could be due to either to sloppy fits throughout the trigger mechanism or a poor sear to sear notch relationship which permitted the sear to release.

From a purely engineering point of view, the Borchardt has perhaps the most complex trigger to firing pin design of any American single shot action, in that it works around corners (like Borchardts later design which became the Luger pistol)

The fitting tolerances between all the moving parts and the pins on which they are held have to be very tight indeed, not only that, the firing pin sear notch has to be perfectly aligned with the sear tip every time for a consistant trigger pull.

This means that the cocking cam plates, and the cocking pin have to fitted so precisely that they move the firing pin squarely to the rear during cocking, that the fit between the rear of the firing pin and the firing pin spring cap and the pin which holds it in place and also fits into a slot at the rear of the firing pin, all have to be fitted with the precision of a Swiss watch. (Not something that is usually found on a mass produced militarty rifle).

The Military Borchardt has a very poor reputation as far as a good trigger pull is concerned, but it can be restored and brought to a one pound pull which is reliable and safe, but only if a lot of work is done on all the parts to ensure a precise fitted relationship. 

On a rifle that is at least 125 years old, and which has probably seen some considerable use, it is very likely that some parts will be worn, and therefore subject to some mechanical 'play'.

With respect, I submit that your premature discharge was caused by a part or parts that had worn out of dimensional tolerance, rather than the fact that a safety catch was abscent. 

Harry   

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint